Thai Banks Asked To Cut Foreigners Atm Transaction Fees

george

I just thought about another point concerning the dollar/baht rate. If the BoT had ANY power over the rate, why is the baht so strong and getting stronger? Why don't they devalue the baht to make exports cheaper? This would be good for the economy, productivity, GDP, and jobs here.

Why? BECAUSE THEY DON'T HAVE THAT MUCH POWER! They can make little adjustments, but large moves are based on the amount of dollars being brought into this country to buy baht. Why are people buying baht? To invest in Thailand, which includes the SET. Why is this such a hard concept to understand?

• Replies 276
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I thought all Farangs were "rich" .. why are you all quibbling over a lousy 150 Baht fee? Only an idiot would withdraw multiple amounts of money from a foreign account everyday. If you live here .. get a Thai account. If you don't live here .. then you are a rich tourist .. spread the love .. don't be "kee nee-oh"

Farangs don't stay rich if the DON'T quibble about things like this.

Here visitor roll over and let us scratch your soft underbelly as we riffle your pockets.

Generally this doesn't fly with most people.

^ yep, I always use Canadia bank in Cambodia, no fees. ANZ indeed charges 2 USD.

In Laos it's 20.000 kip across the board, in Vietnam it's 20.000 dong. Malaysia and Singapore were free last time I went there. Thailand is certainly way up on the charges across the region.

^ yep, I always use Canadia bank in Cambodia, no fees. ANZ indeed charges 2 USD.

In Laos it's 20.000 kip across the board, in Vietnam it's 20.000 dong. Malaysia and Singapore were free last time I went there. Thailand is certainly way up on the charges across the region.

Here I am trying to help people understand what moves the dollar/baht rate....

This is a bit off topic, but I am hoping you can help me:

I am currently in California and will be traveling to Thailand in about ten days. I notice that the Baht is quoted on ThaiVisa at 32.3 to the US$, while the "international rate" is quoted on the XE website at 33.4 Baht to the US$. I'm assuming that the exchange rate within Thailand is now lower than it is outside the country, (in the past, the ThaiVisa quoted rate has usually been an accurate reflection of what you could expect to find at the local banks/etc.). Is there a way for me to change some dollars into Thai Baht here in California at the preferable rate and if yes, would it be worthwhile to do so, or would there be a hassle involved that might make it not worth the effort? How does one get the "international rate" when outside of Thailand? Thanks.

Edited by siamiam