Tt&t Crapped Out Again

raro

Came home last night at around nine pm, no internet. Called the call center, the wiz kids on the other side blamed it on me as usual, denied that pinging their DNS server doesn't work ("we can see that you are online, so you have no prolem") and so on. Upon questioning they have no clue what DNS, SMTP, whatever servers are. Not that I am surprised.

After an hour internet resumes without changing anything in here. They celebrate it as a success of their great help at the call center...

Today at first interenet craps out bit by bit. eventually I can still ping their DNS but pinging anything else nada. Note to self: switch to Open DNS for <deleted>'s sake!! Call Center not reachable. Called a friend down the road, same problem, same provider.

Internet resumed just now.

Two weeks ago, they blocked any SMTP servers outside Thailand on Maxnet Indy. Could not reach my corporate SMTP server in Singapore for to days until the paperwork for upgrading to Premier was done. Working out of the office was no option, as TOT wasn't able to provide any interent connection whatsoever for two days.

Anybody else? I am ready to pay them a visit in Bangkok, if someone wants to join, be my guest. Would be great fun entering their Executive floor with some upset Pattayans.... :) ...what shirt colour will we chose for The People's Front for Democracy, Internet, educated Call Center Staff and Free Drinks after business hours?

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Why not switch to a CAT Telecom internet package? I actually have B-TV's cable internet, which I understand is basically a re-packaged CAT internet service run through their cable lines. Speed is more or less constant 200 kBs and only drops-out a few times a day and usually just to re-connect to the network. On a few occasions, I have had no connection for a few hours but never anything over that.

CAT has been doing allot of work around lately and there should be nice new lines available in many areas.

Mine is zooming along just nicely, but indeed TT&T's DNS servers seem to have serious issues.

Settings in my router will send any DNS request straight of to openDNS, much more stable...

I live in the same area as Raro and had no problems with TT&T internet access yesterday. It was down for about half an hour around 11 this morning but since then it's been ok. Don't know about their DNS servers, have been using OpenDNS for yonks.

Had been having lots of connection problems using Maxnet until I changed to static DNS - as per the ones "monty" posted in a thread a couple of years ago :) And yes, no connection for an hour or so this morning. Also connections were erratic yesterday but not to the extent "raro" described.

-redwood

Edited by redwood13

Last nite around 11pm, internet down, this am internet (maxnet, down telephhone dead, this afternoon electricity also goes out.

I have a fit.

Lights now on, phone works, maxnet works but slow.

Is Singapore a civilized country?

kdf

Got a phone call from a TT&T engineer yesterday who was a bit more knowledgeable than the rest.

He admitted that Friday night their log-in server was down. NB: The Call Center was on Friday night in total denial that there are any issues on their side and wanted me to go through the restart the router routine again and again - which I did anyways before calling them.

He further gave me an advanced warning that there will be more servers ups-and-downs in the forthcoming week due to maintenance. I'm not an expert, but why does maintenance affect the internet availability?

CAT: Is that the one that comes with cable TV? Problem here is, I do not have cable TV as I didn't watch any TV in....more than 15 years.

Open DNS is set up in the router now...things can only get better!

/edit: just realized, I was on Open DNS already...

Edited by raro

Guys I have done a search to try and find the previous posts on setting DNS when using Maxnet and cant seem to find one. Could someone please help on how to set an Open DNS as my maxnet keeps dropping out as well.

OK think I have it sorted now

Edited by RabC

He admitted that Friday night their log-in server was down

They've had that problem before. Radius server down, so no internet connectivity.

Actually you should end up being redirected to a page telling you have no access and most likely didn't pay your bill or something...

I've had a few little connectivity problems, but nothing longer then a few minutes. Then again, I'm not online 24/7 so might easily have missed a 1 hour outage.

To Thai standards, I'd call my connection rock stable.

