Corruption And Not Getting An Id Card

ilgitano

She's a 'mountain girl' - I know. That should say it all. I've been with her about 4 years now, and have no reason to think she's lying.

She has a 22yr old daughter and 20yr son, both with full ID. Her ex husband was a thai policeman, but never sorted her ID because he knew she'd leave (the 'marriage' wasn't voluntary - she DID leave as soon as she had a chance)

Apparently, about 10 years ago she should have GOT her ID but a recent arrival in the village paid the headman 1000 THB, and got her ID. There's some lady running around who has the same mother and father and house details as my gf - a sister? :D

The headman and immigration officers in her area are regularly locked up for corruption. She has persisted - without offering bribes - for over ten years to get her ID. If she could figure out the bribe game, and she had the money, she'd pay it, but just keeps getting brushed off.

She took a more pushy friend and finally managed to get a look at her records which she has never gotten a look at before; according to her records, she was born in Burma - and her mother (AFAIK she has never been near burma - or her mother. She's actually from China originally about 25 years ago overland via Laos.) The alleged burmese origin was a bolt out of the blue for her.

Anyway, past corruption seems to be PREVENTING her from getting ID. Getting ID on the sly is very risky now - I have heard of people having there ID cancelled if corruption is involved, and nobody believes ID can be had for less than 100000 THB if that nowadays.

:D THE POINT

ID corruption seems to be taken pretty seriously now. I actually met an old lady on the Chiangmai / BKK overnighter once who said exactly that, and she worked with the investigators. I never got her contact details; does anybody know anything about this? Might it be a good idea to contact the anti-corruption side to at least get her records cleaned up? My own thought is that if her records are cleaned up, she'd get her ID in short order.

Right now it looks like she is being officially encouraged to forge supporting people and documents herself to patch the errors in her records into some sort of officially acceptable consistency. I suspect that might just dig her in deeper. The officials who have looked indicate that it seems quite clear her records have been messed with to cover other peoples tracks. And they seem to be scared to open up an investigation - they kept saying that their current management were being investigated or had been arrested - come back in 2 months, and we can do something. That was continuously over the last 2-3 years. Now she is being encouraged to forge support and get her records moved to another precinct. She's just been told she now has another 8 month wait.

NB: According to her records her mother had her when she was 8 yrs old :)

Edited by ilgitano

Moved to general forum.

I moved it here because I think it may get greater exposure here than the visa forum.

Please keep it on topic. No political comments please.

The op is looking for advice.

NCCC - National Counter Corruption Commission, just renamed to NACC - National Anti-Corruption Commission.

Anybody have some experience with these people?

UN appears to closely liaise with them - I think that's where the lady I met was involved.

No obvious (English lang anyway) point of contact...

What does "op" mean?

Edited by ilgitano