Pattaya Is Dead Dead Dead

MeetJohnDoe

Is it really that quiet during this lowseason ?

For me it doesnt really matter, lowseason or highseason - i like them both.....

Was in Pattaya for a few weeks during songkhran and to me it felt like it was "worse" than earlier years, more people and even better than expected :) ....maybe just imagination or ?

No matter what i will be back in october and i guess we´ll see then!!

• Replies 535
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I am looking and thinking about changes that have taken place since 1986, not since 2006.

I'm well aware of this. You yearn for a long forgotten 1986 version of Pattaya. I'm sure there are people who yearn for the 1960's version of Pattaya too, when it was still just a fishing village.

I'm comparing the 2009 version of Pattaya with my first impressions in 2005. I liked the 2005 version enough to move here. Since then the place has not deteriorated as far as my lifestyle is concerned. People will always find things to complain about, but overall everything is just fine.

PS. My landlord is British.

Was in Pattaya for a few weeks during songkhran and to me it felt like it was "worse" than earlier years, more people and even better than expected :) ....maybe just imagination or ?

That's because 99.9% of the Songkran revellers are Thai. Contrary to the perception one may get from reading about Pattaya being dead, most of the populatioin of Pattaya are Thai and they are here to stay. The population of Pattaya doesn't change much from high to low season.

That's because 99.9% of the Songkran revellers are Thai. Contrary to the perception one may get from reading about Pattaya being dead, most of the populatioin of Pattaya are Thai and they are here to stay. The population of Pattaya doesn't change much from high to low season.

Just the income level.

I am looking and thinking about changes that have taken place since 1986, not since 2006.

I'm well aware of this. You yearn for a long forgotten 1986 version of Pattaya. I'm sure there are people who yearn for the 1960's version of Pattaya too, when it was still just a fishing village.

I'm comparing the 2009 version of Pattaya with my first impressions in 2005. I liked the 2005 version enough to move here. Since then the place has not deteriorated as far as my lifestyle is concerned. People will always find things to complain about, but overall everything is just fine.

PS. My landlord is British.

If my first visit to Pattaya had been in 2005, I would not have stayed! this is when the town started to go to Siht IMHO. Was this when it started attracting a different type of person? :):D

Unfortunately moving elsewhere isn't quite as easy as some posters make out, many of us have invested a lot of money in Pattaya :D

Every year since web boards started the how low can the low season get posts start. :D

Compared to its couple of good years Pattaya in some areas is quieter, but the area as a whole is still busy, 6 or 7 years ago Sukhumvit Road was dead in the afternoons, now its rarely quite, a lot more "locals" live here now, quite what supports them i dont know? :D

OK was there on my monthly visit last Saturday and Sunday. Wow. Walking street Saturday night?

More like Sitting Street!(was everyone sitting somewhere?) - even the tourist police looked bored!

There were 10 lady boys for every farang. I could go on but you get the drift.

Jomtien was well, where was everyone?

The Bookazine on soi 4 in jomtien had closed. Now there is a bar which was closed when I was there.

All the bars on soi 4 and 5 and even the cheap charlie Thai eatery in front of the 7-11 was almost desertedat lunch. Normally it is packed almost always.

The beach had about one falang for every 100 Thais I would say.

HOWEVER. Was this worse than previous low seasons? It certainly felt that way. Though I have been living here only slightly more than one year.

^ I lived in Jomtien 6-7 years ago, way back then! it was dead everyday, apart from weekends and holidays when Bangkok Thai's would arrive.

The Vast majority of the business have opened in the last few years based on unrealistic, unplanned, greedy growth.

They have tried to attract every nationality under the sun, but few want to sit by a very busy road, listening to unnecessarily noisy traffic, being pestered by hawkers when they are eating, even fewer want to sit on a polluted beach.

Sure the world is in a downturn, but Thailand can only blame itself for many of its shortcomings!

On top of this, its no longer the cheap place it once was.

