Herbs On Newborn Baby's Head

Hi,

My wife says that when our baby is born, they will put some herby-paste onto the baby's head, especially where the bones haven't fused yet....

What are the herbs used?

Are there really any benefits to this, or just an old wive's tale?

Any comments welcome. thanks :)

Hi,

My wife says that when our baby is born, they will put some herby-paste onto the baby's head, especially where the bones haven't fused yet....

What are the herbs used?

Are there really any benefits to this, or just an old wive's tale?Any comments welcome. thanks :)

Don't lower yourself to the Thai ways. Of course there's no benefit. I've got 3 children. My wife says it's a very old wives tale that is rarely practiced. I wont say anymore as I may insult your intelligence. Sorry you asked for "any comments".

Hi,

What are the herbs used?

Are there really any benefits to this, or just an old wive's tale?Any comments welcome. thanks :)

Don't lower yourself to the Thai ways. Of course there's no benefit. I've got 3 children. My wife says it's a very old wives tale that is rarely practiced. I wont say anymore as I may insult your intelligence. Sorry you asked for "any comments".

Hi and thanks,

Well, I understand your point of view..... though not sure if I would be lowering myself, as I thought maybe the herbs had immunity-strengthening properties or such...... like ecchinacea does.......

cheers.

This was done to my kids when they were sick (in addition to giving regular medicine), I did not object as no obvious harm done, nor did I consider myself or my kids "lowered" in any way. It apparently, to answer the OP's question, draws out the heat of a fever and cools down the body. But I think it has multiple uses.

This was done to my kids when they were sick (in addition to giving regular medicine), I did not object as no obvious harm done, nor did I consider myself or my kids "lowered" in any way. It apparently, to answer the OP's question, draws out the heat of a fever and cools down the body. But I think it has multiple uses.
Obviously you received a different interpretation of the use of the herbs. My belief is that they put it on to harden up the 2 soft areas on a baby's head called 'Fontanel's'. Any educated farang that believes that this practice is possible with herbs, is lowering himself to medieval Thai practices.

'HarryHerb' the OP was asking about "newborn", not kids. I assume your "kids" are not "newborn".

Edited by coventry

Yes, newborn..... actually, a simple misunderstanding....

So there appears there are two uses for herbs on head.

For kids, drawing out the fever, possibly useful.

For newborns, hardening/fusing the skull bones, possibly useless or not recommended.

Another one I heard was for bringing the 'wind' out of the head........ A Thai explained this to me, and I still can't really figure them out...... but apparently the 'wind' in the head will make babies sick if it is not drawn out...... maybe related to the kids one more than the babies one......

Hmmmm. any more?