Which Italian Restaurant To Recommend ?

meyori

What has Italy done for the world other than the so called discovery or "pizza"

Canned spaghetti :) ?

That, it seems, was an American contribution to the culinary arts. You might perhaps want to propose that TV members vote for it on a Miele Guide poll of some kind. :D

But only if it's San Francisco canned spaghetti. :D

Italians!, put them in the same basket as the majority of French folk (not all I would hasten to say)

SFA...

Didn't you watch The Life of Brian?

What have the Romans ever done for us? :D

Irrigation ...the aqueduct ...

Come on , be fair, credit where credits due!!!

Ok, AND!, Sophia Loren :)

Italian food is like any other "you like it or you don't" but when you get places Like "le coq d'or" advertising food at outrageous prices I wouldn't be seen dead in one of them.

Where do they think they are "downtown Paree, New York, Rome, Milan or wot"

5,000.00 and 6,000.00 baht for a plate of food, they can take a F/F

You can go to places like Pun Pun Restaurant (and others) and get a well cooked nourishing meal for 200.00 baht. OK the ambience might not be quite the same (Pun Pun's is far and away better) maybe Pun Pun doesn't have a pick up / take home limousine but shyt this is at best a 3rd world country (well isn't it?)

But you get these folk who think that they have to show their "supposed" wealth and just throw money away for what is really no more than crap food.

Italians!, put them in the same basket as the majority of French folk (not all I would hasten to say)

SFA...

Thank you for all great information/recommendation. Without knowing all street names, I am going to look for those restaurants on Chiang Mai map. Thank you again.

This is what Americans do with the stuff:

Watch the whole thing.

I fed it to my dog! By the way, if you have access to a lot of books (hack hack!), you might want to be on the look-out for a book entitled "The Food of Love". It is a rather spicy novel about Italy, food, wines, and life. A great read for food hounds.

Edited by T_Dog

SFA...

Didn't you watch The Life of Brian?

What have the Romans ever done for us? :D

Irrigation ...the aqueduct ...

Come on , be fair, credit where credits due!!!

Ok, AND!, Sophia Loren :)

Ferrari , Lamborgeni too but still not as beautiful as Sophia in her day...

I recommended La Fantana and Da Stefanos which were all owned by Stefano at one time. His former Italian manager is still running La Fantana and it is pretty much the same. Da Stefanos and Girasole are still run by Stefano. :)

• 6 months later...

M-Cuisine was recently bought by a new owner and the menu is the same but service is definitely better.

Superb lasagna -- traditional style and flavor.

If you appreciate home-style Italian food, I recommend M-Cuisine on Suthep Road.

The lasagna is a perfect balance of meat, cheese, and noodles.

Served with country-style, home-made bread, and a small portion of salad.

I keep returning for that.

(Ordered pizza once: very nice, but there are better pizzas in Chiangmai.)

M-Cuisine in a very quiet soi, away from street noise.

Service is quick and attentive -- better than expected in a Thai-run restaurant in that class.

In the background, soft, traditional music.

post-42045-1259680446_thumb.jpg

M-Cuisine is the direct opposite of nouvelle/fusion and similar pretentious, over-priced, excuses for food.

You won't find any spikes of vegetables sticking out on top.

No swirls of colored sauces trying to make the portion appear larger than it really is.

No heavy plates trying to fool you into thinking you're getting a lot of food.

None of that.

Just good food on a plate, served like mother would serve at home.

The decor is very basic, and, frankly, bit tattered around the edges.

Could do with a good cleaning up, but that's not likely.

Customers mostly Thai -- couples and Uni students.

A few adventurous tourists, brave enough to explore away from the Night Bazaar.

None of the cheap-Charlie, riff-raff, who inhabit Mad Dogs and similar dives around the moat.

But a major problem: M-Cuisine restaurant is very difficult to find.

It's only open at night, and that makes it even more difficult to locate down a dark soi.

Suthep Road, soi 3, about 1/2 kilometer West of the Irrigation Canal.

Across from the back gate of CMU.

In that area, there are two 7-Eleven stores close together.

Soi 3 is roughly mid-way between those two stores.

Go into soi 3 about 50 meters.

post-42045-1259680849_thumb.png

Location is in the same neighborhood as the heavily advertised Mi Casa, but different soi. (Mi Casa is in soi 5.)

Approximate only:

18°47'30.36"N

98°57'25.02"E

Difficult to find, yes, but make the effort and you will be rewarded with delicious lasagna at M-Cuisine.

-- Oneman

Edited by Oneman

Do they stay at Veerachai Court when the bars close?

Thank you.

I always appreciate any opportunity to mention a valuable feature here on the ThaiVisa forum: the Ignore User function.

