Buy A Camera In Canada Or Thailand

scottandjasmine

I spent a lot of time comparing camera gear prices in Canada in February. I found that compared to the U.S., Canadian prices are high, so I found it is cheaper to order from B&H photo in the states. But it isn't a huge savings after tax and exchange and shipping. I also compared the same prices to items for sale in Thailand and I found that occasionally the Thai price was cheaper then the U.S. but often just slightly more expensive. But if you consider you don't have to ship it or carry it here, then the best deal is here. Of course I was mostly comparing lenses so there might be a difference with camera bodies.

Anyhow, pretty much everything photography related can be found here, once you find a good store, so I think you will be happy with a camera bought here.

I reserve the right to be wrong.

Edited by canuckamuck

I find that ordering on-line in Canada to be much cheaper than buying in Thailand (I am talking about ordering in and delivering to Canada). Even after taxes and shipping, it still seems to be at least 15-20% cheaper...

I buy a lot of computer stuff every summer when I go home to Canada, and just bring it along.

Cameras too seem much cheaper. Warranty may or may not be a problem.

I got warranty here in Thailand on a Seagate hard-drive that I bought in Canada.

Good luck

I don't know about prices in Canada, definitely far cheaper (at least 30%) in the US tho. One major difference is online is far cheaper than retail stores in the US, and I haven't found any great online discounters in thailand. But the other factor to consider (maybe I'm being paranoid) is you're less likely to encounter a counterfeit in North America than in Asia.

as an avid photographer and money spender, do NOT wait until you come to Thailand. you will pay more for just about every dam_n item that comes along with being a photographer (amateur or pro) in Thailand.

trust me. end of story. close this thread.

:)

I agree completely with this. I have a lot of cameras and I'm always checking prices. Even buying items in duty free stores is more expensive. On line is cheaper as well if you don't mind buying an expensive item sight unseen. This is true for just about EVERYTHING else as well. I can buy similar quality clothing cheaper in Wallmart in Canada than I can buy in Thailand. The only cost savings in Thailand is in accommodation and dining.

Goes for pretty much any item with the exception of perhaps, rice. But the savings there are marginal anyway.

I recently sent a few 'tea cartons' over from Blighty under the 1 year non-'O' exemption for household goods. They allow 1 piece of major electrical item. No work permit required now either.

I stuffed the lot full and had no import duty to pay. Go steady with this, more luck than judgement.