In the West it would still only be a "mediocre", but hey, the weather is better over here :)

He admitted that Friday night their log-in server was down

They've had that problem before. Radius server down, so no internet connectivity.

Actually you should end up being redirected to a page telling you have no access and most likely didn't pay your bill or something...

I've had a few little connectivity problems, but nothing longer then a few minutes. Then again, I'm not online 24/7 so might easily have missed a 1 hour outage.

To Thai standards, I'd call my connection rock stable.

In the West it would still only be a "mediocre", but hey, the weather is better over here :)

agree...the only thing is...it always happens (as in case of this Friday) when you have to send that urgent mail WITH attachments to your German office who needs that info BEFORE 5 pm his time to respond to a key account customer...

I would never rely on one internet service if I had a business to run that depended on the internet.

Even if TT&T doesn't go down, the phone line may well crash. The rainy season is coming and anything can, and probably will happen.

You should get a back up service. Why Not use AIS or DTAC GPRS/Edge service? Very cheap, pay as you use, and although a bit slow, will do the job in an emergency. Just need to buy an air card.

I would never rely on one internet service if I had a business to run that depended on the internet.

Even if TT&T doesn't go down, the phone line may well crash. The rainy season is coming and anything can, and probably will happen.

You should get a back up service. Why Not use AIS or DTAC GPRS/Edge service? Very cheap, pay as you use, and although a bit slow, will do the job in an emergency. Just need to buy an air card.

that's what I actually do, GPRS. As for the ISP I cannot chose as I live in TT&T territory. At the office I have TOT which also has much room for improvement...

- [quote name='raro' post='2724573' date='2009-05-10 15:48:00

As for the ISP I cannot chose as I live in TT&T territory.

Me too, but for the past 3 years I have been using IPSTAR at 4,300/month.

I have finally thrown int the towel and signed up for TT@T. It can't be much worse, and at least I save over 3k/month.

No doubt I shall find out soon enough. :)

Edited by Mobi

Me too, but for the past 3 years I have been using IPSTAR at 4,300/month.

I have finally thrown int the towel and signed up for TT@T. It can't be much worse, and at least I save over 3k/month.

B-TV Cable...B2000 per month...fast...stable...all you can eat :)

B-TV Cable...B2000 per month...fast...stable...all you can eat :)

Signed up about nine months ago. Remind them every 3 months or so. Every time they tell me that they will be over in a couple of days. Still waiting.....

Patience is the key word when dealing with TOT or TT&T.Some self help tips to improve your Web life.

Check your home phone wiring:

It’s amazing how many homes/apartments have bad internal phone connections.

If possible use the thick black twin wire direct to your internet/ADSL splitter.

Hardware:

Use a quality ADSL splitter from ALL phone connections.

Check your ADSL modem/router settings. Never use hardware provided by TOT or TT&T as their default settings choke your connection speeds. I use a D-Link modem/router.

Software:

If you are using Win XP Service Pack 2 or above, download “EvID4226Patch223d-en.zip” from this site:

http://lvllord.de/?lang=en&url=downloads

This will increase your half-open TCP connection limit from 10 to 50.

NOTE: Some AntiVir Software vendors added the patcher into their virus-definitions. The patcher is often detected as 'Tool/EvID'. The patcher is NO VIRUS.

If you wish you can set up a “Static IP Address”.

Visit this site for Router/Modem specific instructions.

http://www.portforward.com/networking/staticip.htm

DNS Addresses:

TT&T Primary DNS: 202.69.137.137 

TT&T Secondary DNS: 202.69.137.138

TOT Primary DNS: Supercyber/Silvercyber = 203.113.24.199 (Goldcyber = 202.47.249.4)

TOT Secondary DNS: Supercyber/Silvercyber = 203.113.127.199 (Goldcyber = 02.129.27.135)

Lastly, I turn off my modem/router at least once a day for at least 15 minutes which ensures that the router resets itself to the saved settings. I have also noted that after an internet outage the only way to reconnect at decent speeds is to power off the modem/router, restart the PC (not always necessary) and then power on the modem/router again and wait for it to establish a stable DSL link.

