Flop Signing Of The Year

Sparkles

With the season drawing to a close its maybe time to consider who has been the biggest disapointment. With zillions of quid being spent by clubs it can be a lottery when seemingly good players don't turn up.

I can't seperate Deco and Robinho. Deco has almost disappeared off the radar and I know he has ben injured but prior to that was merely a bench player which I am sure wasn't the intention when he was bought.

Robinho as we know came for the money and will now,possibly, endure another season without European football , Does he care ?, maybe not. I dont think he has the stomach for the rough and tumble of The EPL.Last night he showed just how lazy and uncommitted he can be and nothing it seems Hughes can do about it.

Any more nominations ?

at the risk of doing jockstar's job for him, there's a thread up on this here mate: http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/Worst-Transf...l=worst+signing

FWIW i think it you could probably do one by club. united's is berbatov, liverpool's keane, chelsea either drogba or one of my personal favourites, quaresma.

Quaresma, :) he hasn't even appeared on the radar. Definite flop.

Dave Kitson has got to be one of the poorest buys for Stoke City.No effort and seems like he has been sulking because Tony Pullis wanted hom to work hard and track back,5.55 million down the pan and he hasnt done sweet fa for Reading on loan too.

at the risk of doing jockstar's job for him, there's a thread up on this here mate: http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/Worst-Transf...l=worst+signing

FWIW i think it you could probably do one by club. united's is berbatov, liverpool's keane, chelsea either drogba or one of my personal favourites, quaresma.

You're right he has been so invisible I forgot him. Was he a loan deal ?

Yes, I think loan deal, Mourinhio booted him ou of Inter, and Chelsea ended up with him. :D

Yes, I think loan deal, Mourinhio booted him ou of Inter, and Chelsea ended up with him. :D

Brings new meaning to the term "a bad loan"

Robinho maybe hasn't lived up to expectations, but I dont' understand when everyone says he's a big flop. He has scored 14 goals in the Premier League and is 4th highest scorer. Yes, he has had a drought but that doesn't make him a flop signing, far from it in my opinion. He hasn't been a failure, perhaps just mediocre.

I'd say Deco has been the worst. Is he injured? Haven't noticed him in any Chelsea team in months.

We might call that act "Mourinho's revenge'

Robinho maybe hasn't lived up to expectations, but I dont' understand when everyone says he's a big flop. He has scored 14 goals in the Premier League and is 4th highest scorer. Yes, he has had a drought but that doesn't make him a flop signing, far from it in my opinion. He hasn't been a failure, perhaps just mediocre.

I'd say Deco has been the worst. Is he injured? Haven't noticed him in any Chelsea team in months.

Its not just Robhino's performance on the field that I think has people doubting his value. What other player could go AWOL at least twice during the season to go back to his home country, Brazil, which is not exactly close to Manchester. Hughes appears powerless to come down hard on him as he is the attraction to capture more big signings. I know its been a long time for trophies at City but now they have apparently abandoned their excellent youth policy I guess we will see more mecenaries like Robhino on the horizon

Its not just Robhino's performance on the field that I think has people doubting his value. What other player could go AWOL at least twice during the season to go back to his home country, Brazil, which is not exactly close to Manchester. Hughes appears powerless to come down hard on him as he is the attraction to capture more big signings. I know its been a long time for trophies at City but now they have apparently abandoned their excellent youth policy I guess we will see more mecenaries like Robhino on the horizon

Richards, Onouha, Ireland and SWP all regulars. :D

Michael Johnson has been injured, otherwise he would have been a fifth regular from the youth academy.

Regular appearances by Sturridge and Evans as subs.

Hardly constitutes City 'abandoning their youth policy'.

Robhino was heavily fined/sanctioned by Hughes on the 2nd occasion (he had permission the first time) :D

Next..................... :)

A Goal in more than every 3 Games ( 9 in 29 ), for over 30m GBP does it for me = Berbatov

& i don't think next Year's gonna be any better to be honest..

Robinho for the record is nearly a Goal in every other Game ( 14 in 30 ) & cost 2m more..

Colonchini - most expensive defender signing in the history of Castle.

really? more than the 8.5m they paid for boumsong?

yes this what they have been saying in the papers, don't quote me on the figure but something like 11 or 14 million

Richards, Onouha, Ireland and SWP all regulars. :D

Michael Johnson has been injured, otherwise he would have been a fifth regular from the youth academy.

Regular appearances by Sturridge and Evans as subs.

Hardly constitutes City 'abandoning their youth policy'.

Robhino was heavily fined/sanctioned by Hughes on the 2nd occasion (he had permission the first time) :D

Next..................... :)

I bow to your superior knowledge of the team and guess Joe Hart, touted as the next England goalie a while ago being permanently on the bench is OK ?

If they bring in half the players they are intending to will many of those players still be selected ? I doubt it. I did not see the fig of Robinho's fine but on his wages I would not imagine he would not have lost too much sleep. I think you would agree that owners want results and a passage to Europe if this means the youth policy takes second place so be it. Only time will tell who is correct.

