Mr Friend Has A Book By An Author Who Is In Thai Jail.

Jim's_a_Thai_Fox

No need to tell you the name of the book, however on grounds of lese-majeste the author got into serious trouble in Thailand. I believe he is currently in Thai prison awaiting trial. :D

My friend has a copy of this person's book, I do not know where he got it from. It is a serious long shot that anyone will ever discover the book in my friend's house, however, as a hypothetical question, could he get arrested (or whatever) for owning/possessing it? :)

Cheers

Im not sure how serious they are about that but with Thailands recent ridiculous actions I'd say its a very real possibility he could be in trouble if caught.

As long as your friend doesn't go waving the book around in front of a police station, I would say that the threat is nil. If its a good book, put it on the bookshelf. If not, put it in the trash.

Books are not banned in Thailand. If a problem with a book arises, it is usually self-censorship by the bookseller after being "warned/notified" that the book in question is of ill-repute. There is absolutely no reason to hide books in Thailand. This isn't China or Burma or N. Korea. You would have to be carrying a book that graphically depicts you-know-who in less than flattering imagery before you'd run into trouble.

Books are not banned in Thailand.

You are mistaken. There is a fairly large list of books banned in Thailand which I'm not going to list here due to LM issues regarding some of them, just Google it.

In all the years I have lived in Thailand I have never been visited by the police, the average cop can not speak or read English so if they went through your book case they would be looking for something hidden within the books rather than at the books themselves.

If your friend does nothing to attract attention to himself he has nothing to worry about.

Be carefull what you tell your friends, today's friends can be tomorrows enemy, some one out for revenge could easily use this information to cause you a lot of trouble.

Is it the book that caused the problem or the book he wrote about his jail time?

I was wondering the other day if the film The King and I is still banned in Thailand and, if so and if Yul Brynner were still alive would he be PNG? Just an idle thought experiment.

Also, is the film Madagascar banned here? Copies of Madagascar 2 everywhere but not the first one, Mai kow jai...

(Love those penguins :) )

You are mistaken. There is a fairly large list of books banned in Thailand which I'm not going to list here due to LM issues regarding some of them, just Google it.

This is true, but the list does not include the infamous book that everyone thinks is banned. Go to a bookshop and order it and they say it is banned, but on the government website that lists all banned books it is not there. Hilariously, if you check out Chula Library on the internet, they helpfully inform you that they ordered the book a few years back and are awaiting a copy... It would be funny to send in a reservation request for it...

Is it the book that caused the problem or the book he wrote about his jail time?

I was wondering the other day if the film The King and I is still banned in Thailand and, if so and if Yul Brynner were still alive would he be PNG? Just an idle thought experiment.

Also, is the film Madagascar banned here? Copies of Madagascar 2 everywhere but not the first one, Mai kow jai...

There is a copy of the King and I in he big Video shop in CM. The owner says it is niot banned here.

JOHNA wrote"

"Be carefull what you tell your friends, today's friends can be tomorrows enemy, some one out for revenge could easily use this information to cause you a lot of trouble."

I totally agree, loose talk can bounce back at you very easily.

In fact I have a farang friend who has lived here in Thailand for nearly 30 years, who has twice been 'dobbed in' by another farang who had become vengeful.

In both cases the initial farang got sacked from good jobs.

I was just discussing this point with my adult Thai son, he reinforced that Thais (like in any country) will quickly use old discusssions to get revenge. He says this is one reason (and there are others) why many Thais never voice an opinion about anything.

I'm looking across at a bookcase that has a few of them .. they are among the most 'borrowed' books I have.

I'm also reading Tacitus right now... they'd ban him if they knew what he had to say.... 2000 years old and it reads like the news coming out of Thailand.

If possession of a banned book could get you in trouble, then you could get busted for keeping the likes of

D.H Lawrence's, Lady Chattersly's Lover

James Joyce's, Ulysses..... and,

Henry Miller's, Tropic of Cancer..... and,

a thousand more book on communism.

