Nice Cities Around Chiang Mai

st11x

T_Dog, was the photo taken from Home Garden Resort?

Not sure as I am not familiar with that resort. This pic is just upstream from the bridge. I THINK the Home Garden is a bit further upstream if I am not mistaken. Nice little diversion on a hot day!

Edited by T_Dog

Personally, I found Mae Hon Son extreemly dull, Pai may have attracted the crowds before, but I couldn't really see it's attraction. Alledgedly bohemien but something was missing.

Chiang Rai's quite pretty and a great base for exploring further up North, eg Mae Salong,(don't forget big bags of tea for a few baht) Mae Sai (shopping)Chiang Saen and Golden Triangle. There's also a wide selection of hotels in Chiang Rai suited to most budgets and loadsa restaurants (compared to other towns) aimed at foreigners if that's a requirement.

Regards Bojo

Sounds like most of you guys are almost recommending "any other" city / town in North Thailand.

So far the list goes

Chiang Dao

Tha Ton

Doi Mae Salong

Chiang Saen

Phayao

Nan

Phrae

Lampang

Phayao

Mae Hong Son

Lamphun

The fact is Chiang Mai is smack bang in the middle of North Thailand’s great road network with roads leading everywhere.

There are more loops & overnight trips to do than you can poke a stick at.

Have a good experience in any town, & it’s almost impossible not have a good experience, and then you will probably rave about the place to give it your vote.

Personally I think they are all good. Some of them are quieter than others, more cultural & lacking in night life (but they’ve all got knocking shops if you suffer from tunnel vision & are only seeking the seedy side of life.)

If you don’t get out & about much, then you’re missing out. You can get anywhere in North Thailand in a day. So start checking out the North with regular overnight trips. Make yourself a hit list of towns & work your way through the list. Enjoy them all – I do. (Just use a GT Rider guide map & you can’t go wrong :) )

Just in from an overnighter in Phayao with the girlfriend. Left Chiang Mai at 2.30 PM yesterday. Reached Phayao at 5PM. Cruised the lake. Checked into the Phu Tong Place hotel for 400 baht. Showered & went back to the lake for the night. Ate at the Chaliang (but I prefer the Nong Ang) , drank at the Lake View Pub & Restaurant (great smooth jazzy band)

300031339_gm8iz-S.jpg

then finished up at the Krua Thep. Bed at midnight. Up at midday & back in Chiang Mai at 3.30PM ready for the girlfriend to work ‘n sing at Tawandaeng.

Phayao by the lake is an excellent overnight trip for gaining brownie points guys. Give it a try.

Here’s a few pix to maybe interest you in Phayao.

The view from the sala view on R120 yesterday. Heavy overcast but no rain

557949973_XJdW5-M.jpg

The girlfriend at the viewpoint

557950543_ewR7M-S.jpg

Route 120 a good road surface & fabulous riding / driving road

557950667_aFVkH-S.jpg

Phayao lake yesterday

557950303_9vD5K-S.jpg

557950946_jKWG7-S.jpg

Phayao lake from other trips

557951229_E2WSj-S.jpg

557951212_jibLj-S.jpg

557951323_RoGyv-S.jpg

557949958_YHSku-S.jpg

Do yourself a favour & make Phayao a favourite over night trip from Chiang Mai (or wherever).

Route 120 returning in the rain, today

557951125_B22Uc-S.jpg

Check out GT Rider here if you want to see hundreds of photos from trips & places around North Thailand.

David GTR said.....

"The fact is Chiang Mai is smack bang in the middle of North Thailand’s great road network with roads leading everywhere.

There are more loops & overnight trips to do than you can poke a stick at. " which is spot on. The OP asked for unique places and he is getting a lot of suggestions. Seems like any direction you head from CM, you can find something interesting. Hopefully the OP got some ideas on where to poke his stick at!