The government lives in La La land and has done nothing to help, but then the rich Thai are not suffering :)

^ I lived in Jomtien 6-7 years ago, way back then! it was dead everyday, apart from weekends and holidays when Bangkok Thai's would arrive.

The Vast majority of the business have opened in the last few years based on unrealistic, unplanned, greedy growth.

They have tried to attract every nationality under the sun, but few want to sit by a very busy road, listening to unnecessarily noisy traffic, being pestered by hawkers when they are eating, even fewer want to sit on a polluted beach.

Sure the world is in a downturn, but Thailand can only blame itself for many of its shortcomings!

The government lives in La La land and has done nothing to help, but then the rich Thai are not suffering :)

That last sentence took my mind back to college........history class.......reading about the French Revolution.........something about the peasants finally waking up and taking it out on the ruling class. Anything can happen and often does. :D

Yep, The tourists are voting with their feet (and money) there are more than Pattaya out there, offering better value

I know everyone has said they dont need the tourists, but without them and their money, places will shut down, small bars, small shops will probably be the first, the larger places will try and weather it, but a lot depends on the Thai government to sort out things

It beats me why there arent better hotel deals out there

Some may get their wish for a quieter Pattaya, but what will happen to any shops, stores and bars, I assume you all eat and drink, but then maybe you like an hours drive to go shopping (its happened to villages in the UK, it could happen in Pattaya, but it would take a lot longer than it takes a village in the UK)

Yep, The tourists are voting with their feet (and money) there are more than Pattaya out there, offering better value

I know everyone has said they dont need the tourists, but without them and their money, places will shut down, small bars, small shops will probably be the first, the larger places will try and weather it, but a lot depends on the Thai government to sort out things

Some may get their wish for a quieter Pattaya, but what will happen to any shops, stores and bars, I assume you all eat and drink, but then maybe you like an hours drive to go shopping (its happened to villages in the UK, it could happen in Pattaya, but it would take a lot longer than it takes a village in the UK)

Enough with the melodrama.

Tourists are not voting with their feet (and money) against Pattaya. They're just staying at home because they cannot afford to travel or don't wish to spend their dwindling savings travelling. The drop of many currencies is adding to the problem because the baht has remained strong while other currencies have plummeted.

You talk about better deals than Pattaya. Pattaya is a unique tourist destination. There's no other places to go that are anything like Pattaya. If you think there are, then please be specific.

Some people have been touting Bali, but Bali doesn't hold a candle to Pattaya. It's just plain boring. I've been there twice and would never go back no matter how good a deal they can cut.

You say there aren't better hotel deals in Pattaya. Where are you? Have you been looking? I just heard from an Aussie friend yesterday that one hotel offered him a 70% discount for a month's stay.

..and...If you're into it... the girls are exceptionally friendly right now and fresher than usual.

Tourists are not voting with their feet (and money) against Pattaya. They're just staying at home because they cannot afford to travel or don't wish to spend their dwindling savings travelling. The drop of many currencies is adding to the problem because the baht has remained strong while other currencies have plummeted.

You talk about better deals than Pattaya. Pattaya is a unique tourist destination. There's no other places to go that are anything like Pattaya. If you think there are, then please be specific.

Some people have been touting Bali, but Bali doesn't hold a candle to Pattaya. It's just plain boring. I've been there twice and would never go back no matter how good a deal they can cut.

You say there aren't better hotel deals in Pattaya. Where are you? Have you been looking? I just heard from an Aussie friend yesterday that one hotel offered him a 70% discount for a month's stay.

..and...If you're into it... the girls are exceptionally friendly right now and fresher than usual.

I did look at the hotel deals ealier in the year and thats why I wnt somewhere that offered me a better deal

nope, I take my wife with me, dont need a Thai girl

I wouldnt say its unique, there are crappy beaches anywhere, there is pollution and noisey traffic where ever you want to look, so what would you say is unique about Pattaya ?