Yes, still listed as banned in Thailand. By the way: Does Asia Books still stock the Tropic of Cancer??

**Note: Ralph Kruger's 'Devil's Discuss' (1964) English version was banned immediately on publication in Thailand, yet the Thai version was only banned a few years back, but according, only two Thai language version are known to exist. One belonging to the royal Siam Society. The English language version is possibly the most expensive rare book ever published in Thailand. Worth $1800-$3,000US. Book theorized the death of the last monarch.

Source: FACT (Freedom Against Censorship in Thailand)

Edited by Stephen Cleary

You have to be careful with internet lists of banned books - When we went on assignment to Singapore I was cautioned about banned books (I have a relatively large library, much of which relates to history and politics).

I was given a list of books banned in Singapore that was downloaded from one of these websites like FACT and I used that as a reference removing all books on the list from my shipping - I had a surprising number of them.

Some months later in Singapore I was in Border's books when I spotted one of the books I had been told was banned. I later went back to the book shop with the banned book list and found almost all of the 'Banned Books' where available in Border's books right there on Orchard Road.

(Dis)Information is Power!

**Note: Ralph Kruger's 'Devil's Discuss' (1964) English version was banned immediately on publication in Thailand, yet the Thai version was only banned a few years back, but according, only two Thai language version are known to exist. One belonging to the royal Siam Society. The English language version is possibly the most expensive rare book ever published in Thailand. Worth $1800-$3,000US. Book theorized the death of the last monarch.

Source: FACT (Freedom Against Censorship in Thailand)

discussion here http://rspas.anu.edu.au/rmap/newmandala/20...discus-in-thai/ seems to suggest that the Thai version was not banned initially because it was not known about

Edited by thaiwanderer

Books are not banned in Thailand. If a problem with a book arises, it is usually self-censorship by the bookseller after being "warned/notified" that the book in question is of ill-repute. There is absolutely no reason to hide books in Thailand. This isn't China or Burma or N. Korea. You would have to be carrying a book that graphically depicts you-know-who in less than flattering imagery before you'd run into trouble.

Ya you don't know what you are talking about.

"The King and I" is not banned and freely available

Or Austria

Thanks for the replies. Yes it was written by an Ozzie author.

I have read the first 7 chapters and it is sh*t. There are grammatical and spelling mistakes and the conversation between the characters is severely amateurish at best. I think this book sold 7 copies in Thailand... so I guess that there are at least another 6 people who can't see what all the fuss was about!

The day the Thai police come into people's houses to check for illicit belongings will be the day I skidaddle to Myannmar to live... but the comments about keeping the book under one's hat is a very good idea... thanks.

There is a copy of the King and I in he big Video shop in CM. The owner says it is niot banned here.
"The King and I" is not banned and freely available

A lot of websites say otherwise, including Time.com :)

I'm looking across at a bookcase that has a few of them .. they are among the most 'borrowed' books I have.

On a seperate post ive seen you say that all Farangs should strictly adhere to the laws of Thailand and respect their laws no matter how stupid or irrelevant one personally judges them, otherwise they deserve the full force of the law thrown at them, or is this view selective.

On a seperate post ive seen you say that all Farangs should strictly adhere to the laws of Thailand and respect their laws no matter how stupid or irrelevant one personally judges them, otherwise they deserve the full force of the law thrown at them, or is this view selective.

Heh is this true? Good call catching him on that one then.

Please drop the personal attacks as they contribute nothing.

Please drop the personal attacks as they contribute nothing.

They are also misdirected. Because, as I point out above what is banned and what is believed to be banned are not necessarily the same thing - and that puts aside any argument of is what is 'banned' actually illegal. As someone points out above, a lot of what seems to be banned is self censorship - I can give an example.

I have a book 'The Cars that Ate Bangkok' by a guy called Philip Blenkinsop - When first published it got a lot of media coverage and was selling well in Thailand (It is a photo essay of the environmental, health, social damage being done by cars in Bangkok) - It does not paint a pretty picture.

