If We Wanted To Leave Thailand What's The Next Best Place?

Junglejumbo

With the political turmoil (albeit it could all end positively) and lack of employment here currently where should a person go who's been here almost a couple of decades and for at least 2/3 of that time had a great time but now has a nagging feeling that it might be time to move on??

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'd probably move on to somewhere else within Thailand.

That would just mask the problem for a little while.

Byron Bay in Australia is nice, or Cornwall if youre from England.

But everywhere in the world isnt too stable economically speaking, even if Western politicians are now trying to tell us otherwise.

Money would always be the deciding factor though.

I'd probably move on to somewhere else within Thailand.

I love Thailand so Much that i was about to reply chiangmai -)

maybe between the border of Lao and thailand - Thai-lao ?

If We Wanted To Leave Thailand What's The Next Best Place?

your question is very specific as it contains a huge amount of information... similar to "i don't like my car anymore, what's the next best car i should buy and how long is a piece of string?" :)

how long is a piece of string?" :)

I saw a piece that was 9cm long the other day. :D

The OP's original question lacks specifics, so it is almost impossible to answer. None of us know what the OP actually is looking for in terms of culture, quality of life, etc.

I can only state that I am seriously looking at Sihanoukville, Cambodia (now similar to Pattaya 20 years ago but growing fast) and also The Philippines (some areas are very nice).

Outside of the region, I think Uruguay is a real possibility.

But perhaps the OP needs to specify what he is looking for........there is a big difference between, for example, Sihanoukville and Honolulu.

With the political turmoil (albeit it could all end positively) and lack of employment here currently where should a person go who's been here almost a couple of decades and for at least 2/3 of that time had a great time but now has a nagging feeling that it might be time to move on??

:)

I would hate to leave Thailand but here, in no particular order, are my choices.

1. Malaysia (probably around Penang)

2. Cambodia (probably Sihanoukville)

3. Laos

4. Vietnam (near Vung Tau, most likely)

5. Bali

6. Indonesia (other than Bali)

All in Southeast Asia.

:D

I would stick with the USA.

I can’t think of another country that would let me continue my hobby of firearms.

Also there’s more economic opportunity in USA "for me" ....than any other country, and it has the best military, so I don’t think it'd ever get conquered.

Since I have no idea what the OP is looking for , as in what context or reference to…

…So yay….the above is my “final answer” for now. :)

I can't think of another country that would let me continue my hobby of firearms.

Also there's more economic opportunity in USA "for me" ....

Yes me too

For the most part but...

I like the detached US best

50th State for the reasons you mentioned.

If I didn't live here, I would be in the USA, Canada, Australia, or New Zealand.  Any of those would suit me.

However, if you are looking for the "Thai" experience, I would say the Philippines or Cambodia, or possibly Bali if beaches are your thing.

Both the Philippines and Cambodia are improving their base economies, and while neither offers the creature comforts of Thailand yet, they are improving.  And both offer an easy chance to form relationships, even if the Philippines tends to focus on permanent ones.

But for me, Thailand it is.

I can’t think of another country that would let me continue my hobby of firearms.

Also there’s more economic opportunity in USA "for me" ....than any other country, and it has the best military, so I don’t think it'd ever get conquered.Since I have no idea what the OP is looking for , as in what context or reference to…

…So yay….the above is my “final answer” for now. :)

...that argument seems to be a bit strange, because nowadays not many countries are in danger of getting conquered.

Quality of Living global city rankings 2009 – Mercer survey

United Kingdom

London, 28 April 2009

■European cities dominate the top of the ranking

■Vienna scores highest for overall quality of living, Baghdad the lowest

■Singapore ranks top for city infrastructure; London ranks eighth

Vienna has passed Zurich to take the top spot as the world’s city with the best quality of living, according to the Mercer 2009 Quality of Living Survey. Geneva retains its position in third place, while Vancouver and Auckland are now joint fourth in the rankings.

Overall, European cities continue to dominate the top locations in this year’s survey. In the UK, London ranks at 38, while Birmingham and Glasgow are jointly at 56. In the US, the highest ranking entry is Honolulu at position 29. Singapore (26) is the top-scoring Asian city followed by Tokyo at 35. Baghdad, ranking 215, remains at the bottom of the table.

The rankings are based on a point-scoring index, which sees Vienna score 108.6, and Baghdad 14.4. Cities are ranked against New York as the base city with an index score of 100. Mercer’s Quality of Living ranking covers 215 cities and is conducted to help governments and major companies place employees on international assignments. See top 50 quality of living rankings below.

Slagin Parakatil, senior researcher at Mercer, commented: “As a result of the current financial crisis, multinationals are looking to review their international assignment policies with a view to cutting costs.”

“Many companies plan to reduce the number of medium to long-term international assignments and localise their expatriate compensation packages where possible though the hardship allowance, based on quality of living criteria, will remain an essential component of the package,” he added.

This year’s ranking also identifies the cities with the best infrastructure based on electricity supply, water availability, telephone and mail services, public transport provision, traffic congestion and the range of international flights from local airports.

Singapore is at the top of this index (score 109.1) followed by Munich in second place and Copenhagen in third. Japanese cities Tsukuba (4) and Yokohama (5) fill the next two slots, whilst Dusseldorf and Vancouver share sixth place. Baghdad ranks at the bottom of the table with a score of only 19.6. See top 50 infrastructure rankings below

Mr Parakatil commented: “Infrastructure has a significant effect on the quality of living experienced by expatriates. Whilst often taken for granted when functioning to a high standard, a city’s infrastructure can generate severe hardship when it is lacking. Companies need to provide adequate allowances to compensate their international workers for these and other hardships.”

Full report:

http://www.mercer.com/qualityoflivingpr

Edited by Birdman