Khao San Road

Norrad

• Replies 265
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

This is not isolated to KSR or idiot backpackers. I've heard similar comments from Thais when walking with GF in Paragon.

its their country.

How about at home in your own country have you heard people say something?

I'm pretty sure the Thai farang couples hear a lot more of this back home than they do here.

someone remind me what this thread was originally about

Eh yeah, its gone a bit offtopic. Something about some North american characters declaiming uncalled for opinions on a certain street in Banglampoo.

Punk in drublic, as it were.

OP - you need to learn some stock answers to reply to these bigots because this is going to happen time and time again... here and at home...

That is actually one of the best pieces of advice posted here so far.

I can never seem to think of a good reply until long after the event has passed.  I imagine some other people are the same.  So "pre-thinking" a good response is pretty astute, in my opinion.

examples please.

I'll let someone more clever come up with some.  I have never claimed to be the end-all of repartee.

how s about not spending time on what you going to say to strangers,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,lol.

they dont care so y should you!

Do you really care what people spend their time doing?

The OP obviously cares about the remarks made about him and his wife.  Others here have advocated physically assaulting the three men who were making the remarks.

I have held that nothing any idiots say is worth the possible consequences of attacking three men.  But I understand the need for some response.  I have advocated a cutting response back, but as I am not too quick with the repartee, I think sanook2me's advice is pretty good.  It would be good for me, at least, and I hope to the OP as well. 

So if anyone wishes to craft a response before actually needing it, I hardly think it is up to you to tell how not to spend his time.

I had a similar racsist experience in Sydney.green this young woman yelled out the window

A car full of teenagers pulled up next to my car, I had my Thai wife, her friend and son on board.

Just as the lights turned green this young woman yelled out the window "Did you buy one and get one free?" and then sped off!

Gee I tried to catch that car. I think at the time I would have killed them :)

I had a similar racsist experience in Sydney.green this young woman yelled out the window

A car full of teenagers pulled up next to my car, I had my Thai wife, her friend and son on board.

Just as the lights turned green this young woman yelled out the window "Did you buy one and get one free?" and then sped off!

Well,i had some problems few months ago,not quite similar,bad feelings towards some neighbours anyway.Now i don't know how many posters here believe in "Karma",by the time i was feeling so distressed that i went to the local Temple couple of times with my gf.I was very lucky the second time,we met a Monk on "holiday" from his usual jungle retirement which is a powerful guy.He just told me few words.We are responsible for our "Karma",like everybody else,we can try to live a good life,but we cannot control everything.If something bad happen we have to accept it like a 'experience".So if you kill somebody for an insult,you would get a worst "Karma" than the people who insulted you.Just pity them,don't even waste your time thinking about :D

C'mon now, you know kids say stupid and mean things at times...............brains aren't fully developed, little kids can be really mean to each other...........

On this topic we have a member whose had a few handles, but now prefers "imnotasexpat" because he is so worried that other people will think he is.

People.........who cares? That these people the OP refers too are so immature......it's bad on them, don't you lose face by being concerned about what completely ignorant people think.

A bogof from a bar in Thailand ! :D If only!

No offence to poster but I thought this was humourous but i'm guessing with son and & friend with you it would be taken as more of a derogatory insult...

Now let me start by saying that my wife are quite young (She is 23 and I am 28).

You were a bit unlucky, I think. My Lao wife and I were 23 (her) and 28 (me) when we married in 1972. I don't recollect ever having that kind of experience - either from Farangs or Thais (and certainly not from the Lao). We didn't have KSR in those days, so I guess there weren't many yobbos hanging around trying to impress each other, but we came to Bangkok lots, including for childbirth.

I guess these guys were perhaps a bit drunk and, when you set off after them, they may have realised they'd been pretty stupid and hence disappeared PDQ. Sh*t happens and the world will never be free of morons. I wouldn't lose any sleep over it.

:):D:D

Atleast she was wayyyy more creative than the three Americans.

True...I have to hand it to the clever bitch, it was creative. :D

But at the time....

Now let me start by saying that my wife are quite young (She is 23 and I am 28).

You were a bit unlucky, I think. My Lao wife and I were 23 (her) and 28 (me) when we married in 1972. I don't recollect ever having that kind of experience - either from Farangs or Thais (and certainly not from the Lao). We didn't have KSR in those days, so I guess there weren't many yobbos hanging around trying to impress each other, but we came to Bangkok lots, including for childbirth.

I guess these guys were perhaps a bit drunk and, when you set off after them, they may have realised they'd been pretty stupid and hence disappeared PDQ. Sh*t happens and the world will never be free of morons. I wouldn't lose any sleep over it.

I think this is great advice, the guys you are talking about are just ignorant, it's really not worth wasting your time worrying about people like this or what they say.

Comments like this simply expose themselves for what they are, complete COCKS!, so you see you don't need to get into a scrap with them as not being like them... you've already won!

:)

This is not isolated to KSR or idiot backpackers. I've heard similar comments from Thais when walking with GF in Paragon.

its their country.

WOW! The ultimate Thai apologist statement "it's their country".

So how much leeway does that give them I wonder in your little mind?

Hey he just raped my girlfriend! "well.. it's their country"

Hey he just murdered my friend because he misunderstood him and thought he was insulting! "well.. it's their country"

its their country.

