1-2-call Cuts Phone Rates

pautai

Never had any problems with AIS/1-2 Talk! Thus far everywhere I've traveled in Thailand it seems to work.

albeit at a much higher cost than DTAC with the same coverage areas... :o

Apparently not the same coverage areas. I'd switch from AIS to DTAC myself if it would work as well in my village, but alas. Everytime my friend comes up from Korat with his DTAC phone, he complains about the poor signal up here. AIS is maxed out on my phone.

Never had any problems with AIS/1-2 Talk! Thus far everywhere I've traveled in Thailand it seems to work.

albeit at a much higher cost than DTAC with the same coverage areas... :o

Apparently not the same coverage areas. I'd switch from AIS to DTAC myself if it would work as well in my village, but alas. Everytime my friend comes up from Korat with his DTAC phone, he complains about the poor signal up here. AIS is maxed out on my phone.

granted there always seems to pockets where one network or another don't function optimally, eg. I used DTAC in Ranong where AIS didn't work. I guess the bottomline is that either one works in MOST areas... but for AIS to advertise as "anywhere, anytime, anyone" is clearly bogus.

Thaitanic,

You can only keep your number going from one2call to subscription but not the other way around!

You certainly can't keep your number moving to a different company...

ahhh number portability!!!!! very complex issue in Thailand due to number allocations and mentality. Im still fasinated why non-thais cannot have post paid accounts - wait silly me "we might skip the country and not pay the bill"

:D
... Orange is in second place, because of their limited coverage area, which excludes many areas around here and many other places in Thailand.

hmm, I have not found a place here yet where I could not use orange. But I did find spots in BKK where AIS does give you a strong signal, but you cannot make a call, and if someone calls you, you cannot here the caller speaking, and it cuts after a short time. And that in the middle of BKK. And just where I had to stay for some time. :o

Overall, DTAC is fine, Orange is fine, but throw away AIS / 1-2-call.

oarnge is great in BKK, but if you tavel around at all, it sux. Wa sin Koih Samui and I couldn't make or recieve calls from my place. The highest reception I ever got was 3 bars (out of 5), and with that you never knew when you were actually on the network... If you nevr leave BKK orange is fine, though

I'm most of the time not in BKK, and Orange works very fine, everywhere, well at least everywhere I happen to go. The Bangkok only limit was some years ago.

I have been several times in the deepest Isaan, almost Laos already, and after AIS and DTAC passed, I still had a 2 bar signal form Orange. I also used Orange in Koh Samui, and no problems. Where there (and when) did you get the low signal?

There are probably still holes in their network, but at least they are nice and do not have them where I travel :D

On the other side in BKK, Sukhumvit, around the Ambassador, there are places where you have a strong signal with AIS, but you cannot call anyone, and if you receive a call you cannot understand the caller. SMS does get through sometimes, and often not. And that not just one time, but always. It is quite annoying if you always have to go down to the street, and walk 50 m to be able to use your AIS phone. I never had this problem with DTAC and Orange. (yes, I have more than one phone, I can compare).

What will be the best option if you want a monthly bill? AIS or DTac?

Whatever you do STAY AWAY FROM AIS.

I had a prepaid AIS card with a great number so when the opportunity came I make it postpay. At the time we weren't sure which plan to make but the office in Sri Racha said "no worries, you can always change plan later.".

Now I want to change plan - and they tell me I can't.

Bah. Even with my great number I am in a right mind to tell them to get stuffed and get a DTAC subscription.

Taking AIS would be a bad decision for any farang. At least DTAC have two farangs on the board, presumably caring minimally for our interest, whereas AIS just have TOXIC TOXIN who clearly doesn't care having us as guests or customers.

What will be the best option if you want a monthly bill? AIS or DTac?

Whatever you do STAY AWAY FROM AIS.

I had a prepaid AIS card with a great number so when the opportunity came I make it postpay. At the time we weren't sure which plan to make but the office in Sri Racha said "no worries, you can always change plan later.".

Now I want to change plan - and they tell me I can't.

Bah. Even with my great number I am in a right mind to tell them to get stuffed and get a DTAC subscription.

Taking AIS would be a bad decision for any farang. At least DTAC have two farangs on the board, presumably caring minimally for our interest, whereas AIS just have TOXIC TOXIN who clearly doesn't care having us as guests or customers.

DTAC cares and has the best network coverage according to the network coverage plan on the Internet and using a Nokia mobile phone gives you always 5 bar maximum signal. Using other sexy styled cheap mobile phones can surprise you sometimes: 1-2 bar signal outside cities

Happy DTAC :o Nokia combination. PS: If you travel upcountry you can really test this winning combination.

Shows how much we are being ripped off here in NZ at almost 20bt per min

never compare international or country to country costs on a straight up one to one. average income Thailand per month approx B7000 I think you will find NZ is a little Higher!!! work out COL then compare.

Nothing to do with income, it's all about competition. In NZ there are only 2 cell phone providers, hence about the higest rates in the OECD.

Maybe you guys with reception probs aren't using Nokias! :D

I have never had a rec prob, in fact I still have my original Orange Nokia "brick" from when mobiles started in the UK.

My last 3315 got wet recently and am looking at the 3120 as a replacement.

Has anyone got this model in LoS?

DTAC RULES :o

but for AIS to advertise as "anywhere, anytime, anyone" is clearly bogus.

Wanna file a false advertising complaint with the Prime Minister's office...? :D

If I did, it could include Air Asia, AIS, ShinSat, ITV television, etc. etc. etc. etc.

:o

oh.... and whatever the name of his prodigal son's company is too...

AND... the corporation headed by his maid...

AND... the partnership whose largest shareholder is his chauffeur...

AND... the business which has his cook as the CEO...

AND... the conglomerate which has his gardener as the boss...

Thailand = Thaksinland

:D

Edited by sriracha john

ummm.....the happydprompt offer is not as good as it seemed to be......the first minute will be charged 3 Baht from 23-00-17.00 hours and even 5 Baht from 17.00-23.00 hours......yeah thats the THAI way......

by the way (okay its off-topic), can anybody list all the Thaksin and Thaksin-relatives businesses and companies, so people know which products or services to avoid in the future....unfortunately, I wont be able to avoid airasia, as I always loved the wonderful Malaysian air asia with their professional management and already had 6 Thai-airasia flights within the past 2 months......well, Thaiairasia is the only way to reach Sabah nonstop from BKK.....and its dead cheap.....

Thaitanic,

You can only keep your number going from one2call to subscription but not the other way around!

You certainly can't keep your number moving to a different company...

ahhh number portability!!!!! very complex issue in Thailand due to number allocations and mentality. Im still fasinated why non-thais cannot have post paid accounts - wait silly me "we might skip the country and not pay the bill"

I'm not Thai and I have post-paid, but I did need a work permit to open the account