Nice Cities Around Chiang Mai

st11x

G'day,

Recently I finally had the chance to go see the greater surrounds of Chiang Mai owing to the need to do a visa run. Running through towns and cities, most of them looked alike. The usual sandy main street running through the town and everybody selling every useless thing by the side of the road.

And as it was on a Sunday, you cannot make through a minor road without encountering yet another market. I was surprised to see a road hogging market on route 121 towards Hang Dong, and that is no small road.

That said, some parts of Lamphun looked a little different, especially around the moat area.

Are there any city around Chiang Mai that is more unique than others?

Matt

Not sure how far you want to go but I find Lampang and its surrounds an interesting place. Bit laid back and nice scenery around it and some different temple styles.

you can't really have somewhere more unique than another place. Its either unique or it isn't. then again as you started your post with G'Day you're probably Australian which excuses you.

Unique in the north? I like Phayao. Phayao Lake (Kwan Phayao) may be man made, but it has turned the waterfront into a rather pleasant corniche with some nice little seafood restaurants and friendly bars. Hotels are cheap, there are some good knocking shops behind the bus station and good transport links from Changers

Thanks for the suggestions. I will look into them when I next have a car.

I have heard about Mae Hong Son during my riding days, the famous/infamous thousand corners but I have never been there.

No millwall_fan, I am no Aussie. I just live there for a couple of years and picked up their nice greeting ;-)

Matt

Nan is my favorite place to be in the North. As an avid motorcyclist, the roads can't be beat. Nice people. Nice temples. Not too many farang. I can see moving there at some point.

G'day,

Recently I finally had the chance to go see the greater surrounds of Chiang Mai owing to the need to do a visa run. Running through towns and cities, most of them looked alike. The usual sandy main street running through the town and everybody selling every useless thing by the side of the road.

And as it was on a Sunday, you cannot make through a minor road without encountering yet another market. I was surprised to see a road hogging market on route 121 towards Hang Dong, and that is no small road.

That said, some parts of Lamphun looked a little different, especially around the moat area.

Matt

I think you've scored a good double whammy here.

One thing that makes CM so special is that there are NOT many interesting towns anywhere near it. Pai is special but I wouldn't call it a town. More a very large village. Ditto Chang Dao.

But with Lamphun you have hit the nail on the head. TWICE as old as Chiang Mai, fascinating places (Wat Haripunchai, Khu Chang - burial place of the famous war elephant with green tusks, the little museum and - weekday office hours- the nice helpful ladies at the tessabarn with passable English).

Very clean, Very quiet (they don't allow tuk tuks or street dogs) and Very good value. Downsides? Only one nice air-con restaurant I've found (Lamphun Ice, opposite the main entrance to Harry Punchai's temple) and no night life. But that's what brings you back to good ole Chiang Mai, huh?

No nightlife.. Really? I'd love to do a Lamphun bar-crawl.. Should be awesome, visiting all the little bars and karaokes.. Would be better in a group.. Anyone interested..? if anything it should be more exciting than some Chiang Mai's pubs.......

My favorite city in the north is Chiang Dao. Only an hours drive too.

The Chiang Dao cave is nice and the sights are beautiful.

I agree, and I feel that Chiang Dao is nice too because of the sidetracked road most cars now take, avoiding downtown Chiang Dao, leaving it alone.

• 4 weeks later...

No, Chang Phuak only has buses within Chiang Mai province, so for example to Chinag Dao, Fang and Tha Ton. To go to Phayao you go to the main Arcade bus station.

I wonder actually if it wouldn't be faster to take a bus to Lampang first and then on to Phayao. (Or Chiang Rai, which stops in Phayao)

Some of my favorite places in Thailand are in the north. Have you explored Lamphun, Lampang, Phrae, and Nan? There's also Phayao. The highway from Chiang Mai to Lampang and on to Nan is lovely. Each of those little cities has some good hotels, although not familiar with hotels in Phayao. Once in each of those little cities, there's lots to explore, and how far afield you go is up to your curiosity.

The most unique community (definitely not a city!) that I have been to in the North is Mae Salong. It's a mountain village settled by members of the Chinese KMT Army that were not welcome back in China anymore back in 1959 or so. Mandarin is still spoken on the streets, and the Yunan style food is delicious. This place did not have paved road access until about a decade ago so its original character is quite well maintained. We were wandering around one cold night (4 degrees C) when an old man offered us his warming fire to warm up a bit. He was 79 and from China, and really loved Thailand and his simple way of life up there. Granted, this is a long ways from Chiang Mai, but worth a visit in my book.

post-498-1244426924_thumb.jpg post-498-1244426958_thumb.jpg

I'd probably call Phrae a city too, simply because it's very old and looks like it with the moat and walls and all. (So in fairness Lamphun would then also qualify)

Lampang just grew very big because the roads it's on. The historical center is tiny. (Never been a big fan of the place, or of Chiang Rai for that matter)

Edited by WinnieTheKhwai

We spent a recent holiday weekend in Tha Ton. Long way, right on Myanmar border, not even a 7-11. North of Fang and Chai Prakan, out beyond where Buddha lost his sandals.

agreed about tha ton, lovely little place. also went to om koi recently, around 180km south of chiang mai, and that too was beautiful.

We spent a recent holiday weekend in Tha Ton. Long way, right on Myanmar border, not even a 7-11. North of Fang and Chai Prakan, out beyond where Buddha lost his sandals.

They even have IN THE RIVER cafes there! Heck with that riverside stuff. The photo below is not due to flooding, but one of several venues where you can dine in the water.

post-498-1244442405_thumb.jpg

Chiang Rai and maybe Lampang are the only places that I would call "cities" in this area outside of Chiang Mai. The rest are all "towns" - at best. :D

If a place has a road sign saying "City Limit reduce speed" then it must be a city IMHO :)

The most unique community (definitely not a city!) that I have been to in the North is Mae Salong. It's a mountain village settled by members of the Chinese KMT Army that were not welcome back in China anymore back in 1959 or so. Mandarin is still spoken on the streets, and the Yunan style food is delicious. This place did not have paved road access until about a decade ago so its original character is quite well maintained. We were wandering around one cold night (4 degrees C) when an old man offered us his warming fire to warm up a bit. He was 79 and from China, and really loved Thailand and his simple way of life up there. Granted, this is a long ways from Chiang Mai, but worth a visit in my book.

post-498-1244426924_thumb.jpg post-498-1244426958_thumb.jpg

I love Mae Salong as well, like a little piece of China transplanted into Thailand.

Chiang Dao comes a close second.