1992 Merc 300 Ce Vs. 1995 Bmw525i

I am not talking about frankenstein jobs, they must have original engines( although the 2 jz is worthy!). They are very different cars but for those in the know which one is more reliable, less pricey to maintain, easier to find parts for, more enjoyable to drive?In Thailand of course. On a second note anyone know any good garages for both the Merc and Bmw in Bangkok/Chonburi area? :)

which one is more reliable, less pricey to maintain

Of course this will depend on previous owners, mileage & condition..

The 1992 Merc 300 Ce would normally be the cheaper, all the people I know with the E34 have or often have had electrical problems, whereas 2 Thais in the area with the 300Ce have never had any problems, one has near 500,000km on the clock

Many places Merc's are used as Taxi's because they are trouble free and fine with very high mileage

Hello Ignis, can you tell me where you saw the cheap 300CE? BMW 525i from 95 starts around 280.000 and the 300CE from 91/92 starts around 550.000...

Usually the w124 coupe is a lot more expensive then the 525i. How much is the price difference?

Anyway, I would go for the classic coupe. It is a beautiful and very solid car. If you take good care of it, you can drive it for years and not loose any money, in case you want to sale it in the future...

BMW is also a nice drive but I would not touch such an old BMW due to the possibility of electrical problems because of unskilled mechanics especially in LOS.

Hello Ignis, can you tell me where you saw the cheap 300CE? BMW 525i from 95 starts around 280.000 and the 300CE from 91/92 starts around 550.000...

Usually the w124 coupe is a lot more expensive then the 525i. How much is the price difference?

Anyway, I would go for the classic coupe. It is a beautiful and very solid car. If you take good care of it, you can drive it for years and not loose any money, in case you want to sale it in the future...

BMW is also a nice drive but I would not touch such an old BMW due to the possibility of electrical problems because of unskilled mechanics especially in LOS.

Crossed wires me thinks.....

My reply was to 'which one is more reliable, less pricey to maintain' my answer was 'The 1992 Merc 300 Ce would normally be the cheaper'

My reply was for more reliable, less pricey to maintain NOT for buying

There are 2 For Sale [last week] near me both are 300CE 'BRABUS' the 1991 is 675,000 the 1992 with only one owner and 67,000km is 990,000 baht..

Last August when I was looking for another car there was a very nice unmarked 1994 E34 in dark blue with one Company owner since new and 118,000km for 330,000 baht, so yes the BMW is a lot cheaper to buy.. if was tempting but the Volvo 850 Turbo 1996 also with only one owner and just 116,000 km for 270,000 was tempting, I ended up buying an Audi A6

Edit? If the Op was looking for a Merc 300 Ce Vs. Bmw525i on price then the E34 is out as he could buy a newer BMW E39 for the same price

Edited by ignis

why not just buy a new Japanese car out of curiosity?

I sold my Top model Honda Jazz I bought new..

The older cars cost 5x times or more when new.

For me the reason… I do not use it a great deal as also have a D-Max bought new last year. European older car have many more standard fittings… Climate control not air con, = much better and a heater when it’s cold, electric seats, much better radio/cassette with built in 10 disc CD, Leather as standard, All windows have 30% tints from factory, 2.4 V6 injection so much more power and quieter then the Jazz.

Being a big person both tall and wide, there is far more room inside for me to drive than the D-Max or the Jazz