Drinkers To Pay More

Boater

Prices of beer, whisky and brandy are all up as a result of the increase in alcohol excise tax effective after midnight Tuesday.

Drinkers of white whisky had to pay from 1.75 to 2.50 baht more and those favouring special blended whisky would find it up about five baht more, he added.

Brandy is increased by 19 baht, according to the deputy minister.

The rising prices are due to the cabinet's decision to raise the alcohol excise tax ranging from 7 to 9%.

Finance Minister Korn Chatikavanij said the rise would generate about 70 billion baht a year for the government.

The rising revue from the tax would be used for the government on its economic stimulus package, he added.

http://www.bangkokpost.com/breakingnews/14...ers-to-pay-more

window.google_render_ad();

Wow, booze going up about 2 baht a bottle on average will put an extra 70 billion baht in the government's till. In a country of over 60 million "Buddhists" where the 5th precept of Buddhism is, "Do not Take Intoxicants", that's surprising. I guess your average Thai Buddhist heeds the rules of their religion just as poorly as your average Christian does.

BTW, the other precepts are, "Do not kill" Do not steal" "Do not indulge in sexual misconduct" and "Do not lie"

Hmmm.......

Edited by Beacher

Wow, booze going up about 2 baht a bottle on average will put an extra 70 billion baht in the government's till. In a country of over 60 million "Buddhists" where the 5th precept of Buddhism is, "Do not Take Intoxicants", that's surprising. I guess your average Thai Buddhist heeds the rules of their religion just as poorly as your average Christian does.

Why is that surprising? It means that Buddhism is made up of people, just like Christianity (and Hinduism, Judaism, Islam, etc.). I think it would be much more surprising if there were a religion that was made up entirely of people who followed all of the rules!

Why is that surprising? It means that Buddhism is made up of people, just like Christianity (and Hinduism, Judaism, Islam, etc.). I think it would be much more surprising if there were a religion that was made up entirely of people who followed all of the rules!

I guess I find it surprising because I see all these spirit houses and Thais always wai-ing whenever they walk by a buddhist image, so I figured that perhaps they were a little more sincere in their religious practice.

It still seems like an amazing amount of booze being consumed. If you generously allow an average of 4 baht a bottle increase (since brandy went up considerably more) that would equate to about (25 x 70 billion) or 1,750,000,000 (1.75 trillion bottles of booze). That can't be right, can it? Either my math must be screwed up or the figure quoted in the news article.

And your absolutely right about your last statement. LOL

I guess I find it surprising because I see all these spirit houses and Thais always wai-ing whenever they walk by a buddhist image, so I figured that perhaps they were a little more sincere in their religious practice.

It still seems like an amazing amount of booze being consumed. If you generously allow an average of 4 baht a bottle increase (since brandy went up considerably more) that would equate to about (25 x 70 billion) or 1,750,000,000 (1.75 trillion bottles of booze). That can't be right, can it? Either my math must be screwed up or the figure quoted in the news article.

And your absolutely right about your last statement. LOL

Indeed your math is screwed and not only a little bit.To generate 70 billion at 4 baht a bottle you need to sell 17.5 billion bottles not 1.75 trillion.