British Woman Faces Death Penalty Over Drugs In Laos

photojourn

Appreciate that this is a Laos story but the nearest British Embassy is in Thailand so there is a tenuous link :)

Besides, the moralistic hang-em high and let them rot brigade need their weekly feeding frenzy.

The trial of a pregnant Briton who could face death by firing squad if she is convicted of drug smuggling is to take place tomorrow, according to a legal charity.

Samantha Orobator was arrested at Wattay Airport in Laos in August last year after she was allegedly caught with 680g of heroin. In Laos, smuggling more than 500g carries a mandatory death sentence.

Reprieve said the Laotian authorities brought the trial forward in an apparent attempt to stop lawyers from intervening. Up until now the 20-year-old from south London has had no legal representation.

She said she understood the system in Laos was that defendants were only able to see lawyers a week before their trials or, in some cases, on the same day trials began.

She said British officials had only been able to visit Orobator for a period of 20 minutes once a month.

The British only learned of her arrest when she had already spent many months languishing in the notorious Phonthong prison.

Laos broke international agreements on consular relations by not informing the British, apparently using the excuse that they did not have access to a fax machine.

Campaigners have also raised questions over how Orobator, who is due to give birth in September, could have become pregnant while in jail.

Stafford Smith said: "She is five months pregnant, without ever having met a lawyer, facing a show trial for her life.

The daily ration reportedly consists of two bowls of pig fat water soup and 500g of sticky rice, and most prisoners rely on their families to deliver food.

Other prisoners have reported incidents of abuse and torture, with some inmates having their genitals burnt.

Source: the Guardian

Well to speak my mind out loud , I pity the girl in the story , but i also pity the Child of other parent whom she is going to sell her drug too .

maybe the Death of one releasing the suffering of many , is reall not a bad idea .

had she consider what kinda suffering will fall on family with drug addict ?

i had seen drug addict killed and also the kinda evil deed . one do just to get Money .

600 plus is alot ..

back in singapore you get HANG for less then 28 gram . or as we usually say " no more then the weight of 2 - 50cent coin "