Rats In The Ceiling

OK this is now getting strange.

We have done

Poison

Cats

Dogs

and are now onto snakes - Yes that is fine.

What snake do you guys recommend?

Edited by pkrv

"...you're gonna get that rat that's what ya gonna do"

If they come back, get a thai rat trap (with the slam-shut door) and bait it with a slice or two of banana. Rat will go for a nibble and door will shut. Then next day just take it into the wild and release it. Tesco brand ham also works but the rat will probably not survive the experience.

Yeah thatl be like the " sonic cat repellers" they sell in the UK that DONT WORK save your money by a big HAMMER eeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeek!!! haahaha

Ultrasonic devices do not work because rodents rapidly become accustomed to repeated sounds (a process called habituation). Mice and rats learn that the ultrasound from the pest repeller isn't dangerous, so they gradually get used to it and return to their nesting and feeding areas.

In addition, ultrasound is quite weak and attenuates very rapidly with distance from the source (Lawrence and Simmons 1982). Half the energy of ultrasound produced by pest repellers is gone at 15 feet, and no energy remains at 30 feet. Ultrasound is therefore very short-range (Askham 1992).

I confirm;I bought one of this device.Only effect;rats don't stay just over the device but run a lot more in the ceiling.

More noise but they are hungry faster so now they come more often on the glued traps.So finally problem solved.....

• 3 weeks later...

I had a rat issue in a pattaya house i lived in, for me they would get into the attic and i would hear them running around at night sometimes above the ceiling, for those rats I just didn't care because the ceiling was sealed up from the inside of the house so they would never get in and they would generally only stay up there for a little bit before leaving so why bother with it?

The bigger problem was the kitchen that has those bricks with holes in them, but is separated from the aircond part of the house with a door- again they would come in the evening or night and leave again after scurrying around I did no like that because they would get around food stuffs and plates/utencils and when you walk in on one it sucks, so what i did is i had the contractor guy make a screen that fits plush against the holed bricks, problem solved, but then they found a new way in-this time a hole where a pip entered from outside..found the problem and clogged it, and then another one and closed that entrance too.. after that I never saw them again and slowly I stopped being apprehensive every time i entered the kitchen..

so thats the trick, find the holes where they enter and close them one at a time, don't give up if you see them again, it had to have gotten in from somewhere and try to wait until it exits, then you'll see how it got in; it always leaves the same way it gets in and it tends to have a routine, going into your place, looking around for food and then going to the next house.. rats are not like roaches-they can be sealed out pretty easily..

also someone said that if you use the poison, the rat will die somewhere else because it drinks water, but i tried that before i sealed them out and in the morning i found a dead rat, which is more disgusting than a live one because i had to put it in the trash with a dustpan. at least the live ones would let them selves out before the am and when you kill them, the next night his cousin might come around.

Edited by pkspeaker

Had rats in our attic in Australia. The rat poison worked fine, they went out for a drink and never came back.

Then we had two possums in the attic. They were good looking guys and didn't really cause any problems, check every once in a while and could find no signs of possum crap or any damage they were doing so decided to let them stay. One night we heard a bunch of squealing and thumping around and then it went quiet. Large carpet snake got into the attic and had a late night snack.. They were as big as a cat so made a nice meal for the carpet snake (python).

Never killed the snakes unless they were aggressive, they did a great job of keeping the rodents out of the area.

Had rats in our attic in Australia. The rat poison worked fine, they went out for a drink and never came back.

Then we had two possums in the attic. They were good looking guys and didn't really cause any problems, check every once in a while and could find no signs of possum crap or any damage they were doing so decided to let them stay. One night we heard a bunch of squealing and thumping around and then it went quiet. Large carpet snake got into the attic and had a late night snack.. They were as big as a cat so made a nice meal for the carpet snake (python).

Never killed the snakes unless they were aggressive, they did a great job of keeping the rodents out of the area.

I love the anecdotes :)

They have disappeared. Maybe they don't like the Thai dramas that my wife watches all night?

Hey they will be back, they just went out for a Commerical Break. Rat Bait or a Very Hungry Cat, no Garfield he is to fat and lazy :):D

• 2 weeks later...

We had some rats on our roof for 1 year or so. Then 2 moths ago the noise became worse (more rats and with children maybe).

I first used a normal mouse/rat trap with cheese, but they ate it every night, and I did just hear the snap of the trap, but no rat afterwards.... I was thinking to call Rentokil, but then my wife bought some simple rat bait in Tesco. She put it at the pipe/wall where the rats enter the roof top. After 1 night, most soud was gone, and 2nd night all silent...

Never had any smell from the dead rats.

We have a dog, but as it's just take 1 night to get rid of them, it was easy to lock her up in mean while.

BR

Allan

Do rats eat cables/wires? Don't want to start a fire.

Yes, unless they are specified as "rodent resistant" (and even that isn't "rodent proof"). Your cables should really be in conduit wherever they are exposed.

Rats will gnaw on anything that they think is even remotely edible, they have to chew to keep their teeth in shape (they grow continually).