Khao San Road

Norrad

First I would have pointed back and said something along the lines of, "broke, smelly, back packer" and then I would have walked over to a group of motobike taxi drivers and offered 2000 baht to each of them who brought me back one of the wanke_rs teeth. Then 500 baht for each tooth after the first one.

I have ZERO tolerance for a-holes like that.

So basically you are saying that you would have behaved MUCH WORSE than the verbal offenders, yes?

• Replies 265
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Nah, I'm not at all angry with you, you are standing up for your country (ex-country) and that is admirable. But you definately don't have to stand up for those three jerks, they gave us a very bad impression.

Care to explain how I am standing up for "those three jerks?" Or my "ex-country?"

Or did you just make that up?

I never said I agree with what anybody is reported to have done. If it actually happened the way you describe, it's very low-brow behavior I would expect only from a, well, you know. :)

Are you sure you don't have me confused with someone else?

And you do realise that robblok and I are two different people, no one made a comment about him and his wife...

Im sure we are quite different and no nobody has ever made a comment like that about my wife. And for anyone reading the topic later in the topic i said that i only made that general remark because i was pissed off by texpat. I have nothing against Americans.

Nah, I'm not at all angry with you, you are standing up for your country (ex-country) and that is admirable. But you definately don't have to stand up for those three jerks, they gave us a very bad impression.

Care to explain how I am standing up for "those three jerks?" Or my "ex-country?"

I never said I agree with what anybody is reported to have done. If it actually happened the way you describe, it's very low-brow behavior I would expect only from a, well, you know. :)

You were questioning him if he was sure it were Americans like Americans never do anything wrong. That mate pissed a couple of ppl off.

You originally didn't believe that the event happened (I can assure you it did, if you would like my wife to call you directly and vent her anger as proof, then just leave your number).

The waitress and myself confirmed they were American (I could tell from their accent and I don't know how she confirmed it). Although I could be wrong and they could have been Canadian but it isn't very important to what happened. Let's say 3 non-native North American tourists instead.

^ ^ Oh dear.

How did you know they were Americans?

How did you know they were tourists?

Did you just make this up?

Do these three questions mean I'm suggesting Americans never do anything wrong, that I'm standing up for "them," or my "ex-country"?

Oh dear (again).

Edited by Texpat

I have nothing against Americans.

Don't go overboard. There are things to despise from most any nationality. Don't leave Americans out of the fun.

I despise people and character traits and that is usually not based on nationality though certain nationalities might be more prone to certain traits.

I am often taken for Iraqi ...

Im sometimes taken for a German.. believe me Dutch don't like that.

why is that? asks a Non German.

Because there i still rivalry between the Dutch and the Germans. Nothing really bad but it shows when we are playing soccer and stuff like that. In the past it was bad but that was WW2 related.

Monkeys tend to chatter amongst themselves. They have nothing much else to do or think about.

Tell me, when you visit the zoo, and walk by a cage of monkeys, what will you do if they scream "EEK, EEK, OOOK!"

Do you run right up to the bars, all red in the face, and scream back "OOOK, OOOK, EEK!".

Does that accomplish anything?

And what do you look like to the other HUMANS who are nearby? Aren't you rather hard to distinguish in your behavior from the monkeys?

--------

kenk3z

Where is this topic going now? It doesn't matter where they came from. I think deep down inside we all would have liked to slap them around but then that can cause more sh!t than what its worth. Unless you seen them down a dark alley later on. :)

I am an American but i have to say the American tourists i run into here are the most polite, courteous, respectful etc group as a whole

I have heard same same also from alot of Thais.

---------

I was in Jomtien sitting in a beer bar by side of soi with a mint service girl sitting on my lap. 2 western woman walked by and one spotted

me and alerted the other and started pointing at me saying "thats just disgusting etc". The girl on my lap jumps up and yells at them in

thai and starts walking quickly towards them. The 2 woman quickly started running down the street with a look of fear. Priceless....

Oh dear.

How did you know they were Americans?

How did you know they were tourists?

Did you just make this up?

The waitress told me they were American and also their accent was very American. The fact that they were wearing board shorts, roughly mid 20's in age with small backpacks and hanging around in Khao San road pretty much points to the fact that they were tourists. It doesn't take Sherlock Holmes to figure that out.

Many Thais think that someone who speaks English is American, although majority of farangs are actually from England...In many cases what they said to you (and I agree, it wasn't nice at all) is true. If it wasn't, why would they give such comment, right?

