Renting An Apartment -

To the OP how long has this been going on?

For more than one year now. True, some of these deadbeats (some pay their rent late and) eventually move out, only to be replaced by similar tenants. The management is made up of ethnic Indians and afraid of the Thai tenants. (The manager, a married Sikh, actually has the secretary as his girlfriend, and told me, that stomping and noisy 24-hour moving of furniture in the apartment above mine, where the secretary moved into a few months ago, got to be a ghost... :D:) ) The rent is not cheap, mind you, especially for the location. The landlord wants to attract long-term foreign tenants, but they all move out after one year or so.

Sounds like you managed to find a place which attracts these kind of people. Not much you can do except for move out.

Sometime you need to pay a bit more, not necessarily getting anything better for the money, but the increased cost helps weed out the people like this.

If you go low budget you're bound to get low budget neighbors.

Sounds like you managed to find a place which attracts these kind of people. Not much you can do except for move out.

Sometime you need to pay a bit more, not necessarily getting anything better for the money, but the increased cost helps weed out the people like this.

If you go low budget you're bound to get low budget neighbors.

Then you get my kind of neighbors, hi-so wannabees and a ton of lesbian couples, not that I'm complaining. Every day is like being at a fashion show for me.

Have similar problems, albeit not as severe sounding as yours. Just bought and moved into a new condo block a few months ago right near MBK and unfortunately didn't take into account the proximity to Chula University. Several of the units in the building have been purchased by rich Thais for their children to use while studying. It is very obvious it is the first time away from home for most of the kids in the building cause they are up at all hours of the night listening to loud music, slamming doors, shouting, and did i mention slamming doors!!!!

Our neighbor is teaching himself to play the electric guitar but after enduring many nights of repetitive strumming we stepped next door to have a firm word. However, our upstairs neighbors (a young Thai lad and his girlfriend) are extraordinarily loud at all hours. We even joke that they must have a baby pet elephant up there cause of the constant stomping back and forth at all hours of the night. Oh, and did i mention the slamming doors? What is it with Thai kids and slamming doors!!!! :)

This is a problem ANYWHERE you live. in ANY country and its difficult if not impossible to stop. before now I have asked politley for someone to stop making a noise result was a "childlike" more noise ie slamming doors louder deliberately ( I moved but still give the woman the odd 3 am phone call there if she wants to be stupid 2 can play at it). Thais, and I am generalising, dont seem to see this noise a s a problem. A strong committee and management can help considerably. My wifes on the committe where we are and its not so much of a problem but there are many complaints about this from Thais also resident where we are. From screaming kids to late night noise early morning noise etc etc. Its also impossible to know when you move to a new place what its really like on YOUR flooor of a condo until you are actually living in it and by then it may be too late. You will have to accept a certain level of noise.

When we rent our condos out to new tenants there is a "keep quiet" clause in our contracts but how many other landlords in our condos have this I dont know. The management rules also state to keep quiet and w e do complain and we do get it stopped eventually.........so far.

Anyone wants details of our condos pm me none available until possibly JULY this year, ON Nut area

nice segway :D

The problem sometimes is that you get some rich kid who's mommy and daddy are more important and poweful than little old farang renter.

Thanks :D "segue" :):D Unless you want a two wheel transportation thingummmmy?

Where in the west is this common? I have never heard of it (in Australia).

Almost all leases in Australia have a clause requiring the person renting the property to be provided with "Quiet enjoyment" (WHich does not just mean noise.) In fact it is a requiremt for leases under the Residentioal Tenancies Acts in mosat states. Thus the leesee may serve notice on the owner to enforce this provision and damages may be claimed.

Fine & dandy for Australia, but Thailand certainly is not Australia. Thais are generally immune to extranious noises. Best to look for another apt. My apt is populated by many nurses & med tech who work various shifts, so they need to sleep. It is a very quiet place.

Does anybody have an idea where to buy second hand concert sound system ?

We bought a house in the country side. We bought the place because it was very quiet. But my wife just announced me they're building a resort nearby and knowing the people in the area, one of their major attraction is karaoke until 2 a.m. I've a great collection of hip hop records and so far I've found they are not very popular with Thais. I'm wondering how they will like it at 3 am.

PS : I'm really serious about the sound system, it shouldn't be so expensive and as other people said, I don't really see any other option.

Thais are noise resistant. I have seen Thais sleeping at the most unbelievable places.

One was at a tiny sales booth, where a Thai lady was sleeping, while sitting on an old iron chair without a back, the hot air was filled with intense cooking smells, hordes of people passing right in front of her, her upper body was twisted 90 degrees to the left and her head rested on a turned up loudspeaker.

Thais are noise resistant. I have seen Thais sleeping at the most unbelievable places.

One was at a tiny sales booth, where a Thai lady was sleeping, while sitting on an old iron chair without a back, the hot air was filled with intense cooking smells, hordes of people passing right in front of her, her upper body was twisted 90 degrees to the left and her head rested on a turned up loudspeaker.

:) sure she wasn't dead?

Really, why don't you talk to them?

Why is face to face communication with people you don't know well so horrible?

ANY conflict I have at my apt. I simply will talk to the parties involved. Knock on their door, or catch them going somewhere and ask them if they can be quieter. Make up an excuse/lie if you have to about a sleeping baby/grandma, etc.

You can't live in fear of communicating with the people around you.

They may be nice just loud people who are willing to abide by your request.