That function enables each of us to be a "super moderator", by eliminating posters who delight in posting off-topic.

Complete instructions can be found on my personal profile page.

-- Oneman

Chiangmai

Actually, in the recent past, some posters have insisted on insulting each and every resident of Veerachai Court in much the way you are slamming all customers of Mad Dog. In other words, I am just as "on topic" as you are.

You claim to have put between 400 and 500 Thai Visa posters on your ignore list, but the pot is calling the kettle black. Their posts can't be anymore boneheaded than some of yours. :)

Edited by Ulysses G.

Actually, in the recent past, some posters have insisted on insulting each and every resident of Veerachai Court in much the way you are slamming all customers of Mad Dog. In other words, I am just as "on topic" as you are.

You claim to have put between 400 and 500 Thai Visa posters on your ignore list, but the pot is calling the kettle black. Their posts can't be anymore boneheaded than some of yours. :)

Are you giving him a pizza your mind?

Sorry, I'll get my coat.

Sorry, but posts calling customers of Mad Dog "cheap-charlie, riff-raff" are really unneeded. The guy who owns it does a fine job and does not need any negative publicity and besides that, many fine Thai Visa posters spend, and have spent, a lot of time there.

For example, I would like to see someone try to call good ole' Blinky Bill "riff raff" to his face.

By the way, Mad Dog does a decent pizza. :)

Edited by Ulysses G.

Italian food is like any other "you like it or you don't" but when you get places Like "le coq d'or" advertising food at outrageous prices I wouldn't be seen dead in one of them.

Where do they think they are "downtown Paree, New York, Rome, Milan or wot"

5,000.00 and 6,000.00 baht for a plate of food, they can take a F/F

You can go to places like Pun Pun Restaurant (and others) and get a well cooked nourishing meal for 200.00 baht. OK the ambience might not be quite the same (Pun Pun's is far and away better) maybe Pun Pun doesn't have a pick up / take home limousine but shyt this is at best a 3rd world country (well isn't it?)

But you get these folk who think that they have to show their "supposed" wealth and just throw money away for what is really no more than crap food.

SFA...

A very helpful post. My congratulations on behalf of the op, he must be very pleased with your insight - even if you did post in the early hours of the morning. :)

Sorry, but posts calling customers of Mad Dog "cheap-charlie, riff-raff" are really unneeded. The guy who owns it does a fine job and does not need any negative publicity and besides that, many fine Thai Visa posters spend, and have spent, a lot of time there.

For example, I would like to see someone try to call good ole' Blinky Bill "riff raff" to his face.

By the way, Mad Dog does a decent pizza. :)

I agree. Flaming, as you outlined in your first sentence, is not needed or appreciated.

Afraid your reference to Blinky Bill in this thread is lost on me. But as a poster he could be included amongst those who flame with little contribution to topic. So I cannot see him getting much sympathy. Obviously the clique on Chiangmai Thaivisa that are part of the self-appreciation society will always support one another. Support is fine, networking is fine, flaming is not. Kevin's little group is the best example of punters jumping in to disrupt threads.

I agree.

on road 118 about 4 ks form Doi Saket, at Ban Bo Hin, a pizza / pasta joint called Giardino, run by two Thai boys is excellent, pizza is very good and the pasta also very good and wine by the glass at 50 tbt. Give it a try if you in the area. A bit lacking in ambiance, but the service excellent

on road 118 about 4 ks form Doi Saket, at Ban Bo Hin, a pizza / pasta joint called Giardino, run by two Thai boys is excellent, pizza is very good and the pasta also very good and wine by the glass at 50 tbt. Give it a try if you in the area. A bit lacking in ambiance, but the service excellent

SHOO, we don't want our little secret to get out about Giardino's. Well have all that rift raft from the form out hear. :)

If you appreciate home-style Italian food, I recommend M-Cuisine on Suthep Road.

The lasagna is a perfect balance of meat, cheese, and noodles.

Served with country-style, home-made bread, and a small portion of salad.

I keep returning for that.

Thanks for the recommendation Oneman. Tried to visit there last night about 9pm, but it was closed. Might try again tonight.

Surprised no one has mentioned Girasole in the old city. Great pizza and a nice garden court yard. My favorite place for sure.

I'm happy to second VIBE's recommendation: Girasole is one of my favorites, too.

I keep going back for the spinach-ricotta pizza.

Tried their lasagna recently -- it's adequate, but their pizza is, so far, the highlight.

-- Oneman

Chiangmai

Link to Girasole web site, with map: http://www.chiangmaindex.com/girasole.html

pizzaiolo.jpg _ _ garden.jpg