Ilr Uk Expired, But Has Uk Passport - Help

My wife lived in England for 10 years. First she had an Indefinate Right to Remain visa stamped in her Thai Passport and then she was granted a UK Passport.

She returned to Thailand with me over two years ago. She used her Thai passport to enter Thailand so that she had no visa problems.

Now she wants to go back to the UK but since she arrived here here Thai passport expired and she was granted a new one. I know at the airport she could show her old passport with the visa stamp and the letter from the UK Home office granting the ILR But because she has been heere more than 2 years the ILR has now expired and the immigration here may know that she cannot enter the UK on that visa so may not let her leave the country.

If she tries to leave on her UK passport they will see she has no entry stamp into Thailand and that will cause lots of problems.

If she shows both Thai and UK passports what would happen because Thai's are not allowed Dual Nationality, unless of course your name is Thaksin.

Has any one been in this position before or does anyone know what would be the best thing for her to do.

Thanks in Advance

Chris

I guess the easiest way will be to leave thailand for a neighbouring country on her thai passport and then re-enter thailand with her uk passport.

I thought with dual nationality you had to enter the counry with the passport of that country if you hold one.

oops. Just re read. Thais not allowed dual nat.

Edited by spacefruit

I guess the easiest way will be to leave thailand for a neighbouring country on her thai passport and then re-enter thailand with her uk passport.

yes your quite correct mate all they have to do is go over the closest border then re enter on her british passport, head to bangkok and leave she wont get a problem. :)

Immigration will only want to see her passport on the way out so she can she leave on her Thai passport. She should also complete a TM card as she leaves.

The airline will need to see some proof she is allowed to enter the UK so she will need to show them the UK passport on check-in but will make sure they know she is flying and leaving Thailand on her Thai passport.

No need for border runs.

Thais are allowed dual nationality!

Her British nationality will not have lapsed; once granted it can only be removed on conviction of a serious criminal offence, treason or terrorism.

She simply does what many Thais, including my wife and daughter, do many times when leaving Thailand for the UK:-

At check in show both passports so the airline know she is legally in Thailand and can enter the UK.

At Thai passport control show Thai passport.

At UK immigration show British passport.

That her British passport does not have a Thai entry or exit stamp in it is irrelevent. UK immigration are not comcerned with where she has been, only that she can legally enter the UK; which her British passport allows her to do.

The fact that hew new Thai passport does not have an ILR stamp in it, and that her ILR has lapsed, is irrelevent. She is a British citizen now with a British passport so can leave the UK as often and for as long as she likes; just like any other British citizen.

That her new Thai passport does not have a Thai entry stamp in it is also irrelevent. Her Thai passport is valid, so she can use that to leave Thailand, whether it be by land, sea or air.

There is absolutely no need for any border runs or other nonsense.

Edited by 7by7

ILR effectively becomes redundant as soon as one acquires British citizenship, because Brit Cits don't require Leave to Remain, Indefinite or otherwise, they have Right of Abode.

There is no endorsement entitling UK residence that UKBA will now put in the foreign passport of anyone who holds a British passport. If they acquire British citizenship they can opt to have a Certificate of Entitlement of Right of Abode in their foreign passport, but that would be cancelled if they were issued with a British passport.

Thanks for the replies. Will try showing both passports as sugested.

Not sure I agree with the post about dual nationality being legal for a Thai. I know the British don't care but the Thai authorities do. The Thai embassy told me my daughter can have both a Thai and UK passport till she is 21 then she must pick which she wants to be. If she picks English then she will loose her Thai nationality.

I think she should just tell them she wants to be Thai. How do they know if she also keeps her British Passport?

Chris

Not sure I agree with the post about dual nationality being legal for a Thai. I know the British don't care but the Thai authorities do. The Thai embassy told me my daughter can have both a Thai and UK passport till she is 21 then she must pick which she wants to be. If she picks English then she will loose her Thai nationality.

You have been misinformed.

As I understand it, a minor child cannot renounce their Thai nationality, but an adult can. Therefore a child who has dual nationality may when they reach 21 (or is it 18?) renounce their Thai nationality if they wish and an adult on being nationalised in another country may also do so. But it is not compulsory and Thai's definitely are allowed dual nationality.

My wife lived in England for 10 years. First she had an Indefinate Right to Remain visa stamped in her Thai Passport and then she was granted a UK Passport.

She returned to Thailand with me over two years ago. She used her Thai passport to enter Thailand so that she had no visa problems.

Now she wants to go back to the UK but since she arrived here here Thai passport expired and she was granted a new one. I know at the airport she could show her old passport with the visa stamp and the letter from the UK Home office granting the ILR But because she has been heere more than 2 years the ILR has now expired and the immigration here may know that she cannot enter the UK on that visa so may not let her leave the country.

If she tries to leave on her UK passport they will see she has no entry stamp into Thailand and that will cause lots of problems.

If she shows both Thai and UK passports what would happen because Thai's are not allowed Dual Nationality, unless of course your name is Thaksin.

Has any one been in this position before or does anyone know what would be the best thing for her to do.

Thanks in Advance

Chris

go to ;loas or cambodia for the day then re enter on her british passport then head for bangkok shes british there will be no problem :)

mikemin

Switching passports at land borders is not permitted. This is a total waste of time and is unnecessary. You are leading the OP up the wrong path.

Follow the advice posted earlier by me and 7by7.

Indeed.

My daughter has dual British and Thai nationality, her boyfriend has dual German and Sri Lankan. Were they to marry (God, don't they grow up fast!) their chidren would be able to claim quadruple nationality.

Some countries do not allow their citizens to have dual nationality; Thailand does.