Central World Bangkok

babuhavas

went to central world bangkok few days before,a huge building with big walking area,big show rooms,

but very few people there,the mall was dead,all the shops were empty,nobody shoping,even food court was empty.........i wonder how shops can survive with all those monthly fix expences.

is there somthing wrong with the mall?

Malls do most of their business on weekends, holidays and after 5pm. Not usual for a mall like that to be dead during daylight hours on a Monday. All the people with money are at work!

Stores here also have lower volume in sales at higher margins. Hence the reason why electronic stuff is usually a couple of seasons behind.

Edited by JohnGotti

when it opened - i wasn't a big fan of it - but the last few times I have been there it has grown on me.

compared to Central Lad Prao - CW is much nicer, quieter. Even prefer it to Paragon and Emporium.

went to central world bangkok few days before,a huge building with big walking area,big show rooms,

but very few people there,the mall was dead,all the shops were empty,nobody shoping,even food court was empty.........i wonder how shops can survive with all those monthly fix expences.

is there somthing wrong with the mall?

Have to laugh because I went to Siam Discovery yesterday and thought how quiet it was and how do the high end shops with no customers make money.

The Tag Heuer shop the sales girl was sleeping in a chair next to the door while the slick slippy manager was milling about at the back pressing buttons on his phone...

I like Central Lad Prao its always busy lots of white blouses and black super mini shorts from ST Johns clip clop click clacking around

Hate Central itself good products too many slow/lazy/gossiping/talking/following around/ sir sir sales staff and then when its time to pay it takes 5 staff to handle it! gggrrrr .....

I went to Central World to try the supposedly good hamburgers there, but they were pretty horrible. I did catch a movie there, though, and I loved it.  At least one of the theaters has beds for seats as well as bean bag chairs.  Gotta love it!

I work in Central World Tower, above CW, and so know the mall like the back of my hand... I really like the place now that I know where everything is, and after so many lunch breaks milling around I guess many of the shop staff recognise me and I seem to get hassled less. Either that or I've just got used to it over the years.

I think everywhere's very quiet right now. I don't find CW as quiet, or as vast as Paragon. Plus it's got lots of the ordinary high street shops you see in the UK now - Next, M&S, Top Shop, Miss Selfridge, Zara, Mango, etc. - so I find it sort of 'normal'. And I love Zen for buying birthday presents.

Guess I just prefer it 'cos I know it but I find it has everything I need and I rarely bother going anywhere else.

I've never liked Central World. Before the renovation it was a dinky, dark, low-ceiling-ed maze filled with an odd assortment of uninteresting shops.

I can't believe after the 'billion baht' renovation it was exactly the same, only bigger and more maze-like. If it wasn't for Mos Burger I'd never set foot in the place.

Also Central World is probably the worst environmental offender of all the shopping centers - walk through the plaza out in front of the mall and you can actually feel the exterior air a few degrees cooler because every single mall door will be stuck open, pumping AC into the great wide open. They should either fix the doors so they don't stick when opened wide OR tell the doorman (of which it appears there are 6 or 7 at any given moment, standing around, staring at girls) to shut the dam_n doors!

Humbug!

I've never liked Central World. Before the renovation it was a dinky, dark, low-ceiling-ed maze filled with an odd assortment of uninteresting shops.

I can't believe after the 'billion baht' renovation it was exactly the same, only bigger and more maze-like. If it wasn't for Mos Burger I'd never set foot in the place.

Also Central World is probably the worst environmental offender of all the shopping centers - walk through the plaza out in front of the mall and you can actually feel the exterior air a few degrees cooler because every single mall door will be stuck open, pumping AC into the great wide open. They should either fix the doors so they don't stick when opened wide OR tell the doorman (of which it appears there are 6 or 7 at any given moment, standing around, staring at girls) to shut the dam_n doors!

Humbug!

Good lord, are you sure you would rather put your post in the other thread running in the General Forum - something about being to bitchy lately?

If you want to see a busy mall with lots of locals actually buying things, then go to MBK.

Central's good, but most people, me included, just go to look, walk and eat.

And I've never even been in Gaysorn .... and I hope my wife hasn't either.

Few customers and a stand alone Central around the corner and now plans to turn the UK Embassy site into an annex attached to it. One big shopping center from Siam Square to Sukhumvite.

I work in Central World Tower, above CW, and so know the mall like the back of my hand... I really like the place now that I know where everything is, and after so many lunch breaks milling around I guess many of the shop staff recognise me and I seem to get hassled less. Either that or I've just got used to it over the years.