Hey he just murdered my friend because he misunderstood him and thought he was insulting! "well.. it's their country"

whether some like to admit it or not, walking with someone much younger than you is a reflection of what is going on in Thai society, or what old people call the morals of today, just like a youth walking around with his hair dyed green or a piercing in his eye brow is reflection on a thai society.

so yes, people should mind their own business. its rude to comment about the teenagers green hair, dragoon tattoo on his forhead, and lip piercing that connects to his ear. these things do not hurt anybody else. its his right to do it. its also the farang and thai girls right to be together... naturally though, people will voice their opinion on what other people do.

its their country, and their right to do so, isn't it?

Edited by JohnGotti

its their country.

whether some like to admit it or not, walking with someone much younger than you is a reflection of what is going on in Thai society, or what old people call the morals of today, just like a youth walking around with his hair dyed green or a piercing in his eye brow is reflection on a thai society.

so yes, people should mind their own business. its rude to comment about the teenagers green hair, dragoon tattoo on his forhead, and lip piercing that connects to his ear. these things do not hurt anybody else. its his right to do it. its also the farang and thai girls right to be together... naturally though, people will voice their opinion on what other people do.

To buttress what Sabumposted, where is the line for the "it is their country" excuse?  I went to Koh San for Song Kran, and in a crush of people, I had my wallet and camera lifted.  Is that somehow OK as it is "their country?"  Well, the Thai police didn't think it was OK, and frankly, neither did I.

its their country.

I did not see any mention about age gaps in Absingjul post....

True...I have to hand it to the clever bitch, it was creative. :D

But at the time....

Surprised this happened in Sydney which is at least 10% asian. 30 years ago I would have expected it.

Could somebody please explain to me their disdain for Khao San Road?

While I've never stayed there, many of my friends (late teens & early 20s) have, basically because they felt comfortable around other foreigners and given their age didn't want to spend too much money on accomodation.

Khao San is one of my favourite places in Bangkok, and 99% of the people I have met there have been lovely. I've met many Germans, Britons, Swedes, Americans, Irish etc... male and female, old and young, and have never had any problems whatsoever.

Of course when somebody who hasn't exposed to Thailand is going to give a 50 year old man with a 25 year old Thai girl a strange look. Exactly the same thing would occur anywhere else in the world.

However, these Americans you have encountered just seem to be a bunch of <deleted>. You will find pockets of them anywhere in Bangkok, and anywhere in the world for that matter.

From personal experience, I've found the people on Khao San much more friendly than anybody I've met on Sukhumvit or surrounding areas (not to say that I haven't met some brilliant people there).

I really am struggling to understand why so many people feel it necessary to disparage people around Khao San Road.

While I've never stayed there, many of my friends (late teens & early 20s) have, basically because they felt comfortable around other foreigners and given their age didn't want to spend too much money on accomodation.

Khao San is one of my favourite places in Bangkok, and 99% of the people I have met there have been lovely. I've met many Germans, Britons, Swedes, Americans, Irish etc... male and female, old and young, and have never had any problems whatsoever.

Of course when somebody who hasn't exposed to Thailand is going to give a 50 year old man with a 25 year old Thai girl a strange look. Exactly the same thing would occur anywhere else in the world.

However, these Americans you have encountered just seem to be a bunch of <deleted>. You will find pockets of them anywhere in Bangkok, and anywhere in the world for that matter.

From personal experience, I've found the people on Khao San much more friendly than anybody I've met on Sukhumvit or surrounding areas (not to say that I haven't met some brilliant people there).

I really am struggling to understand why so many people feel it necessary to disparage people around Khao San Road.

Exactly the same thing would occur anywhere else in the world.

I have no problem with KSR as a lively place that provides accommodation, booking services, information, etc and is probably a friendly place for young people to hang out. I also have nothing against backpackers (I've been a backpacker in my time). In the late 60's and early 70s backpackers used to hang out at the Thai Song Greet Hotel near Hualampong station and exchange news and travel tips, but it was a very small place and small numbers involved. I don't know when Khao San Road became the gathering point, as I was out of the country from the mid-70s to the mid-90s, but it seems to me to be generally a good thing.

However, a large concentration of transient people in one place like this is bound to have a downside, I suppose, and the chance of running into ignorant and insensitive people like the ones the OP came across is part of it. Yes, it could happen anywhere. This time it just happened at KSR.

whether some like to admit it or not, (anything and everything we may observe here) is a reflection of what is going on in Thai society

Quite!

naturally though, people will voice their opinion (and think their thoughts) on what other people do.

Naturally!

Humans do this constantly, just as other species do!

I always find the chorus here of "it doesn't matter what other people think" very strange and ... rather revealing.

If we all stopped thinking about our affect on others, and stopped paying attention to what others think, the world would be in an even greater mess than it is already.

(Forgive me, I have not waded through the dozen pages on this thread. Just a little observation that frequently passes through my mind.)

Edited by WaiWai

I hear you, I happen to like Khao Sarn too and i've been in and out of Bangkok for over 10 years..

If you want a different day/night out or fancy being surrounded by other farangs who are not going to complain about Thailand then this is the place, very friendly(mostly) and there are some great bars with live music to drink and sing along too......

People watching was invented for this place.....

I don't see too many old fellows with young girls in tow on KS its very rare mostly younger guys with their Thai mrs or holiday bg.

I much prefer KS to Sukhumvit but if i'm out with my mates in an all male party then its got to be Sukhumvit but when with Thai Mrs KS.