Khao San Road

Norrad

I had a really bad experience today which really got to me. The wife and I went to meet one of her friends in Khao San road, not a place I particularly like going to, when three American tourists thought it would be amusing to point us and say "Sex tourist and bar girl". Now let me start by saying that my wife are quite young (She is 23 and I am 28). I snapped and told them to f***k off back to where they came from, at which point they quickly turned around and mingled with the crowd.

My wife didn't understand why I snapped and when I explained to her she wanted to go find them and confront them about it too. Apparently the waitress, at the restaurant where it happened, told us they were saying it to every mixed couple that walked past.

I've gotten past most of the annoyances of living in Thailand, dual pricing, visa regulations etc. But this really got on my nerves.

• Replies 265
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Don't let ignorant w*nkers like that get to you!!

Yeap. They'll probably end up saying that to the wrong person, whether Thai or farang, and they'll 'take care' of the situation anyway.

Just put some money in the pockets of the boys in brown im sure they can find a reason to take care of it. I would gladly pay money to see guys like that taken down.

Im not sure how i would react if i would have walked there.

I had a really bad experience today which really got to me. The wife and I went to meet one of her friends in Khao San road, not a place I particularly like going to, when three American tourists thought it would be amusing to point us and say "Sex tourist and bar girl". Now let me start by saying that my wife are quite young (She is 23 and I am 28). I snapped and told them to f***k off back to where they came from, at which point they quickly turned around and mingled with the crowd.

My wife didn't understand why I snapped and when I explained to her she wanted to go find them and confront them about it too. Apparently the waitress, at the restaurant where it happened, told us they were saying it to every mixed couple that walked past.

I've gotten past most of the annoyances of living in Thailand, dual pricing, visa regulations etc. But this really got on my nerves.

You are a better man than I am, I would have gotten out and kicked the crap out of the male memebers of the party.

You are a better man than I am, I would have gotten out and kicked the crap out of the male memebers of the party.

Thanks for the support guys, I know I am venting. All three were male and I really wanted to confront them but they dissapeared pretty quickly.

Thanks for the support guys, I know I am venting. All three were male and I really wanted to confront them but they dissapeared pretty quickly.

Your braver them me 3 to 1 i dont like those kind of odds. Also i dont like to risk my life here by getting into a fight and possibly get deported.

Oh dear.

How did you know they were Americans?

How did you know they were tourists?

Did you just make this up?

Its well known all over the world that Americans cause a lot of trouble.. look around in the world.

Besides for most people its not hard to figure out accents, if you open your mouth i'm sure i could place your birthplace close to the Alamo.

Because something is anti american doesnt make it not true

Oh dear.

Its well known all over the world that Americans cause a lot of trouble.. look around in the world.

Isn't that like saying all Thai women are whores and Thai men lazy drunks?? :)

Its so hard to imagine why they would think that. :)

Its even harder to imagine why you would take such offence if its not something you're worried about.

Be honest, we only really take offence at something we're privately worrying about at the back of our mind. Otherwise we just laugh at the stupidity.

Oh dear.

The waitress told me they were American and also their accent was very American. The fact that they were wearing board shorts, roughly mid 20's in age with small backpacks and hanging around in Khao San road pretty much points to the fact that they were tourists. It doesn't take Sherlock Holmes to figure that out.

lol. sure you would have...

lol

So they had their backpacks with them? These American backpackers on KSR?

This is good. :)

I'll wager a bet one of them was wearing a stars and stripes bandana too, right?

Edited by Texpat

Not sure how I would react - probably say something derogatory to them but in Thai to make wife/waitress/other Thais laugh at them..

ie.. kwais - go chak wai - something like that....

Its even harder to imagine why you would take such offence if its not something you're worried about.

Be honest, we only really take offence at something we're privately worrying about at the back of our mind. Otherwise we just laugh at the stupidity.

First off, many board members have met my wife and I at the Thai Visa new year party. We are a complete match as a couple.

But it grinds me when someone who doesn't know a single thing about us spouts some comment like that. And it wasn't just one of them that made the comment, they each said it one after the other "Sex tourist, Bar girl!, Sex tourist, Bar girl!, Sex tourist, Bar girl!" like a f***cking chant or game that they were playing with each other. If that wouldn't get to you then you are definately a better man than me.

First off, many board members have met my wife and I at the Thai Visa new year party. We are a complete match as a couple.

But it grinds me when someone who doesn't know a single thing about us spouts some comment like that. And it wasn't just one of them that made the comment, they each said it one after the other "Sex tourist, Bar girl!, Sex tourist, Bar girl!, Sex tourist, Bar girl!" like a f***cking chant or game that they were playing with each other. If that wouldn't get to you then you are definately a better man than me.

No, but I repeat, we only take serious offence at something we are secretly worried about.

So they had their backpacks with them? These American backpackers on KSR?

This is good. :)

I'll wager a bet one of them was wearing a stars and stripes bandana too, right?

I think someone has to learn how to read. At no point did I say they were wearing their backpacks. They had backpacks (not oversized backpacker backpacks, just regular everyday carrier backpacks). The short stocky one was wearing his, the two taller ones were just about to leave the restaurant when the shorter one arrived. The short one started it while my back was turned and I was facing my wife, I then turned around and the others looked directly at us and said the same. Whether you beleive me or not is up to you... I couldn't care less...

I do feel very sorry (mainly for the wives/gf's) who have to put up with comments like that. But sadly its (i imagine) a by-product of a certain side of Thailands reputation. Unless Thailand can change that well-known side(or wants to), I think that generally many people (both Thai and Farang) will have negative assumptions about Thai-Farang relationships. But sadly too there is also quite a lot of Thai-Farang relationships that perpetuate the cliche's.

Sorry, i dont seem to be able to express well what im trying to say. I suppose Im trying to be tactful as I know this is an area with incites a lot of strong opinions, and im not trying to take any kind of moral stand here. Just stating in my humble, rather naive, opinion (I have not lived here long enough, nor know the ins and outs of Thailands p4p or 'sick buffalo' style relationships, to form a detailed or accurate opinion.)

In your case Norrad, from what the waitress said, it would seem those guys were just out to rile anyone they could, no matter how respectable or obviously 'normal' couple appeared. Shake it off as just a bunch of bigoted idiots. As others have said, they will most likely say to the wrong person and end up eating their words.

What made these tossers think your wife was a bg.Did she dress sexy or where the guys just total nobs

The waitress told us not to worry as the original two were saying it to every mixed couple as a sort of group joke. My wife always dresses well, never looks like a bar girl. These guys were just total nobs.

Not sure how I would react - probably say something derogatory to them but in Thai to make wife/waitress/other Thais laugh at them..

ie.. kwais - go chak wai - something like that....

they would have faked a laugh.

Oh dear.

Isn't that like saying all Thai women are whores and Thai men lazy drunks?? :)

I was more flaming texpat then others. I dont see all Americans as trouble makers. I know a few decent ones. Its the same as saying that all Dutch ppl are drugheads (i used it in the past). I was just generalizing because i got anoyed with texpat.