Current Gbp To Thb Rate In Pattaya

minders91

Hi Everyone, I visit Pattaya 2-3 times a year and am now taking a hit (like most tourists) with the weak pound. The BBC Business website says todays current rate is 53.0006THB to the GBP. What are the general rates on offer at the various exchange venues in Pattaya? Does it more-or-less match this? It would be useful for my budgeting! I see Travelex are offering 46.88THB which is lousy.

Also, is there a very good place to change money, a kiosk which is usually offering above the norm?

Thanks for any comments and have a great day in LOS.

Hi Everyone, I visit Pattaya 2-3 times a year and am now taking a hit (like most tourists) with the weak pound. The BBC Business website says todays current rate is 53.0006THB to the GBP. What are the general rates on offer at the various exchange venues in Pattaya? Does it more-or-less match this? It would be useful for my budgeting! I see Travelex are offering 46.88THB which is lousy.

Also, is there a very good place to change money, a kiosk which is usually offering above the norm?

Thanks for any comments and have a great day in LOS.

You can always get a good idea about rates by looking at Bank of Bankok rates:-

http://www.bangkokbank.com/Bangkok+Bank/We...es/FX+Rates.htm

You want the buying rates for notes.

The best rates in Jomtien are in soi 5 Jomtien near the Thai Immigration.

You need to keep an eye on the rate as it is very volutile at the moment. Always best to bring large denomination travellers sterling cheques with you.(£100 best as a standard charge of 30b per chq applies)

Hopes this helps you.

The place i use that has consistently higher rates than most other places is just past Pattayalandsoi II going in the direction of Walking Street. Its yellow and white sinage, and its called TT Travel. It has the rates printed on A4 sized posters and stuck to the inside of the glass, so you cant miss it

There is also another booth from the same company on Second Road, in almost identical position.........that is just past Pattayualandsoi II going in the direction of Walking Street (if that makes sense lol!!!!)

People talk about a shop opposite Soi Diamond thats called Super T, but i have found these to offer a slightly lower rate then the 2 i mentioned earlier, PLUS you dont take your life in your hands crossing Second Road to get to them !!!!! :)

HTH

Penkoprod

Edited by Penkoprod

Travelex is probably worst way to change money, never change your money in the UK the rates are a joke daylight robbery, you do not need Thai Bahts until you get through customs on arrival, there are many places to change money and ATMs before and after you exit customs on arrival 24/7, for a guide to rates I use Siam Commercial Banks Exchange rates which can be found on-line at http://www.scb.co.th/exchange/bk-txtexchange.htm todays posted rates are as at "close of business" on Thursday as yesterday was a holiday.

post-20091-1241869816_thumb.jpg

• For GBP (£) if you go down to any SCB bank or exchange booth and hand over “bank of England” bank notes you should get 53.38 per £1, No Commission Charge.
  • If you have travellers cheques you should get £51.96, but there is a small tax (stamp duty) to be paid (13THB each cheque).
  • A note on exchange booths, these are attached to banks, in tourist locations and shopping malls and normally open late at night, also open weekends and holidays.

For ATM:

• ATM rates are “Interbank” rates which are not loaded, ie you would get the same if you changed GBP to THB or THB to GBP, this rate is constantly changing so even if you checked the rate before you used an ATM by the time you transaction was processed a few hours or even days later the rate would have changed.
  • For VISA card holders the following link is for VISA current exchange rate calculator http://www.corporate.visa.com/pd/consumer_...er_ex_rates.jsp.
    post-20091-1241869861_thumb.jpg
  • Individual card holders own bank can load these rates as indeed my own bank (the Nationwide) is doing as from this month and will be loading all transactions outside Europe by 1% next month.
  • Individual card holders own bank may also load Foreign exchange transactions with fixed fees as well.
  • The drawing bank (the bank that owns the ATM), most banks (except Kasikorn Bank) in Thailand have recently introduced a 150THB charge on every transaction, a few days ago the Government of Thailand called on banks to reduce this charge, case of “watch this space”.
  • Another issue with ATM is the “cash advance fee ”levied on Credit Cards” by the issuing bank.

Edited by Basil B

Travelex is probably worst way to change money, never change your money in the UK the rates are a joke daylight robbery, you do not need Thai Bahts until you get through customs on arrival, there are many places to change money and ATMs before and after you exit customs on arrival 24/7, for a guide to rates I use Siam Commercial Banks Exchange rates which can be found on-line at http://www.scb.co.th/exchange/bk-txtexchange.htm todays posted rates are as at "close of business" on Thursday as yesterday was a holiday.

• For GBP (£) if you go down to any SCB bank or exchange booth and hand over "bank of England" bank notes you should get 53.38 per £1, No Commission Charge.
  • If you have travellers cheques you should get £51.96, but there is a small tax (stamp duty) to be paid (13THB each cheque).
  • A note on exchange booths, these are attached to banks, in tourist locations and shopping malls and normally open late at night, also open weekends and holidays.

I think you might have got your sterling cash rate mixed up with the buying rate instead of the selling rate which is 51.38bt for £1

53.54bt is what you pay to buy a £1.

Travellers cheques always offer a better rate than cash.

• For GBP (£) if you go down to any SCB bank or exchange booth and hand over "bank of England" bank notes you should get 53.38 per £1, No Commission Charge.

I think you might have got your sterling cash rate mixed up with the buying rate instead of the selling rate which is 51.38bt for £1

53.54bt is what you pay to buy a £1.

Travellers cheques always offer a better rate than cash.

I normally find SCB to be one of the worst exchange rates