English Angle: Worst Premier League Team Of The Season 2008-09

Second-season slumps, vulnerable veterans and transfer miscalculations; Greg Ptolomey offers his Worst Premier League Team of the Season…

14 May 2009 10:00:52

Goalkeeper

Craig Gordon (Sunderland) A £9 million signing by Roy Keane, Gordon is one of the remnants of the Irishman's lavish transfer market approach. The overspend is brought to clarity when one considers that more trust has been placed in £500,000 man Marton Fulop this season. His ability is not in question – he's forced his way back into the fold on several occasions – but mentally the Scot does not appear to be cut out for the top level.

Defence

Hayden Mullins (Portsmouth) The right-back/holding midfielder has become something of a scapegoat for the Portsmouth fans since arriving from West Ham United in January. Many already felt he was overrated at Upton Park in any case, and the very fact that managerial failure Tony Adams signed him says a lot.

Fabricio Coloccini (Newcastle United) It wouldn't be a Newcastle team without one prolifically error prone defender failing to hold things together. That dubious honour has fallen to Coloccini this term, although the rest of the rearguard are hardly infallible. He was exceptional at Deportivo La Coruna, so he's not a poor player, but he doesn't have the attributes to perform in the Premier League.

Richard Dunne (Manchester City) The stopper was sent off on the last day of last season, leading to a 8-1 thumping at the hands of Middlesbrough. Many wondered if he was the right man to skipper City into a new era, and I don't think he's silenced those doubters. Although he's perpetually been City's Player of the Year in recent times, he now sits uneasily alongside a new breed of Citizen.

Mikael Silvestre (Arsenal) What looked like a reasonably sensible squad signing on paper was exposed as folly as injuries hit the Gunners' defensive pool. Former Manchester United back-up player Silvestre wound up playing in some massive games, and made some massive errors. The north London side needed a cool veteran head, not a headless chicken in the box.

Midfield

Nani (Manchester United) Massive things were expected of the Portuguese starlet after a very promising first season at the Theatre of Dreams. Nani, though, with his poor decision making and his over-the-top dribbling, can only go down as a second-season flop. Next term will be make or break, and I certainly wouldn't put money on him making much headway based on his (albeit infrequent) showings this season.

Deco (Chelsea) - Although it may seem strange to put a world class player into a 'worst' XI, Deco has managed to damage his reputation, perhaps irreparably, at Stamford Bridge. It appears as though he stopped playing as soon as the winter came along, with injuries and reported behind-the-scenes tension cancelling out his stunning start. He'll be mockingly known as Felipe Scolari's golden boy for some time yet; part of a Portuguese-Brazilian revolution that never quite happened.

Nicky Butt (Newcastle United) - Sorry, Newcastle, but it really has been a dismal period in your recent history. A lot of the men in Black & White aren't up to scratch, yet Butt is an experienced player in this league and could have offered much more. His ball retention has been poor, his attacking forays disappointing and his tackling wild at times.

Stewart Downing (Middlesbrough) When you've had a full campaign – playing primarily in an attacking capacity and taking your share of set-pieces – yet register no goals and an assists tally countable on one hand, then you've had a poor season. Downing is likely to leave the Riverside this summer and, in truth, I can't see what reported suitors like Liverpool and Tottenham Hotspur want with him. Aston Villa's Gareth Barry has shown that you don't necessarily have to waste nearly ten months just because you feel you deserve better.

Attack

Ryan Babel (Liverpool) - At 22-years-old I don't think the Dutchman can be classed as as a potential superstar any longer. From where most of us are sitting – be it Anfield or the more peaceful pastures of neutrality – he appears to have failed to make the breakthrough. More grating than anything else is is lack of effort at times, and he generally seems to be regressing.

Roque Santa Cruz (Blackburn Rovers) More second-season blues were to be found at Ewood Park, where the Paraguayan forward clearly didn't want to be. Although he's had injury problems, I'd guess that the Rovers faithful would rather have taken Manchester City's money for him in hindsight.

NOT Included: Dimitar Berbatov (Manchester United) I have a feeling that many would include the Bulgarian in their line-up, but he's too classy to be seen dead here, despite his comical price-tag.

Gordon

Mullins – Dunne – Coloccini – Silvestre

Nani – Butt – Deco – Downing

Santa Cruz – Babel

http://goal.com/en/news/1717/editorial/200...-season-2008-09

not being funny but the quality of writing on that goal.com site is really rubbish isn't it?

yes, but I think it comes from the mainland or belgium so makes sense :)

i did wonder about it being a US thing actually. you can't really include guys like gordon, silvestre, mullins, downing, babel and santa cruz in a 'flops' XI because there have been plenty players in their positions who were worse than them or they've been injured / not played enough to qualify.

With the season drawing to a close its maybe time to consider who has been the biggest disapointment. With zillions of quid being spent by clubs it can be a lottery when seemingly good players don't turn up.

I can't seperate Deco and Robinho. Deco has almost disappeared off the radar and I know he has ben injured but prior to that was merely a bench player which I am sure wasn't the intention when he was bought.

Robinho as we know came for the money and will now,possibly, endure another season without European football , Does he care ?, maybe not. I dont think he has the stomach for the rough and tumble of The EPL.Last night he showed just how lazy and uncommitted he can be and nothing it seems Hughes can do about it.

Any more nominations ?

Its got 2 b David Bentley what a walley. but i half 4give him as he scored a belter against Arsenal :)