Starting A Guesthouse/restaurant And Bar

Maybe you think here we go again.... :) !

I've read many and got many ideas on having a business and income in Thailand. Many ideas in my head. I think I will just go back to Thailand, take my bets, and try to start something up. I'm bore of waiting here, my girl in thailand, reading TV and drinking beer. But keep some money in the pocket for a return ticket. I got some money behind me, luckilt Thailands Baht against the Euro is positive for me. A guesthouse seems a nice idea to me. Let's say i wanna do it illegal and legal can somebody give me a honest and good advice on what to do? How to start it up quick. Like renting an existing place seems quickest way for now. I can put it on my Thai girlfriends name, which i think on a thai persons name will give less problems. As foreigner cannot own tha place. If somebody has some guesthouse for rental, or knowing something or somebody in the south of thailand, please let me know. :D As i posted many topics, yeah i did, and i really want to work something out there in thailand. For god sake i have not much idea, but staying stuck behind the pc, won't bring me anywhere to. Guys much thanks.

I was born in Thailand but grew up in the states. Could you tell me why a foreigner cannot own a business and he has to put in his girlfriends name?? That's sounds like you asking for some trouble. There are foreign companies in thailand and they do business in the country. The only thing I see a foreign person can do is teach english or the language from the country they come from.

When I retire i want to stay in thailand six months and come back to the states for six months, do i need to teach english to make some kind of money??

Edited by DragonLad

i have not much idea, but staying stuck behind the pc, won't bring me anywhere to.

I disagree, I think you can do a lot of ground work from behind your PC that would provide you with an good foundation if you decide to start any business here in Thailand.

This particular branch of ThaiVisa is a great place to start - but here's at tip, don't just look at information relating to Guesthouses and Hotels, read as many business threads as you can - They all have something to offer in terms of understanding doing business in Thailand.

With respect to owning a business in Thailand, there are other options to putting the business in your girlfriend's name and very many reasons for not putting a business in your girlfriend's name.

My advice is stay sitting behind your PC and research, research, research.

Look into options for Thai business structures / Visas / Work Permits / Employment Laws

Start researching locations - nothing is more important than location when your income is going to be passing trade. (If your current location plan is where your girlfriend is from / wants to live then put that location at the bottom of your list until proven to be a good commercial location).

Also sign up for Sunbelt Asia's news letter - they list businesses for sale around Thailand and are in themselves a first rate business advisors.

Oh and if you've already been telling your girlfriend you are going to put a business in her name, stop now and start back peddling - Sunbelt Asia will be able to advise you of real alternatives that do not put your livelihood in the same basket as your love life.

There is no reason for you to rent a guesthouse in your girlfriends name. If you have the lease in your name, you can do some work as a "owner" without having a work premit.

Your gf can be the manager of the guesthouse, but since the lease is in your name you can kick her out if needed (to avoid loosing your money?). If you want to serve alcohol or food, these licenses can be in your gf name.

If you want a guesthouse in Phuket, I have one for rent.

Your gf can be the manager of the guesthouse, but since the lease is in your name you can kick her out if needed (to avoid loosing your money?). If you want to serve alcohol or food, these licenses can be in your gf name.

If the alcohol and food licenses are in the gf name, then how do you "kick her out" without creating problems for yourself?

There is no reason for you to rent a guesthouse in your girlfriends name. If you have the lease in your name, you can do some work as a "owner" without having a work premit.

If you want a guesthouse in Phuket, I have one for rent.

Can you send me an e-mail with information about the guesthouse you have for rent in Phuket?

Mail me here: SEND MAIL

Thanks

i have not much idea, but staying stuck behind the pc, won't bring me anywhere to.

I disagree, I think you can do a lot of ground work from behind your PC that would provide you with an good foundation if you decide to start any business here in Thailand. Agree, but at the end, i will have to take the step, and go there and start my plans.

This particular branch of ThaiVisa is a great place to start - but here's at tip, don't just look at information relating to Guesthouses and Hotels, read as many business threads as you can - They all have something to offer in terms of understanding doing business in Thailand. I found out that in Thailand, where's money, there's competition, so good business can be anything.

With respect to owning a business in Thailand, there are other options to putting the business in your girlfriend's name and very many reasons for not putting a business in your girlfriend's name.

My advice is stay sitting behind your PC and research, research, research.

Look into options for Thai business structures / Visas / Work Permits / Employment Laws

Start researching locations - nothing is more important than location when your income is going to be passing trade. (If your current location plan is where your girlfriend is from / wants to live then put that location at the bottom of your list until proven to be a good commercial location). If you mean Pattani? No way I want to start something in that area. The income should come from the tourists area.

Also sign up for Sunbelt Asia's news letter - they list businesses for sale around Thailand and are in themselves a first rate business advisors. Thanks for the tip, i will sign up with them.

Oh and if you've already been telling your girlfriend you are going to put a business in her name, stop now and start back peddling - No, I didn't do that. :) Sunbelt Asia will be able to advise you of real alternatives that do not put your livelihood in the same basket as your love life. I agree, but will al respect for my girlfriend.

If you are going to take up any offers I'd seriously suggest you get Sunbelt in to undertake a "Due Diligence Check" for you.

Negotiate a fee up front and have them complete full checks on claimed turn-over, ownership, outstanding liabilities etc.

Have you owned or operated guesthouses, hotels, etc. previously? Has your girlfriend? My partner has, and it is not easy. Have you a million baht to lose?

excellent advice there pb, it will fall on deaf ears i fear.

dont know why the op doesnt get his girlfriend to join him in his own country, and why his mind is so set on giving up all the advantages he has in europe.

Have you owned or operated guesthouses, hotels, etc. previously? Has your girlfriend? My partner has, and it is not easy. Have you a million baht to lose?

I understand the importance of doing some administration and risk calculations before starting anything.

If the alcohol and food licenses are in the gf name, then how do you "kick her out" without creating problems for yourself?

You still have the guesthouse in your name, and you apply for new alcohol and food licenses in another thais name next day. No rocket sciense.

You still have the guesthouse in your name, and you apply for new alcohol and food licenses in another thais name next day. No rocket sciense.

And of course you would not need any more 'tea money' to secure another liquor license. How long did it take and how much did your first license cost?

If you are going to do it, you have to do it the legal way. Open a Co.Ltd., get a work permit, pay your taxes and so on. This costs a lot of money every month. Not even talking about the investment. So, can you afford it or not? This is the question. Can you afford then to lose this money or not?

Do yoursself a favour and think carefully about it.

By the way.... i don't know why especially in Thailand too many think they can put their actions arround the corner, no work permit etc.

Do it legally and sleep better.

Good Luck

If you are going to do it, you have to do it the legal way. Open a Co.Ltd., get a work permit, pay your taxes and so on. This costs a lot of money every month. Not even talking about the investment. So, can you afford it or not? This is the question. Can you afford then to lose this money or not?

Do yoursself a favour and think carefully about it.

By the way.... i don't know why especially in Thailand too many think they can put their actions arround the corner, no work permit etc.

Do it legally and sleep better.

Good Luck

Of course it should be all legal.