Charged For Package At Rawai Post

saneroad

I picked up a box of 3 books ordered from Amazon.com today at the Rawai Post Office and was told I had to pay 490 baht duty for it. Shocker!

I've made several orders over the years and was never charged before.

Does anyone know, is this a new policy or have I just been lucky to avoid it in the past?

Also, since I probably won't be doing this again since I hate to pay for things twice, can anyone recommend good booksellers, online or otherwise, in Phuket/Thailand? I've found lately that the main chains, Se-Ed and B2S that used to carry a good selection of English books now have pretty dire pickings in stock, particularly for kids' books.

Please help, I need my books fix!

I picked up a box of 3 books ordered from Amazon.com today at the Rawai Post Office and was told I had to pay 490 baht duty for it. Shocker!

Does anyone know, is this a new policy or have I just been lucky to avoid it in the past?

Also, since I probably won't be doing this again since I hate to pay for things twice, can anyone recommend good booksellers, online or otherwise, in Phuket/Thailand? I've found lately that the main chains, Se-Ed and B2S that used to carry a good selection of English books now have pretty dire pickings in stock, particularly for kids' books.

This has happened to me in the past with Amazon. Sometimes a fee, sometimes no fee. I did however receive an expensive parcel from Kathu post office recently and was shocked to find there was nothing to pay.

Seems it depends on how they feel.

Books should come tax free.. tho if theres anything else in the package even just 1 CD, then the whole package and shipping costs get taxed..

I order a amazon book box about once every 2 months for the last couple of years.. Havent paid taxes ever on books only with that policy.

This has happened to me in the past with Amazon. Sometimes a fee, sometimes no fee. I did however receive an expensive parcel from Kathu post office recently and was shocked to find there was nothing to pay.

Seems it depends on how they feel.

On the road to Phuket Town from Chalong (Chao Fa East) there is a secondhand book store on the left at one of the lights. All foreign languages. You can return your books for discount after you read them. Don't recall if they have kids books. There used to be another good one oppopsite Club Med in Kata, but I think it's a 7-11 now.

SB

At Rawai post i picked up 2 boxes sent by family. I was charged 1 baht for each box. At first I thought it was a joke then last week also the same 1 baht charge. I don't understand. Anyone know why?

I just ordered 3 books from http://www.kinokuniya.com/

They are in Bangkok. It was 280 to have them delivered here. I wanted to order one more book and it was the same delivery charge. So I will wait until I want some more.

however they came in TWO days!!! I was still waiting for the payment confirmation and they were delivered, not by post though.

It is not an instant payment by the way..

Also www.asiabooks.com same company as Bookazine but the prices for special order are higher in Phuket then online.

Does anyone know if Amazon UK has cheaper shipping charges? I found for Ebay this is true and better to buy from UK Sellers.

Books books books, perhaps the Phuket forum could have some kind of topic where we list books we want to sell/trade.

I just am not going to sell my good books for 50 baht at a book store.

A Phuket forum book exchange is a fabulous idea! I've got loads on my shelves that I should dust off and trade away. How to set up?

There are plenty of bars that already offer free trade-in/take away book exchange service. Maybe Don would care to host a TV book exchange ??

A Phuket forum book exchange is a fabulous idea! I've got loads on my shelves that I should dust off and trade away. How to set up?

There are plenty of bars that already offer free trade-in/take away book exchange service. Maybe Don would care to host a TV book exchange ??

I know there are bars and guests houses with book exchanges but I dont want to rummage through books. An oniine listing of available books from other people on the island would be great. A few cross references of genres and a link to the contact info. I dont want to go sift through boxes of dusty books. There is a library at my work .. so I am not short of reading material but sometimes there are just certain books, or topics or authors I am interested am not intersted in Grisham, Patterson, Cook and Brown .......

My list for sale starts like this:

Chicago Manuale of Style

Farwell Waltz by Milan Kundera

Katoey the Thrid Sex

Pamala Anderson Autobiography

Bangkok Blonds

haha mind you some of these are books that people left me..........

There could even be a feedback rating like ebay or half.com and best of all if you wanted have a book mailed it is so cheap to mail domestically. I think most people would be happy tor 100-200 baht a book considering used bookstores sell them for 300+

By the way Kinokunya does have a good selection of books. I was shocked to find a Mac Manual that was recomended me...