Maybe these tips will help resolve some problems. Oh! Don’t get mad with the service staff. It never helps.

DNS Addresses:

TOT Primary DNS: Supercyber/Silvercyber = 203.113.24.199 (Goldcyber = 202.47.249.4)

TOT Secondary DNS: Supercyber/Silvercyber = 203.113.127.199 (Goldcyber = 02.129.27.135)

Forget about these - DNS provided by Thai providers is notoriously flaky. Use OpenDNS instead - details at www.opendns.com

DNS Addresses:

Forget about these - DNS provided by Thai providers is notoriously flaky. Use OpenDNS instead - details at www.opendns.com

Fully agree here! Also D-Link I do not value as a prime brand. I have a S-Link in the office and a Belkin at home. The Belkin - although also not a top-line product - needs far less resets than the D-Link does.

I am with you what the wiring is concerned. In my early ADSL days I had numerous disconnections due to bad wires. After rewiring this improved significantly!

DNS Addresses:

To set up a "Static IP Addresss" you must provide the correct ISP DNS adresses.

I've been using Torrents for many years and many private trackers and client programs demand a "Static IP Adress" for complete connection compliance. Thus the tip for those who use Torrents.

Edited by Katoey

Been on TT&T for 4 Years now service has been very good overall. Then the last few days very bad.

TT&T first suplied a billion 5102S router when it connects my attenuation is 50db down and 35 up.

Service 2500 500. SNR down 6 up 18

Changed to HAAWEI Smartatx MT880

Attenuation down 45 DB up 30DB

Service 4000 500 SNR DOWN 6.5 up 18

CHANGED ADSL TO MULTIMODE.

NOW LOGS ON USING G.dmt

Attenuation Down 42 DB up 21

Service 4500 500 SNR 10 Down 22 UP.

Connection now very stable and just befroe it drops out it reconnects automatically.

If I connect using adsl2 or adsl2+ the connection is very un stable. I hope this may help some body.

You don't need a static IP for Torrents. You won't get a Static IP just by using a DNS server from a provider. I think you misunderstood something.

I have Maxet 2MB Premier since about 6 months, usually no problems, but during this week several times up to 6 hours a day no Internet. I have just signed up for TRUE 8MB Internet for 1,190 Baht/month (if you have a TRUE SiM card). They said they would come and connect me tomorrow Sunday. I'll let you know how the service is.

We were offilne for a few days this month too (2 days about 1-2 weeks ago, and 2 days a couple of days ago)

Both times Maxnet said there was no problem with them and that the problem was at our end. Seems they prefer to blame it on the customer :)

First time the problem was that all our User ID and password info had been removed from their system, 2nd time the guy couldn't find the problem so left us with no internet (after using our toilet and absolutely stinking our house out) and said he would check the 'plug' .. A couple of hours later it came on.. Must have been a problem at their end. Both times I was out of internet just after a rain storm.

As I said before, beware when you're letting one of Maxnet's guys use your bathroom, I don't know what he did in there but there was a VILE smell which I couldn't get out of my house for a couple of days. :D :D

Edited by Meg_2003

DNS Addresses:

Thanks Phil,

the open dns link is the <deleted>!!!!!!! my connection via phone modem is way better!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Thanks again!

Barry :)

DNS Addresses:

Thanks Phil,

the open dns link is the <deleted>!!!!!!! my connection via phone modem is way better!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Thanks again!

Barry :)

Shat is "<deleted>" about it? There have been reports that TT&T Maxnet's cheap domestic usage package (can't remember the name) blocks access to external DNS, maybe that's your problem. Works fine for me and many others here... Besides, changing DNS doesn't change your line, has nothing to do with using a phone modem.

Edited by Phil Conners