Check Isp Speed

dragonfly94

is there an easy way to check the speed of your connection provided by the ISP I am pretty sure ours is less than it was when I stared paying for it

try this link: www.speedtest.net

I would not rely too much on a providers test page (most likely its only local speed!)

Edited by webfact

is there an easy way to check the speed of your connection provided by the ISP I am pretty sure ours is less than it was when I stared paying for it

First check what your modem says in respect of speed and connection quality - Data Rate, Line Attenuation, SNR Margin. If those data are bad already then it is a problem with the phone line for instance.

In addition to this your provider will have a speed test server - look at his home page. If you get around 80 percent of the rated speed of the connection then it is okay.

But somehow this has not so much to say. In my experience there is a difference in respect of speed within Thailand and to servers outside of Thailand. And even outside of Thailand it is not so easy to judge. It might depend on your provider or on the server you call or on the time. If the server you call is slow then you can have whatever connection speed is possible - it still will be slow. Then it depends on contracts of your provider with other internet providers. Some routes might be fast others not. For instance in my case some youtube videos are fast and for some I (have to) use Freegate (proxy software) to get a different route and be even faster or at least fast enough to watch them. But this changes from time to time.

Guest Reimar

As long as you use an so named home or public account account the only right you've is to pay for an maximum connection speed!

What speed you'll get in reality, is depend on the sharing and momentum use of that connection and even on your infrastructure!

To be honest: not expect anything!

Cheers.

First check what your modem says in respect of speed and connection quality - Data Rate, Line Attenuation, SNR Margin. If those data are bad already then it is a problem with the phone line for instance.

In addition to this your provider will have a speed test server - look at his home page. If you get around 80 percent of the rated speed of the connection then it is okay.

But somehow this has not so much to say. In my experience there is a difference in respect of speed within Thailand and to servers outside of Thailand. And even outside of Thailand it is not so easy to judge. It might depend on your provider or on the server you call or on the time. If the server you call is slow then you can have whatever connection speed is possible - it still will be slow. Then it depends on contracts of your provider with other internet providers. Some routes might be fast others not. For instance in my case some youtube videos are fast and for some I (have to) use Freegate (proxy software) to get a different route and be even faster or at least fast enough to watch them. But this changes from time to time.

I have no clue about these figures ...

Statistics -- ADSL

Mode: G.DMT

Type: Interleave

Line Coding: Trellis On

Link Power State: L0

Downstream Upstream

SNR Margin (dB): 11.8 16.0

Attenuation (dB): 54.0 31.5

Output Power (dBm): 11.9 17.8

Attainable Rate (Kbps): 3168 992

Rate (Kbps): 2048 512

K (number of bytes in DMT frame): 65 17

R (number of check bytes in RS code word): 12 16

S (RS code word size in DMT frame): 2 8

D (interleaver depth): 32 8

Delay (msec): 16 16

Super Frames: 6777800 6777707

Super Frame Errors: 291 0

RS Words: 230445230 57609515

RS Correctable Errors: 135089 0

RS Uncorrectable Errors: 2611 N/A

HEC Errors: 239 0

OCD Errors: 0 0

LCD Errors: 0 0

Total Cells: 556545642 0

Data Cells: 77099713 0

Bit Errors: 0 0

Total ES: 156 0

Total SES: 0 0

Total UAS: 26 0

Someone can fill me in on these figures .... good/bad?

[

Statistics -- ADSL

Mode: G.DMT

Type: Interleave

Line Coding: Trellis On

Link Power State: L0

Downstream Upstream

SNR Margin (dB): 11.8 16.0

Attenuation (dB): 54.0 31.5

I would judge the SNR margin as not so good (higher is better) and the attenuation as bad (lower is better). I have SNR 29 26 and attenuation 6 3 - it is a very good connection. But check what speed you get with the speed test to the server at your provider. Perhaps the modem does not display correct values.

The numbers are fairly good for the speed you're subscribed to.

Those numbers allow for about 50% faster speeds ( as indicated by your routers estimate of whet the maximum attainable speed would be on your phoneline), so you can be pretty sure the actual ADSL link is good.

Basically when using speedtest.net, testing on the Bangkok server should give you 1.6 Mbps down and about 0.3 to 0.4 Mbps upload.

What you'll get testing from a server outside of Thailand will depend on what package you have (home, small business or a full business package).

Getting consistently 40% or more of your rated speed is considered excellent for a home package!

On the SME package this should be 60% or more...

Thanks.

As I said in multiple posts,I am pretty much satisfied about TOT (Cybergold 2Mbs).

I normally get 1.7 /0.40 from the Bangkok server (LA during most of the day and night 1.1 - 1.2 / 0.20).

Apparently my numbers are no so good, but I can live with them.