Is There An Easy Remedy To Reduce Heat Transmission Through Windows

gdhm

Hi,

BACKGROUND and PROBLEM:

We are finding that even though I heavily reduced the number of windows originally shown in the architects plans to our new house that heat insulation is poor.

I used 6inch attic fibreglass insulation and 10cm Qcon bricks for ALL inside and exterior walls however the glass the builder used for my house I feel is clearly NOT what I instructed (with 15% or so tinting) and the windows transmit a lot of heat into the house and are the main cause of the heat in our larger lounge (to be honest I expected the Qcon walls to have been MUCH cooler in touch as well - very disappointed -maybe I expected too much with so much direct sunlight on the walls of the house SW facing) lounge is SW and W.

In our larger main bedroom we have black out curtain backing (which has a silver/grey coat facing the window. Although thin it does seen to have an obvious barrier effect to heat coming through the windows (more so stopping the air con cooling escaping fast (coolest room in the house.

This however is not an easy option for the Lounge. We do keep 75% curtains pulled (still plenty light) but need some light passing through.

ADVICE NEEDED PLEASE:

Have I any good reasonably low cost options to improve the barrier ability of the windows?

1)

a)Is there a feasible (as in effective, long lasting or permanent and cost) option to add a tint to the inside of the glass panes,

similar to the type one can have added to car windows, for example?

:) Do they peel, crack, become less transparent or change colour in time?

c) If NOT permanent, what is the "looking perfect and clear" life expectancy before needing to be done again?

2) Is it better and cheaper to save up and replace the windows with tinted windows?

3) Are pre tinted windows just to same as 1) above but pre done prior to fitting or is the tinting embedded in the glass panes when manufactured?

4) Who normally is best to contact for supply and fitting either option (I live in Khon Kaen so suppliers/retailers without companies or branches in this general area are not likely to be cost effective or of use for after service if required).

Thanks all

Dave