The single blokes I work with have said that Thailand isnt as good value that it used to be, now that maybe due to the falling pound, but they havent missed their holiday (and they never would (only got their dicks to look after) and they are still going on holiday

They want more for their money, same as I did,

Not everyone is giving up on their holiday and not everyone is skint over here

I havent seen any good fligt deals and I've looked at the links on TV for hotel deals, I werent impressed

Of course the girls are a lot more friendly, its a dwindling market :)

so what would you say is unique about Pattaya ?

Now you're answering a question with a question.

You've been spending a lot of time posting on a Pattaya forum which means you should be able to answer your own question.

Let me help you. Imagine you are single.

so what would you say is unique about Pattaya ?

Now you're answering a question with a question.

You've been spending a lot of time posting on a Pattaya forum which means you should be able to answer your own question.

Let me help you. Imagine you are single.

I was in Thailand in the 70's, and I had never even heard of Pattaya and I was single,I was a soldier Thailand was a lot different then, I never got to that part of the coast

There was nothing unique about Thailand then and I dont think there is anything unique now, I would say its interesting, but then so are a lot of other places

I asked YOU what YOU thought was unique about Pattaya, in your own opinion :)

I was in Thailand in the 70's, and I had never even heard of Pattaya and I was single,I was a soldier Thailand was a lot different then, I never got to that part of the coast

There was nothing unique about Thailand then and I dont think there is anything unique now, I would say its interesting, but then so are a lot of other places

You still haven't answered the question. Where is there a place like Pattaya?

I really would like to know where I can live the lifestyle I live in Pattaya just in case I need to move. Where are the options? I'm asking you because you seem to know with certaintly (not just opinion), that Pattaya is not unique, so you should have a string of alternatives for me to choose from.

Don't mention China again. That's out of the question. I don't wish to live in a communist country (that also eliminates Laos and Vietnam), nor a muslim country (strike out Malaysia and Indonesia for starters), and not an extremely poor nation without decent infrastructure (I've done the Philippines already). I need a good supply of electricity (not too many brownouts) and reasonable internet connectivity. I need good computer shops with ready access to cheap computer componentry and services. Cheap mobile phone services will be a definite plus. I like to have access to a large selection of imported foods and international restaurants because I have difficulty assimilating native foods for extended periods of time. I like to have supermarkets, restaurants and gyms that are open 24/7 because I'm a nightowl. I need access to good medical facilities and not pay ridiculous prices for medicine.

A vibrant nightlife is a necessity (we won't go into the details here, but diversity and choice is the key).

Don't put me anywhere inland. I want to be near the ocean with beaches and tropical islands on my doorstep. Find a place where I can swim all year long in warm tropical waters. It goes without saying that the climate I require is tropical....no snow or ice please.

A large selection of modern apartments and condominiums of european design is a must and monthly rentals around the 20k mark, preferably with beach views. Transport must be cheap including cheap bikes for sale and rent. 24 modern cinema screens showing English movies would be an advantage and at least one 7 level shopping mall along with at least half a dozen smaller malls.

Please can you come up with at least one alternative to Pattaya? When you've found the perfect alternative, compare cost of living.

This is no joke. I really want to know.

You still haven't answered the question. Where is there a place like Pattaya?

I really would like to know where I can live the lifestyle I live in Pattaya just in case I need to move. Where are the options? I'm asking you because you seem to know with certaintly (not just opinion), that Pattaya is not unique, so you should have a string of alternatives for me to choose from.

Don't mention China again. That's out of the question. I don't wish to live in a communist country (that also eliminates Laos and Vietnam), nor a muslim country (strike out Malaysia and Indonesia for starters), and not an extremely poor nation without decent infrastructure (I've done the Philippines already). I need a good supply of electricity (not too many brownouts) and reasonable internet connectivity. I need good computer shops with ready access to cheap computer componentry and services. Cheap mobile phone services will be a definite plus. I like to have access to a large selection of imported foods and international restaurants because I have difficulty assimilating native foods for extended periods of time. I like to have supermarkets, restaurants and gyms that are open 24/7 because I'm a nightowl. I need access to good medical facilities and not pay ridiculous prices for medicine.

A vibrant nightlife is a necessity (we won't go into the details here, but diversity and choice is the key).

