Bluesoleil For Linux.

pop3

IVT. BlueSoleil.

v6.49.0.

Linux.incl.

Keymaker-

EMBRACE

This is what I have in my documents waiting to be installed on my eeepc 701 running Easypeasy. I know the program is good as I have had it running in the past.

Having now forgotten how I installed it I went today to Tuk.com Pattaya Thai and asked to have it installed on my computer from my documents. nobody there that I met knew Linux very well. the bottom line is after many people trying for three hours they could not find out how you install it ?

If you open it it just opens in another file manager, if you extract it it seems to just open lots of copys of itself ?

I have spent many hours looking over the internet for a command at the terminal to open it but there is just a lot of contradiction on commands, apart from that none of them work.

I remember the last time I installed it just stumbling across something that said install program but where that was I have no idea now, any help on this please :)

IVT. BlueSoleil.

v6.49.0.

Linux.incl.

Keymaker-

EMBRACE

This is what I have in my documents waiting to be installed on my eeepc 701 running Easypeasy. I know the program is good as I have had it running in the past.

Having now forgotten how I installed it I went today to Tuk.com Pattaya Thai and asked to have it installed on my computer from my documents. nobody there that I met knew Linux very well. the bottom line is after many people trying for three hours they could not find out how you install it ?

If you open it it just opens in another file manager, if you extract it it seems to just open lots of copys of itself ?

I have spent many hours looking over the internet for a command at the terminal to open it but there is just a lot of contradiction on commands, apart from that none of them work.

I remember the last time I installed it just stumbling across something that said install program but where that was I have no idea now, any help on this please :)

Go to the source Neo....

Hi dave_boo

I did try that command sudo dpkg ect ect a while ago and again just now, it dossent work ? all it does is bring up other lists of possible de bugging flag values.

I spent another two hours in Tuk com again today at a shop where the main guy said he was used to Linux and could install the BlueSoleil no problem, he again tried all sorts at the terminal but again had no luck, he also had a shell console open and was doing something in there ?

Linux is a wonderful OS but having this problem that everything you want to install having to go through this terminal is problems in this day and age that most of us can do without :)

Hi dave_boo

I did try that command sudo dpkg ect ect a while ago and again just now, it dossent work ? all it does is bring up other lists of possible de bugging flag values.

I spent another two hours in Tuk com again today at a shop where the main guy said he was used to Linux and could install the BlueSoleil no problem, he again tried all sorts at the terminal but again had no luck, he also had a shell console open and was doing something in there ?

Linux is a wonderful OS but having this problem that everything you want to install having to go through this terminal is problems in this day and age that most of us can do without :)

I'd better be able to help you if I could see the 'errors' that the terminal gave you. It almost sounds like there's something wonky with your Linux install...

dave_boo.

Here is a picture of what I get typing in the command.

sudo dpkg - i BlueSoleil_for_Eeepc-1.C.7.5-Release_i386.deb

Am I missing something here :)

post-9169-1241406955_thumb.jpg

I'd hate to ask a dumb question, but did you copy the package to /home/user? And why is YOUR home directory named that? If you know where the file is saved, you can navigate to that location. For instance if it's on your desktop issue the following command

cd Desktop

obviously change the "Desktop" to wherever you have it saved. Once there issue the following command to make sure it's executable

sudo chmod +x Blue*

Then you can run the dpkg command.

**Note**

If you can't find it, run

sudo find Blue* | xargs /bin/dpkg -i

You may not have 'xargs' installed, so you can also run this command

sudo find Blue* -exec /bin/dpkg -i '{}' \;

Of course all this would not be a problem if the software was bough legally, BlueSoleil is not an OpenSource (free) software package. I bought BlueSoleil from a legal source and I only needed to click on the .deb package which launched a package manager which asked me if I wanted to install the BlueSoleil software package. This was all graphical user interface and I never needed to open any terminal.

It is for Linux the same as MS Windows, if you buy illegal software packages you often have to do a bit more to install it.

Hi Richard-BKK

Im not against buying from a legal source I just coulden't find one around the pattaya area. Everywhere I went I was told there is no bluetooth for Linux, I know there is as there is a free one you can download from Linux, problem is I couldent get that one to work either ?

I think my days at the Linux terminal will soon be over, I have found Linux to be a nice system to use generally but it's not long before you eventualy need to make a visit to the terminal and that's where Linux is still in the dark ages, the majority of computer users these days don't want to be botherd with sudo commands and shell consoles. they just want a click here to install. I think the bottom line is Linux is Linux and it's the way the " Boy's " at Linux want it. fair play to them but to save my sanity Im going to have to go back to something easy to use. :):D

• 4 weeks later...