Which Professions Are Best Paid For Thais?

Police / Military - is not high paying unless you're prepared to wait 15 or 20 yrs. The other positions are only available to people with connections. There's a waiting list longer than the atm queue on pay day for any job where you can get under the table payments.

Doctor - is rather difficult due to long hours and years of on going study. And it's quite rare for them to be paid in the 500k+ per month range in thailand. Probably only one out of every 100 doctors would be earning that. And if you're only interested in the salary then I'd advise you to go to any government hospital and ask a doctor there how much they get paid - you will be quickly turned off the idea of that.

The only advice to give is to immigrate to another country. With such high income tax rates in thailand - compared with say singapore, hk, middle east. If you were earning 1mill baht per month you'd need to be in the top 1% or higher in your field if you work in thailand - and working very long hours - however in other countries even a mediocre lawyer, doctor, investment banker could earn this.

Otherwise, if they want to stay in thailand just study whatever you're interested in and follow that as far as you can. Otherwise you're going to be disappointed with your life waiting for the windfall to come.

Thailand is a major Tourism destination and Addecco

list's don't mention any salaries in the hospitality sector....

To be fair, they are a recruitment company and probably don't work in that sector. Same goes for dentistry, medical professions, etc. Despite its limitations, it is still a very useful guide.

Hi,

What advice would you give to a Thai teenager with an IB diploma about what to study at university to secure a well paying job in Thailand?

Dentistry, and learn web design and good English on the side :)

Hi,

What advice would you give to a Thai teenager with an IB diploma about what to study at university to secure a well paying job in Thailand?

Dentistry, and learn web design and good English on the side :)

Dentistry is a good choice, as it might (this would have to be verified) give some options for work abroad at a future date. As far as web design goes, although it's a nice skill to have I don't think it would help with career prospects. A web designer with some experience might earn about 15 - 25,000 baht. Programming would be a better skill to have.

Thais have all said to me if you want to maximise your income as a Thai, get into the public sector, whether as a civil servant, a policeman, working in a state enterprise such as TOT, subcontracting on a state project or even a politician, there are ways to make very good money.

Difficult to get in though and it must be considered as a long-term project possibly lasting one's whole career.

• 1 month later...

very good friend of mine, age mid 40's, is Bookings Manager for a major 5 Star International Hotel chain, she was on about 48K a couple of years ago, I doubt this would have changed.

My sister in law, early 30s, is an Office and Admin Manager, girl friday, PA, etc, for a Brit Company in Samut Prakan she is on about 40k.

both have Degrees of course.