Next thing complaints are made by a few politicos that this is showing Thailand in a bad light and all of a sudden the book cannot be found - Not banned, simply pressure put on not to distribute the book.

---

For the record. I recently imported all of my household belongings, including my books - an index of which was submitted with the inventory - Not smuggled in - Declared and cleared by Thai Customs.

The accusation that I am somehow breaking the law is therefore unfounded.

They are also misdirected. Because, as I point out above what is banned and what is believed to be banned are not necessarily the same thing - and that puts aside any argument of is what is 'banned' actually illegal. As someone points out above, a lot of what seems to be banned is self censorship - I can give an example.

I have a book 'The Cars that Ate Bangkok' by a guy called Philip Blenkinsop - When first published it got a lot of media coverage and was selling well in Thailand (It is a photo essay of the environmental, health, social damage being done by cars in Bangkok) - It does not paint a pretty picture.

Next thing complaints are made by a few politicos that this is showing Thailand in a bad light and all of a sudden the book cannot be found - Not banned, simply pressure put on not to distribute the book.

---

For the record. I recently imported all of my household belongings, including my books - an index of which was submitted with the inventory - Not smuggled in - Declared and cleared by Thai Customs.

The accusation that I am somehow breaking the law is therefore unfounded.

Lol lot of sidestepping and dodging, are your books banned or not?

I wouldn't take the incompetence of Thai customs as the final say in whether a book is banned or not, they are bound to miss quite alot when they are so busy looking for things to extort you on (outrageous tax amounts).

I wouldn't take the incompetence of Thai customs as the final say in whether a book is banned or not, they are bound to miss quite alot when they are so busy looking for things to extort you on (outrageous tax amounts).

Look at it this way - The bar stool barristers might very well say some of the books I have are banned - certainly discussing some of them (and/or their contents) here on TV would warrant having the post closed/removed under the rules we signed up to (Hence no detailed discussion) - but of course that does not necessarily mean they are illegal books - Simply TV has rules have decided that some topics are not open for discussion here on this privately owned website. In general I agree with those rules and endeavor to abide by them - but they are not Thai law.

My books have been declared to and cleared by Thai Customs - So I say they are not illegal (or rather they have been legally imported) - If you wish to start pointing the finger at the competence of the Thai Customs Officers .. well up2u.

As you pointed out earlier, I do believe we foreigners should abide by the local laws - I believe I have done so.

If you have evidence that I have not, then let's have it. Or alternatively you might admit not having evidence that I have in anyway broken Thai law.

Look at it this way - The bar stool barristers might very well say some of the books I have are banned - certainly discussing some of them (and/or their contents) here on TV would warrant having the post closed/removed under the rules we signed up to (Hence no detailed discussion) - but of course that does not necessarily mean they are illegal books - Simply TV has rules have decided that some topics are not open for discussion here on this privately owned website. In general I agree with those rules and endeavor to abide by them - but they are not Thai law.

My books have been declared to and cleared by Thai Customs - So I say they are not illegal (or rather they have been legally imported) - If you wish to start pointing the finger at the competence of the Thai Customs Officers .. well up2u.

As you pointed out earlier, I do believe we foreigners should abide by the local laws - I believe I have done so.

If you have evidence that I have not, then let's have it. Or alternatively you might admit not having evidence that I have in anyway broken Thai law.

Im just pokin fun at you because people that believe in following the law no matter how outrageously unjust it is make me squirm with irritation lol. ESPECIALLY when the local authorities don't. No matter how religiously you follow the law here you can easily fall victim of it and have it used against you. Wrong place wrong time or even if you try to "do the right thing" as I have only to have the law turn around and try to be used against you just for being an honourable and righteous person.... This is the last country you can blindly follow the law and think you are safe from it.

I say good luck to anyone who reads or has brought into Thailand any book that is banned whether declared at customs or not.

Such a law banning books that dont fit into someone in powers ideals is nothing short of a national disgrace ...... would you agree?

Edited by sanmiguel