I think everywhere's very quiet right now. I don't find CW as quiet, or as vast as Paragon. Plus it's got lots of the ordinary high street shops you see in the UK now - Next, M&S, Top Shop, Miss Selfridge, Zara, Mango, etc. - so I find it sort of 'normal'. And I love Zen for buying birthday presents.

Guess I just prefer it 'cos I know it but I find it has everything I need and I rarely bother going anywhere else.

To me, CW is like a maze. I can't find anything twice. Yes, I know how to get to Zen and Isetan, but it is everything in between that gets lost.

Few customers and a stand alone Central around the corner and now plans to turn the UK Embassy site into an annex attached to it. One big shopping center from Siam Square to Sukhumvite.

Yes, I saw the article in the business section of the Bangkok Post today with an artist's impression of the new Central development at the old embassy grounds.

Is this 'Central' company the same as the 'Central World' company.

All these Centrals in non-central Bangkok locations makes for a lot of confusion. The taxi drivers must love it!

...and I've never even been in Gaysorn .... and I hope my wife hasn't either.

Gaysorn is great. You can get from the Skytrain to Central world via Gaysorn and keep cool. And there's hardly any people in the way. :)

If you want to see a busy mall with lots of locals actually buying things, then go to MBK......

or Central LatPhrao - which is usually so packed with people during weekends that you can barely walk and is therefore nothing for people with claustrophobia.

same at THE MALL Bangkapi, busy 7 days a week (at least from mid-afternoon an) though it is much much bigger than Central Lat Phrao of course. The best Mall in Bangkok for sure - it's for the "normal" people, and free of "museum-like-HISO-shops" where people can only watch but not buy. on a sunday afternoon or evening, it usually takes 60-90 minutes to exit the parking lot, so better dont go there by private car :)

Good lord, are you sure you would rather put your post in the other thread running in the General Forum - something about being to bitchy lately?

Excuuuuuuuuuuuuse me. :D

I thought the title of the thread was "Central World Bangkok - what do you think?"

I had no idea it was really "Central World Bangkok - what do you think? - But nothing negative please, cause frankly I don't really want to know what you think of it, I just wanted to start a thread expressing my love for this gargantuan eyesore and really have no interest in dissenting opinions as my mind is already made up."

:)

Edited by Cowboyshoe

If you want to see a busy mall with lots of locals actually buying things, then go to MBK......

or Central LatPhrao - which is usually so packed with people during weekends that you can barely walk and is therefore nothing for people with claustrophobia.

same at THE MALL Bangkapi, busy 7 days a week (at least from mid-afternoon an) though it is much much bigger than Central Lat Phrao of course. The best Mall in Bangkok for sure - it's for the "normal" people, and free of "museum-like-HISO-shops" where people can only watch but not buy. on a sunday afternoon or evening, it usually takes 60-90 minutes to exit the parking lot, so better dont go there by private car :)

60 to 90 minutes is right.  I have made that mistake twice!

I don't know that I would call it the best in Bangkok though.  I don't see much difference between it and the Mall Bang Khae, for example.

and also......dose the sky walk from siam BTS belong to central?if yes then they should have made it more attractive to get people inn...instade of just pass by.

Edited by babuhavas

Yes, I saw the article in the business section of the Bangkok Post today with an artist's impression of the new Central development at the old embassy grounds.

Is this 'Central' company the same as the 'Central World' company.

All these Centrals in non-central Bangkok locations makes for a lot of confusion. The taxi drivers must love it!

The Central Group of Companies is a family-owned conglomerate holding company in Thailand that is involved in retailing, real estate, hotels and restaurants. Among its subsidiaries is Central Pattana (SET: CPN), which is the largest developer and operator of shopping centers in Thailand, the Central Retail Corporation, Thailand's biggest retail conglomerate, and Central Hotels and Resorts, renamed Centara Hotels and Resorts in 2007, which owns 11 resort hotels in Thailand.

Most people know which mall they want to go to and refer to it by name, i.e. Central Lad Phrao, Central Rama III, etc. Only people that stay only in Sukhumvit area would get into a taxi and say "take me to Central" :)

TH

Nice and stocked Gourmet Market as well;

but, why on the 7th floor?

They are trying to attract a HI so clientelle.

HI so won't go all the way to 7th floor,

wrong mate, check out the food loft at central chidlom - not in the basement with the mk's of the world :)