Storage Space In Chiangmai

Larry

With all the people coming and going in Chiangmai, I was wondering whether there is a need for safe, reasonably-priced storage space in a central location in town, as an alternative to renting a whole room for a few things. I have a place in mind that would even allow safes to be bolted in. If there is anyone interested, please contact me.

Please feel free to comment on the forum as to whether you think such a storage idea is viable. Suggestions gratefully accepted.

Since I've previously posted here seeking storage, I was very interested when I saw this topic.

So I contacted "Larry" and talked by phone.

As I understand it, this is basically a "self-storage" arrangement in an empty room in a private home here in Chiangmai.

It's not a high-tech facility with security cameras, electronic gates, alarm systems, and all of that.

He will provide cubicles that can be locked; but you provide the lock, and you keep the key.

Since this is an ordinary home, I assume the fire protection is what one would find in an ordinary home here -- that is, none.

So I asked about bringing in my own storage cabinet -- I have in mind a fire-resistant file cabinet.

He was agreeable.

I haven't seen the location yet, but Larry said it is ground floor, so rolling in would be easy.

I've already started shopping for a fire-resistant file.

What I like about this deal is the location: a private house, with people living there.

It is very low-key; not a bank, nor a public storage building.

If I go in or out carrying 100 kilos of gold bars, nobody will know what is in my backpack, (except the trusted readers of this forum).

He is renting space by the cubic meter.

I won't discuss prices here, because it is not my business to do that, but I will say the rates are very reasonable.

I would say prices are cheap, but I won't, because I don't want Larry to get any ideas.

One advantage -- or maybe a disadvantage, depending on your needs.

To access the storage room, a customer needs to call Larry, who will go to meet you and to unlock the room.

He does not live there -- apparently it's a rental house with tenants.

You wouldn't want to do that in the wee hours of the night, perhaps in an emergency, as might be possible with some 24-hour storage place.

But then, there is no 24-hour storage place anywhere around here.

Another advantage -- or, again, disadvantage.

There isn't much anonymity with this offer.

With a public storage locker, nobody sees what you put in there, and nobody cares how often you go in or out, or who meets you on the outside.

But with this arrangement, Larry, or someone, is there every time you want to access your cubicle.

If one were thinking to store big plastic bags of aromatic leaves, or little plastic bags of organic powders, or anything along those lines, this wouldn't be the right place at all.

At least, I hope it wouldn't.

Disclosure: I don't know "Larry"; I've never met him.

Only talked by phone and a few emails.

I've decided to go ahead and rent a one-meter space for a year, and see how it works out.

-- Oneman

Edited by Oneman

Another threat of storage here in Thailand that I would be concerned about is flooding. Something goes wrong in the rainy season.. a flood from outside, or as I've seen at a couple houses, a balcony upstairs has a clogged drainpipe, the water backs up so high, it rushes in under the door, down the stairs to the lower floors and floods an inch or two everywhere down below. Bad if you have,say your computer or boxes of important documents on the ground. I am sure Larry is being very conscientious here, but do keep this in mind when securing your stuff for a good spate of time here. You never know what can go wrong with a Thai house and the wet season can be harsh and throw unforeseen hazards at a homeowner.

Another threat of storage here in Thailand that I would be concerned about is flooding.

...Excellent point.

Thank you.

I didn't think of that.

But now I will.

...Perhaps bricks or cement blocks at the corners would be sufficient.

Certainly worth preparing.

-- Oneman

Edited by Oneman

Just to answer some concerns expressed. The mooban where house is located is a safe one, and very central. We live in the same mooban, about one minute's walk away. In order to get to the rental room, you have to go through a townhouse, and no one else has access. While I would be opening and closing, I would not have access to anyone's cubicle, and they would put the lock on themselves. As to flooding, as far as I know, the mooban doesnt get affected by that.....but all the cubicles will have shelves as well. The security is better than if things are kept in an untenanted apartment for months. And yes, I will have people sign a statement that there are no drugs, etc. being stored.

The storage cages are all finished, and we have done what we can to alleviate any possibility of flooding. In general, though, our mooban doesn't flood. The four cages are each 1.5 cubic meters, and we will be renting them for 1000 baht a month. Everything is ventilated and clean, and there is access to parking, water, space to pack and repack. Contact me if you are interested. Thanks for all the helpful comments.

If you saw the set-up (needing to get through an entire house and then breaking into a separate structure, steel cages, etc), I think you might change your opinion. It's not Fort Knox, but the security is pretty good. Four cages in the entire place will not attract any thieves. In addition, the mooban guard would start wondering why someone is standing in front of the house for days. Remember, also that this mooban has only one entrance....no thru traffic. Finally, there are a lot bigger and prettier houses around to rob.

I would be worried about break ins, since its in a residential area. Even though there are tenants, the thieves would just have to watch them for a few days to suss out their coming and goings. I would much prefer to store my goods in a commercial location that has proper security.