Is Friday "dry"?

moo9

On many of these special Buddhist days the police issue notification to bars which states:

"Please try to show respect to Buddhism and try to refrain from selling alcohol" (or words very close to that effect) which is automatically translated by excitable and not very attentive Thai bar staff to a Farang boss as "no can sell beer."

I honestly cannot remember any of the Buddhist holidays being a zero alcohol day......... but of course TiT and rules change daily!

Most places will compromise by keeping outside lights off and the music down. Some places choose to sell booze in coffee mugs. I've always worked by the credo "don't take the piss, keep your head down and you'll be ok"....... seems to work. :)

Edited by AceCafe

This particular Buddha day is the most important in the year, this year as in years gone by there will be a notice requesting all of the bars etc. to respect this and stay closed, it is normally a 'request' and not an instruction, basically it is up to the individual bars whether to open and sell alcohol or close.

However a lot of them will decide to close, this is because it is strongly requested and that means they could well find themselves subject to various problems later on, believe me when I say the BIB look, notice and remember who closed and who didn't. Those that didn't had better be sure that all their licenses, taxes, girls etc. etc. are in order, coz they may well find somebody will be checking on all of this.

A lot will also depend on where the bars are located and the nature of their business, for instance I can almost guarantee that the gogos will close on Walking Street!

So in answer to the OP's question, we will all have to wait and see who opens and who doesn't.

I just got a reply from Jack Tar Bar soi 6 , and they are closed on Friday,, as to others i dont know yet , :)

Zayme proschedua.....we have May 6, so there is plenty of time for the BiB to issue the rule for 2009.....

Friday will be rather dark and quiet until Midnight....

I had a few chats last night.....some places closed, some unaware, many open but no music no light, not showing alcohol.

I respect those religous holidays much more than the stupid pre- and election bans!

i came home from work to the dark side stopped at two 7-11's i got beer and sansong but every bar i past shut . so best stock up in the good old 7-11 and it was b4 5pm love it . would rather sit at home drinking then in some shit bar with the lights out and drinking from a coffee mug .

i came home from work to the dark side stopped at two 7-11's i got beer and sansong but every bar i past shut . so best stock up in the good old 7-11 and it was b4 5pm love it . would rather sit at home drinking then in some shit bar with the lights out and drinking from a coffee mug .

I had no problem at 7-11 buying a couple of Changs. Have you noticed that they now sell large Chang 2-packs for 67 Baht yet a single large Chang is priced at 38 Baht. That is a saving of 4.5 baht per bottle. Good news at last!