Honda V. Chevrolet

My step-daughter asked me this question the other day and I told her I don't know the correct answer, but would ask. So does anyone who knows more about cars than myself, not too difficult, have any reliable answers. She also asked about petrol v. diesel. I told her that they both have advantages and disadvantages after reading the various past threads on the subject. The Honda she is interested in is the CRV and the Chevrolet the Captiva. I like the looks of the Captiva, but am not convinced about Chevrolet. She is interested in buying a new car as well, not second-hand. Thanks for any pointers/opinions.

My step-daughter asked me this question the other day and I told her I don't know the correct answer, but would ask. So does anyone who knows more about cars than myself, not too difficult, have any reliable answers. She also asked about petrol v. diesel. I told her that they both have advantages and disadvantages after reading the various past threads on the subject. The Honda she is interested in is the CRV and the Chevrolet the Captiva. I like the looks of the Captiva, but am not convinced about Chevrolet. She is interested in buying a new car as well, not second-hand. Thanks for any pointers/opinions.

I drive an old style CRV.

Splendid car, looks good, drives nicely, good cornering, and also, I presume, quite safe to drive, reliable!

However.

It is not very cheap to drive, uses about a litre of petrol for every 9-9,5 km.

On LPG, 60 litres of LPG every 480 km.

Not typical for my car alone, brother in law and friend of my wife drive the same type of Honda, same story.

I think the new style Honda may use the same amount of petrol or LPG, or maybe even CNG.

And I really do not like the new model, but that is personal.

The Captiva seems to be ok, seems to be more frugal

The differences between diesel and petrol engines are getting smaller and smaller.

The only thing that ends the discussion is the more frugal ways of the diesel.

Me, next car will be diesel.

I don't know how the individual models may differ from the USA to Thailand versions, but as an American with the same choices presented to me here, I'd go with the Honda every time. Better technology, WAY better reliability. Have owned both in the US, currently drive a Honda.

American cars tend to stay with me for about a year before I grow weary of dealing their problems and trade them in. Japanese cars stay with me for many years until they are so old that I just want newer model. Have had Honda's and Nissan's with over 350k miles on the clock, only standard maintenance, and still run just fine. Never had a Chevy, Ford, or Chrysler even come close. Just my experience, but I would avoid anything made by the US owned auto-makers, unless you really like headaches.

The Captiva because of the far more efficient diesel engine.

But upon resale, the price difference would be negated I would think. The Captiva, while perhaps cheaper to run if it's a diesel, will have a much poorer resale than a CRV. If resale isn't an issue, then it's best to test drive both. As for reliability; all cars have problems as they age - cust spent 14K reparing my honda for various little things, and it's just got 130K on the clock (and it's regularly maintained as well).

I don't know how the individual models may differ from the USA to Thailand versions, but as an American with the same choices presented to me here, I'd go with the Honda every time. Better technology, WAY better reliability. Have owned both in the US, currently drive a Honda.

American cars tend to stay with me for about a year before I grow weary of dealing their problems and trade them in. Japanese cars stay with me for many years until they are so old that I just want newer model. Have had Honda's and Nissan's with over 350k miles on the clock, only standard maintenance, and still run just fine. Never had a Chevy, Ford, or Chrysler even come close. Just my experience, but I would avoid anything made by the US owned auto-makers, unless you really like headaches.

Korat88,

I gotta agree with Bobo - big time. Over the space of 19 years, I had 2 hondas. 300k+ on each odometer. For the most part, I only had to worry about normal maintenance. At around 160-180k, had to replace certain parts that just wore out - alternator (Honda #2), timing belt on both Hondas (Honda uses fabric belts rather than metal belts and replacing them at about 150k is considered normal maintenance), brake rotors (again both cars - brake rotors do wear out on any vehicle, and some suspension bushings (Honda #1). Then they were both good as new for another 140k+.

Cars just cost too much to entrust GM/Chevy with my hard earned cash. Most of my experience with GM products was, thankfully, limited to those times when I had to rent a car on business trips . After everytime, I got stuck with a Chevy (or other GM product) rental, I swore that I would never step into a GM dealership. But, I did give many rides to friends whose GM car was at the dealership being repaired - again!

If you want your daughter to become an expert in recognizing automobile maintenance and repair issues, by all means buy her a Chevy. However, if she would rather go thru life blissfully unaware of what lies below an auto's hood and body - buy her a Honda. Just make sure the normal maintenance is performed.

One more point to consider. Chevy's position in Thailand is very weak. Believe its market share is about 1-1.5% of the market - even lower than Ford's.

How much longer can anybody really expect Chevy to maintain its existing dealer network in Thailand? E.g., the former Chevy dealer close to my home is now a Proton dealer. The potential of no dealerships in the future will translate, to you and her, to being dependent on independent garages knowing how to service a car that are they are relatively unfamiliar with and potentially long waits for repair parts that may not be readily available on the local market. I don't believe that Obama's promise that the US government will honor all GM product warranties will apply to cars purchased in Thailand. :)

Americans can't build quality cars anymore. They built the best cars in the seventies and erlier. Of corse big V8, for car lovers, like me (i only drive old American Cars, up to now). But a small 4 cylinder car, i wouldn't consider to buy a US Car. Classic example: Chrysler Neons, nothing than headache and very expensive parts. Those Chevies in LOS aren't the "real Chevies detroit steel monsters anymore. There are all Korean Plastic Cars. Both, Captiva and CRV looking awful to me, basicly they looking almost similar, because they try to copy all the bodystyles from each other, that in the end all looks the same: Ugly!. So in this case, and if you willing to buy a economical Family SUV, it is better to buy the Honda. Resale will be better and a Benzine engine runs smoother and finer than a "rattlediesel". (My personal opinion)

Edited by stingray