Renewing Uk Passport

Hi All,

I have 2 current UK passports both of which are nearly full. The one in which I have my O married visa is completely full and the other has two full pages left. I obviously need to renew the one with the O visa, but what if I have to leave the country during that time can I use my other passport or will I lose the O visa. I travel in and out of Thailand frequently due to my work.

Any contructive advice gladly accepted.

Cheers, Rick

You could check with immigration about moving your stamps from one passport to the other. That is the only way I can think of other than to get a new passport. Using 2 passport in your situation can be very complicated. Another option would be to have the full passport canceled and then I don't think you would have a problem getting the stamps transfered to the other.

It takes 10 days to get a new passort.

See this webpage for info: http://ukinthailand.fco.gov.uk/en/passport...ing-in-thailand

Ubonjoe, just reading the link you provided; if I obtain a Non-Imm B visa in the Thai embassy KL for example, will the immigration dept here transfer said visa to a new passport and if so, would a local Immigration office do that, or in Bangkok only?

I have 3 blank pages left but will be looking at a multi-entry non B which will fill up quickly given the size of the stamps/visas here.

Ubonjoe, just reading the link you provided; if I obtain a Non-Imm B visa in the Thai embassy KL for example, will the immigration dept here transfer said visa to a new passport and if so, would a local Immigration office do that, or in Bangkok only?

I have 3 blank pages left but will be looking at a multi-entry non B which will fill up quickly given the size of the stamps/visas here.

Immigration will not transfer a visa over. Only permit to stay and entry stamps or others that they do.

You will have to keep your old passport so that you can show the visa when you enter the country. The visa will remain valid even though the passport is not.

You can get the stamps transfered over at any immigration office.

Immigration will not transfer a visa over. Only permit to stay and entry stamps or others that they do.

You will have to keep your old passport so that you can show the visa when you enter the country. The visa will remain valid even though the passport is not.

You can get the stamps transfered over at any immigration office.

Thanks for the advice Ubonjoe, much appreciated.

Cheers, Rick

Yes, thanks for your advice Ubonjoe.

It maybe be better to get a new passport now, transfer the current stamps at the local immigration office and then go to KL to get the new Non Imm B multi entry. Seems like a more appropriate action do you think?

I have my Non O stamp in one expired passport. Since then I have filled another and am now on a third since getting that Non O. What I have done is just stapled the three passports together and hand all three in when going through any immigration point. All other countries are only interested in the up to date passport whereas Thailand does like to see the extensions and sometimes the Non O stamp. I suppose technically you could get away with your second passport as long as it has the extension/s stamped in it but it's easy enough just to staple the passports together. Nobody has ever said a word and the only downside is that sometimes it takes time when they are looking for a specific stamp.

All you need is your current passport unless you are using a valid visa for entry which is in another passport. If you are on extensions of stay you will be using a re-entry permit for entry - not an old expired visa. Some people would have overweight charges with 3 passports. :)

So if I renew my passport on a trip to The UK, because it's far cheaper to do so, I can use the extension of stay and re-entry permit in my old passport to get back in.

I then get an Immigration Office to transfer the extension and re-entry permit, or do I wait until the next extension?

Yes you can enter with the information in your old passport.

You are supposed to have a letter from your Embassy asking that they be transferred - but the UK Embassy used to not provide and it was done anyhow so expect you can have Immigration transfer. I know the current permitted to stay is transferred but seem to have seen different reports about re-entry permits.

So if I renew my passport on a trip to The UK, because it's far cheaper to do so, I can use the extension of stay and re-entry permit in my old passport to get back in.

I then get an Immigration Office to transfer the extension and re-entry permit, or do I wait until the next extension?

You should get them transfered over as soon as you get back.

Be sure and save any proof you have that the UK goverment issued you a new passport because immigration does ask for it sometimes and it is one of the listed requirements on their website to transfer the stamps.

Edit: They will transfer re-entry permits. You just have to make sure they do it. They forget sometimes.