Skype Phones?

Hi could someone please inform me if it is possible to buy Skype phones in Thailand and if so where? or is it only available on computers?

Cheers

If you live in UK/Europe some other countries you can buy a skpe mobile which acts as a normal mobile but also with skype button function - so talk for free on mobile to anywhere in the world with skyp..you have to pay £10 top up every 90 days for this function

i had one 5 months ago - reception is great i

doesn't work outside of the regions specified so in Thailand you need a computer.

Yeah i have a skype phone here in England and was wondering if the skype would still work in Thailand. My GF said that there was a skype shop that sells skype phones in a shopping mall in Bangkok. Can't remember which one she said but was a major shopping mall in Siam area. Just did a google search but can't find anything specific.

Yeah i have a skype phone here in England and was wondering if the skype would still work in Thailand. My GF said that there was a skype shop that sells skype phones in a shopping mall in Bangkok. Can't remember which one she said but was a major shopping mall in Siam area. Just did a google search but can't find anything specific.

When i bought mine it said it didn't cover Thailand so I left it back home as I had another mobile i prefer to use as the battery life was a bit short for my liking.

The skype function wouldn't work here unless they have upgraded their system you need to check the website but the mobile itself would so you would lose nothing by trying it out here..

get a mobile device running windows 6.1 with wifi and install skype mobile. i use it all the time like this. ie: just yesterday i was sitting in a starbucks in bangkok ,connected to the wifi, made a skype out call to a landline in New Zealand (a bank)...crystal clear, great performance.

Edited by kiakaha

get a mobile device running windows 6.1 with wifi and install skype mobile. i use it all the time like this. ie: just yesterday i was sitting in a starbucks in bangkok ,connected to the wifi, made a skype out call to a landline in New Zealand (a bank)...crystal clear, great performance.

Skype WiFi phones are easily available in Thailand. Manufactured by Belkin and Netgear etc.

Skype WiFi phones are easily available in Thailand. Manufactured by Belkin and Netgear etc.

yep, but in my opinion i'd rather carry 1 single converged device(such as an HTC running windows mobile 6.1 or an iPhone) , rather than multiple hardware devices for each specfic application(cellphone, music player, skype phone, usb drive etc...)

I have a Panasonic landline phone that comes with a little usb wi fi adaptor it allows normal house phone use & as long as skype is running on your computer it access's it this way i'm still in the UK but i see no reason why this would not work in Thailand maybe the phone may not work on my TT&T line but i hope so as its a great handset.

Now i'm even happier i see that skype have now added Thai Mobiles & Landlines to their world subscription plan so 10,000 minutes a month for £6.99

I bought this phone for my Voipdiscount that i use for free calls to Thai mobiles but was surprised when i found out its locked to skype only.

I just use skype on the PC. Works ok for me. :D

Yes but if its a long call to family or friends its nice to know that with a wireless handset you can move around your home

& your not tied to your laptop,i could even nip over the road & buy a beer from grandma's mom & pop shop :)

• 3 months later...

I've tried this with Skype and it's not working for some reason...

I have a Nokia E61i phone (unlocked on True) in BKK that works fine with various Wifi connections, including my own at home. I downloaded and installed Skype Lite on it, and that went pretty well.

But when I went to set up the Skype program on my phone, it asked for my country from a pull-down list. And Thailand wasn't among those listed. So I chose other, and then entered my Thai mobile number with the 66 country code. After doing that, and trying to make a Skype call to the U.S., (and having sufficient Skype Out credit in my Skype account), I got a Skype program message saying, "Phone calling not available in your region."

OK. So then I tried rejiggering the Skype settings...and changing the default phone number to one I have in the U.S., and changing the country selection to U.S. Then, when I tried to call a U.S. phone number using Skype, via my Wifi here in BKK, the Skype program popped up a message wanting to call (via my mobile phone) a different U.S. phone number to connect to Skype. Huh???

So, bottom line, how do you get the <deleted> thing to work here in Thailand for making phone calls via Wifi from a Thai-based mobile phone??? The rest of the Skype program, for chatting and such, no problem.

So, bottom line, how do you get the <deleted> thing to work here in Thailand for making phone calls via Wifi from a Thai-based mobile phone??? The rest of the Skype program, for chatting and such, no problem.

Skype Lite doesn't use wifi (so beware, those IMs you think are going through wifi are actually going through GPRS/EDGE and you'll be charged by your mobile provider for data use). Skype Lite works in a similar way to a calling card i.e. by dialling a number in your country and charging you a local or national rate to this number (a 'Skype To Go' number, you would be billed by your mobile provider for this part of the call - Thailand has no such number anyway), then making the international connection through this number and charging you the Skype rate for that part of the call journey (you would be billed by Skype for this part of the call). It's basically completely rubbish. As far as I know, if you want to use 'true' Skype through wifi, you'll need Skype 3.0 on a phone running Windows, or Skype for iPhone (I use the Skype app on the iPhone and it works pretty much as it would on the computer).

Thanks MK.... I read the basic documentation on the Skype Lite web page, but didn't see any explanation along the lines of the one you give above....

But that would explain why my Symbian-based Nokia phone, when using Skype Lite, was trying to dial a Skype number in the U.S., when I tried to use it to dial my own number in the U.S.

And if you need an IPhone or a Windows Mobile device to use the Wifi feature with Skype (via the full Skype program, not Skype Lite), that pretty well lets out a big world of Nokia users here in Thailand and elsewhere...

There are other IM-only clients that work fine with Wifi, including I believe Fring, Yahoo, MSN Messenger and others. So without a useful phone calling capability (ie. using your Skype Out credit to make outgoing phone calls via a Wifi connection), Skype Lite isn't worth much...

I do have a large GPRS/EDGE data allotment via my True account. So data usage wouldn't be a problem. But it doesn't seem I can use Skype to make Thailand to U.S. calls via GPRS/EDGE either... :)

There are other IM-only clients that work fine with Wifi, including I believe Fring, Yahoo, MSN Messenger and others. So without a useful phone calling capability (ie. using your Skype Out credit to make outgoing phone calls via a Wifi connection), Skype Lite isn't worth much...

I do have a large GPRS/EDGE data allotment via my True account. So data usage wouldn't be a problem. But it doesn't seem I can use Skype to make Thailand to U.S. calls via GPRS/EDGE either... :)

I think you're out of luck on the calls unfortunately jf... And yeah, I totally agree about the info concerning Skype Lite on the Skype site. It's confusing and misleading in my opinion.