Where To Take Our Lab For Exercise?

larry78750

We have recently relocated to CM from Laos and have an 8 month old female lab that desperately needs exercise. Walking her in our neighborhood brings out every street dog and also gets all the neighborhood dogs barking. It is not the wonderful event you would expect walking your dog on a leash to be (like back in our neighborhood in Austin, Texas!)

Can anyone recommed a park or an area on the outskirts of CM where we could potentially walk or run her without having to worry about tons of stray dogs? We would love to know if there is actually somewhere where she could get into water and even swim a bit....? Maybe a place where we could hike and she could be with us on her leash?

Is this a dream? Will our puppy be imprisioned in our gated yard forever?

ANY help would be most appreciated!

Ha, I know what you're saying.

Drive the beast a couple kms up Doi Suthep mountain until you get to the first area with a stream/waterfall. Note that this is before the 'main' waterfall where admission is charged (and where dogs aren't allowed).

There are two stops, the first one is called Bang Bua Ban or some such (and usually with the most people) and then Pha Ngoeb a little further up. The two are connected though, you can walk between them on a foot path / trail through the forest.

Best of all, there's a stream and water fall. She'll think she died and went to Lab Heaven. :)

There are loads more opportunities on Doi Suthep / Doi Pui mountain, also way near the summit where the road seems closed but you can just walk in.

Also Huay Tueng Thao lake is an excellent area. LOTS of space there once you're past the dam. There's a road that goes all the way around the lake.

And then there's Ob Khan National Park, I believe they don't mind dogs there (not sure though). But again it's Lab Heaven

Edited by WinnieTheKhwai

You are wonderful! I will print your reply and run it over to our neighbor/landlord and figure out how to get up to the waterfall area today! Lexie is already smiling and so am I!

thanks so much,

Debbie

You are wonderful!

Well that's a first.. :) (I don't know what came into me.. )

Anyway, when arranging transportation make it clear that this is well before you get to Montrathan Falls, which is the one that most people know.

You could use public transport even, by taking a Red Bus songthaew to the CMU entrance on Huay Kaew road which is where the songthaew queue is of the red buses going up the mountain. There you'd have to make it clear that you don't wish to go all the way up but just to Pha Ngoeb ("Ngurb") waterfall. Not sure how much that would cost per person, maybe 30 baht or so but I'm guessing.

Edited by WinnieTheKhwai

We have recently relocated to CM from Laos and have an 8 month old female lab that desperately needs exercise. Walking her in our neighborhood brings out every street dog and also gets all the neighborhood dogs barking. It is not the wonderful event you would expect walking your dog on a leash to be (like back in our neighborhood in Austin, Texas!)

Can anyone recommed a park or an area on the outskirts of CM where we could potentially walk or run her without having to worry about tons of stray dogs? We would love to know if there is actually somewhere where she could get into water and even swim a bit....? Maybe a place where we could hike and she could be with us on her leash?

Is this a dream? Will our puppy be imprisioned in our gated yard forever?

ANY help would be most appreciated!

You don't say what area you're living in but the CMU Scool of Veterinary Medicine has a lake and trail around the lake. It's located between Suthep Rd and Tambon Mae Hea on the Canal Rd.

Yes, and that reminds me: CMU itself is also a great area. There's grassy areas around, and especially the Ang Kaew lake is suitable to bring a dog to run and swim. Ang Kaew is a right turn when entering CMU from the main gate on Huay Kaew. (So turn right at the first opportunity where the Red shrine/sala is. )

Once you are here a bit longer, I suspect you will find many places to take your Lab, and Winnie gave you some excellent places to start with. Even at the very west end of Suthep Road, you climb up the mountain a tad and there is a lake with a restaurant. If you go across the dam itself, there is a more isolated place on the south side, and you could walk up the road from there for a nice walk. Lots of kids up there in the evenings before they close it.

Op Khan National Park is a real treasure and I have seen many dogs swimming there. A group of us just bicycled there last week and since we were pretty sweaty and stinky, we took in a great swim. Before 11 AM, you could probably have the place all to yourselves as we did. It is a glorious place to swim with muddy but clean water, and current you can make way against if you are a good swimmer. Dogs seem to love the place!

• 1 year later...

I am in the same situation as the OP. I live near the Gymkhana golf course (now there is a real shame - it is not a public park but just reserved for a few people to knock balls around in....) and the local dogs go mad if I try and walk my dog.

Is there any parks near central CM to let your dog run around in for exercise? I am also looking for some swimming areas, any up to date info appreciated.

Once you are here a bit longer, I suspect you will find many places to take your Lab, and Winnie gave you some excellent places to start with. Even at the very west end of Suthep Road, you climb up the mountain a tad and there is a lake with a restaurant. If you go across the dam itself, there is a more isolated place on the south side, and you could walk up the road from there for a nice walk. Lots of kids up there in the evenings before they close it.

Op Khan National Park is a real treasure and I have seen many dogs swimming there. A group of us just bicycled there last week and since we were pretty sweaty and stinky, we took in a great swim. Before 11 AM, you could probably have the place all to yourselves as we did. It is a glorious place to swim with muddy but clean water, and current you can make way against if you are a good swimmer. Dogs seem to love the place!

And if you keep going up the hill to the channel 7 station there is a trail on the left hand side that goes about 5 km all the way up to a temple i used to take my dog up there all the time very nice up there in the mornings it feels like an achievement when you get to the top.

You are wonderful!

Well that's a first.. :) (I don't know what came into me.. )

LOL! Winnie...being friends with dog-obsessed types will do that to you. I think it's sometime after the 100th Facebook picture of a dog laying on the bed or the couch ;)

I like Huay Tung Taew the best. There were a couple of stray dogs up there, but they went away once I scared them off. And Sadie loves to swim, so it's great. Have not tried the waterfall yet.

But yes, my dog is mainly confined to my gated yard these days...I just made sure to rent a house with a huge yard, and have playtime often! Sadie seems to find enough critters to chase after that she gets good exercise. I actually have had the idea a few times to start a "farang dog playgroup," but have yet to take action. And not because I discriminate against Thai dogs! But they seem to sense my farang dog's weakness, and they attack her. And it's a vicious attack, not like dogs fighting back in the US.