Saved almost 100,000 baht, have work permit and passport, will possibly be off to China or Korea in a couple of months, for a couple of months.

It's not vital that I would be able to use the account there but it would be useful.

Money is currently stored in a safe but I want to open an account.

There's a Bangkok bank near me but I've heard Siam Commercial is better, there's also that yellow one, now are they all pretty much the same or is there one in particular I should go for?

Cheers in adv.

Edited by The Gentleman Scamp

Saved almost 100,000 baht, have work permit and passport, will possibly be off to China or Korea in a couple of months, for a couple of months.

It's not vital that I would be able to use the account there but it would be useful.

There's a Bangkok bank near me but I've heard Siam Commercial is better, there's also that yellow one, now are they all pretty much the same or is there one in particular I should go for?

Cheers in adv.

100000 baht?Or dollars?

100000 baht is only about $2500,kind of what I consider pocket change and have in my wallet daily.

And I was worried $200000+ would be too little!

Cheers in adv.

Siam commercial is good. If you were going for longer and had a bit more cash, i would suggest the HSBC bank.

HSBC is a good choice. Just walk around the area you'll be staying to see who has the most ATMs or where the nearest bank is. Then go to that bank with your passport, they'll open you a savings account and give you an ATM card. You'll need your passport and maybe a plane ticket to close the account.

I'm in Korea right now if you need info on that.

Cheers in adv.

SCB, SCB, SCB -- if all ###### breaks loose, this is your first choice; 2nd is TMB -- why? where do the the heavy dudes (and I mean real heavy!) have their dough? The finance Ministry cut their holdings in TMB recently, I believe to under 10%, but the Sheriff's wife used to have (and might still have) a ton of TMB stock.

In a crisis, the yellow one (Bank of Ayuthaya) --great service, but small -- I'd be hesitant to put LT funds there.

:o

Cheers in adv.

And, more importantly, well done on saving the money! Take a bow! :o