Don't put me anywhere inland. I want to be near the ocean with beaches and tropical islands on my doorstep. Find a place where I can swim all year long in warm tropical waters. It goes without saying that the climate I require is tropical....no snow or ice please.

A large selection of modern apartments and condominiums of european design is a must and monthly rentals around the 20k mark, preferably with beach views. Transport must be cheap including cheap bikes for sale and rent. 24 modern cinema screens showing English movies would be an advantage and at least one 7 level shopping mall along with at least half a dozen smaller malls.

Please can you come up with at least one alternative to Pattaya? When you've found the perfect alternative, compare cost of living.

This is no joke. I really want to know.

Let me try.........Pattaya is unique in terms of its overall "package." Here are things about Pattaya that are not unique:

1) ocean/bay

2) concrete coffins all over (overpriced)

3) bars w/girls

4) Western food

5) lots of expats

6) Malls

You can find all of the aforementioned all over the world.......it is the combination of all of them, plus some type of Carnival Freak Show atmosphere, that is unique.

I lived there for six years and got sick and tired of the place.......but I have to admit there is an "energy" there that you are hard pressed to find in other destinations.

But not all of us grew up in the middle of nowhere in New Zealand talking to sheep.......I am sure if you grew up that way you would find Pattaya stimilating.

Some people enjoy retirement destinations that are less "insane." That is especially true with regard to resident security (both visa/immigration and physical security due to crime).

If hot weather and girls and a bar w/cold beer is what you need to find happiness, you can find that in Panama, the Bahamas, Mexico........Cambodia, Vietnam..........all have these places in abundance.

You can also find a mini-Walking Street in China.....really, no joke. It is just across the border from Macau in Xuhai (spelling?).

Lots of wealthy Chinese retire in this place.......beautiful really with mountains and the ocean and wonderful weather and food......lots of Western food and malls, etc. And very clean/orderly compared to Pattaya.

About China and its political system.........that part is the part I don't like too...........and, unfortunately, Thailand is becoming more and more like China in terms of its "police state mentality." I think if you can't see that, you can't see.

Many of the places I just mentioned are growing because expats want to live there. These are expats that don't want to live in Pattaya.........yes, there are thousands of them.

To each his own........but I truly believe that if you had set foot in Pattaya way back in 1986, you would have a very different perspective and point of view than you currently have.

But not all of us grew up in the middle of nowhere in New Zealand talking to sheep.......I am sure if you grew up that way you would find Pattaya stimilating.

You should stop making insulting assumptions here I a may start being less polite myself.

I lived in Auckland, which is not a sheep farm. I lived in Johannesburg for 6 years and then in Sydney. I've always lived in cities with a population of 1 million or more. I also lived in the biggest tourist resort in Australia for 20 years, so I've had my share of exciting places.

You keep rambing on about the same stuff. I'm not interested in a 1986 Pattaya, I'm happy with the 2009 version. I live in the present, not the past. Something you should try.

Let's leave it as it is - you've made your perspective quite clear by now. You're obviously jaded about Pattaya and don't like Thailand in general. Give us all a break and enjoy your new toilet.

Edited by tropo

You should stop making insulting assumptions here I a may start being less polite myself.

I lived in Auckland, which is not a sheep farm. I lived in Johannesburg for 6 years and then in Sydney. I've always lived in cities with a population of 1 million or more. I also lived in the biggest tourist resort in Australia for 20 years, so I've had my share of exciting places.

You keep rambing on about the same stuff. I'm not interested in a 1986 Pattaya, I'm happy with the 2009 version. I live in the present, not the past. Something you should try.

Let's leave it as it is - you've made your perspective quite clear by now. You're obviously jaded about Pattaya and don't like Thailand in general. Give us all a break and enjoy your new toilet.

Typical response from you. :)

You are spot on, except I don't know anything about Bali.

If they want tourists back, lower the ex rate of the baht. "Free visas" are not going to affect anything. I haven't used a visa for nearly 10 years, and been twice a year. I'm sure most Pattaya visitors are like me.