I am an American but i have to say the American tourists i run into here are the most polite, courteous, respectful etc group as a whole

---------

I was in Jomtien sitting in a beer bar by side of soi with a mint service girl sitting on my lap. 2 western woman walked by and one spotted

me and alerted the other and started pointing at me saying "thats just disgusting etc". The girl on my lap jumps up and yells at them in

thai and starts walking quickly towards them. The 2 woman quickly started running down the street with a look of fear. Priceless....

Oi, oi....and what that Thai girl could have done to them? Bit them up? :)

Well it's not like you are in disguise. If you are a man of advanced years with a small slim female of Thai origin by your side walking down Koh San road you can expect the reaction that you encountered.

People base their judgements from information gathered. Old Farang man. Young Thai girl. Financial transactions are not a remote contigency - they are a given.

Deal with it by not dealing with it. Ignore it. Or if you can not ignore it then perhaps there is a reason why you can't deal with it. Perhaps they are right and you are paying for playing and deep down you know it and thats what made you see red?

---------

Soi 8 sukhumvit..

---------

Marmelad(e), you spell that: beat.

Beat them up? Oh yeah, you have obviously never seen Thai (bar) girls angry and spoiling for vengance.

For the record, I would have loved seeing that. A 5ft nothing 90lb girl kicking the snot out off two hapless western *cough* "ladies".

:D

Well it's not like you are in disguise. If you are a man of advanced years with a small slim female of Thai origin by your side walking down Koh San road you can expect the reaction that you encountered.

People base their judgements from information gathered. Old Farang man. Young Thai girl. Financial transactions are not a remote contigency - they are a given.

Deal with it by not dealing with it. Ignore it. Or if you can not ignore it then perhaps there is a reason why you can't deal with it. Perhaps they are right and you are paying for playing and deep down you know it and thats what made you see red?

Um again from my post, I am 28, my wife is 23. Not a very big age gap.

post-18203-1241439190_thumb.jpg

Um again from my post, I am 28, my wife is 23. Not a very big age gap.

Apologies. I jumped the gun. 5 years isn't much of an age gap. Sorry.

Perhaps the American tourists were just jealous?

Its so hard to imagine why they would think that. :)

Its even harder to imagine why you would take such offence if its not something you're worried about.

Be honest, we only really take offence at something we're privately worrying about at the back of our mind. Otherwise we just laugh at the stupidity.

First off, many board members have met my wife and I at the Thai Visa new year party. We are a complete match as a couple.

But it grinds me when someone who doesn't know a single thing about us spouts some comment like that. And it wasn't just one of them that made the comment, they each said it one after the other "Sex tourist, Bar girl!, Sex tourist, Bar girl!, Sex tourist, Bar girl!" like a f***cking chant or game that they were playing with each other. If that wouldn't get to you then you are definately a better man than me.

maybe their first English words on their first holidays outside their home country.

next step: "I am a" and "I want a"

Why stress over these knobheads?? they will go back to the same rock they crawled out of and you will continue to lead a happy live wife here in Thailand!!

If they weren't in a group of 4 people they wouldn't have said jack sh@t, cowards!! typical Yanks......

---------

:) To funny!

I think it is always best to avoid physical altercations as foreigners in Thailand, as it can get you into very deep trouble very quickly. However, this story provides anyone with a Thai partner a good potential solution to rude comments from ignorant tourists. Next time make doubly sure your Thai misses/fellow catches what has been said and stand back to watch the feathers fly. Me thinks a loud verbal confrontation with an ever increasing number of Thais would humble even the lowest common denominator type tourist. Live here long enough and you can observe that when it comes to farang vs. Thai fights, its never the farang that wins. You get into a fight with one Thai = you are suddenly fighting 20!

Probably the best way to handle the situation would be to approach the doubters and explain that she is only a 'cashier'.

But seriously, you can't stop it. It will happen. If you have married a Thai woman then everybody will think you have married a prostitute (about 85 % the time they are right). That is the way that people see it, rightly or wrongly, that is what they see.

Can't do anything about that, it's a problem that can not be solved as the evidence is all stacked against you. We have to consider these situations when entering a martial agreement with a lady from this land. I love her, she is nice for me but some people will look down on us, but she is worth it. Hopefully she will be sharing you home with you and not the American tourists.

Why stress over these knobheads?? they will go back to the same rock they crawled out of and you will continue to lead a happy live wife here in Thailand!!

If they weren't in a group of 4 people they wouldn't have said jack sh@t, cowards!! typical Yanks......

or if they would have been at Marine Bar/Pattaya when the guys from an U.S. aircraft carrier where there on R&R.