Ubc/true Vision

jamesjdaly

I was checking the schedule of what was coming up Sunday night, and I saw that a movie would be on Cinemax.  This movie Intrusion Cambodia, was billed as a movie about the atrociteis in Cambodia.

Well, this movie was about the worst thing I ahve ever seen.  But like a car accident, I couldn't help but to watch it.  I kept thinking that it could not get any worse.  I was wrong. It followed a supposed American Special Forces team into Cambodia to get some sort of document (what that was was never explained.)

The film was made in 1991 in the Philippines.  And even by Filipino standards, it was very, very bad.  I looked it up on the iternet, and most web entries noted that it had no information in the movie.

I wonder why we are subjected to this. I am paying to watch movies which have thankfully faded from the viewing public until it pops up here?  I know True Visions does not control Cinemax, but really, I get rather disappointed as a general rule on what is available for me to view.

Couldn't agree more about the tripe that is foisted upon us because we have no choice.

A couple of times a year we will endure Steven Segal retrospectives and then it shifts to VanDamm. Every "woman in peril" movie in the 80's and 90's would not have been possible if they would have given the star a mobile phone to call for help. Instead we are subjusted to big hair and bad music several times a week.

In developed countries when you order HBO and Cinemax you get 12 choices. Here you get two bad ones, passing off straight to video movies as premiers and free TV movies as our pay TV choices. The Wire, The Sopranos, etc. are so badly cut up you can easily lose the plot. I had to buy these shows from MBK to view them as the producers intended.

CP Group and True Visions have billions of Baht in cash and assets. So why did we lose the real MTV and VH-1 to Thai folk music channels.

I bought The Wire in Cambodia, and what a great series.  This is what television can be.  I started to watch it on True Vision last week or the week before, and I had to turn it off.  It is pretty much intelligible with all the cuts.

OT:  I heard Idris Elba being interviewed on public radio in the US.  He plays Stringer Bell.  He is from England and has a very, very strong and refined English accent.  It was amusingly disconcerting to hear his voice when Stringer's street-talking patois is how I think of him.

Edited by bonobo

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

my sole purpose of subscribing to UBC is to watch english premiere league football .......... they don't broadcast it on DREAM philippines which can be had for FREE if you don't mind doing those KEYS thingy that satellite-savvy guys do............

drawback is u need a BUD at least 2 meters in diameter........

• 2 weeks later...
Out here in the sticks (Trat) I buy a bogus UBC DSat smartcard for 200 baht that provides the full Gold package for 4-6 weeks. When UBC finally figures out what's up and disables the card I buy another one. Sure beats paying 1,412.97 baht a month...

How can i get those cards? I am currently in Hua Hin...thanks

• 4 months later...
I was checking the schedule of what was coming up Sunday night, and I saw that a movie would be on Cinemax. This movie Intrusion Cambodia, was billed as a movie about the atrociteis in Cambodia.

Well, this movie was about the worst thing I ahve ever seen. But like a car accident, I couldn't help but to watch it. I kept thinking that it could not get any worse. I was wrong. It followed a supposed American Special Forces team into Cambodia to get some sort of document (what that was was never explained.)

The film was made in 1991 in the Philippines. And even by Filipino standards, it was very, very bad. I looked it up on the iternet, and most web entries noted that it had no information in the movie.

I wonder why we are subjected to this. I am paying to watch movies which have thankfully faded from the viewing public until it pops up here? I know True Visions does not control Cinemax, but really, I get rather disappointed as a general rule on what is available for me to view.

USD53/year truevision platinum package

cheap platinum package

The solution is slingbox. But you need a proper internet connection. 3Mbps when you test to the US or UK on speedtest.net and u need a desktop hooked up to your TV. Then lie back with your wireless mouse and enjoy.

I have a slingbox back in the US on a cable connection.  But although I am paying ToT for 3 mps, my real connection speed jumps from 34 kps to about 200 kps and varies up and down continually.

The solution is slingbox. But you need a proper internet connection. 3Mbps when you test to the US or UK on speedtest.net and u need a desktop hooked up to your TV. Then lie back with your wireless mouse and enjoy.

I have a slingbox back in the US on a cable connection.  But although I am paying ToT for 3 mps, my real connection speed jumps from 34 kps to about 200 kps and varies up and down continually.

I'm in the UK at present and have been experimenting with Sky Player, which is the on-demand internet add-on for the Sky satellite TV package. Basically any subscriber can have the (recorded) content equivalent to their package level at no extra cost, and also live channels corresponding to their package for an extra fee of about £10 a month (free if you have Sky Multiroom or Sky internet). The service includes the live EPL football if you subscribe to the Sports package. The picture is good enough to put on a big screen TV, but you need an internet speed of about 2 mps for it to work without picture freezing. In comparison BBC I-Player will work well at around 1 mps. Only one registered computer can be used for premium content and another three PCs on programmes excluding movies and sport. There seems to be nothing to stop someone using the internet facility relating to a satellite subscription held, for example, by parents who have no interest in web-based content. Unlike Slingbox this does not affect the viewing content on the primary satellite TV output. I'm not sure whether somebody overseas could access the service without a UK proxy server. If so, this may be another option in Thailand, but it would be dependent on good internet speed.

Edited by citizen33

I hate Truevisions in Bangkok, and was pleased to dump it near Jomtien, the mom and pop "service" was unbearable.

Now S. of Jomtien I pay 300 baht per month for a hundred channels, most unwatchable, but best of all Aljazeerah and Supersport. The Thai Channels are good for Champions league etc.

I have watched the Ashes, The Tri Nations Rugby, F1 and loads of EPL.

They also have the appalling Fox "News" which makes me wonder more on the future of the USA.

For all the BBC Documentaries, History, Discovery Chanel. movies I d/l and watch via a USB on my TV

Just Recently...well too many to list, but stuff you'll never see here.

Edited by honey2000