Atm Machines

westbounder

Check the thread millwall. Does seem that Ayuthaya is being "iffy" tho:

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/Thai-Banks-S...html&st=750

Post #753

Bank of Ayudhya ATM asked me if I would accept a 33.44 exchange rate (USD) tonight. I walked across the street to a Kasikorn ATM and got 34.89. That's a pretty significant difference! I saved 831 baht by walking across the street. Are they always that different?

Post #754

This must now confirm this DCC charge by Ayudhya they are now worst than the rest of the banks for you Dollar & Euro guys as they seem to be more than doubling the 150 baht fee with there new Dynamic conversion BS.

Any Brits used Ayudhya this last few days? It appears is does not involve the pound at this time can anyone confirm please.

I am a bit confused with the increased fees. Are you saying that I will be charged TWICE for the same transaction. I already know I will be charged about $5 Canadian at my own CIBC Canadian bank for each ATM transaction used out of country. What I want to know is will I be charged 150 baht by the Thai bank on top of my charge by CIBC?

I also have a savings account at the Siam Commercial bank of Thailand. I normally just put money there to use in an emergency or for transferring funds within Thailand. it just costs me 20 baht per transaction which I feel is fair. I never draw money out of my Thai account outside the country... even though I could. Would I be charged the 150 baht for using the ATM machine right at my own bank? It would be easier and cheaper just to walk into the bank and get money from a teller.

I am a bit confused with the increased fees. Are you saying that I will be charged TWICE for the same transaction. I already know I will be charged about $5 Canadian at my own CIBC Canadian bank for each ATM transaction used out of country. What I want to know is will I be charged 150 baht by the Thai bank on top of my charge by CIBC?

I also have a savings account at the Siam Commercial bank of Thailand. I normally just put money there to use in an emergency or for transferring funds within Thailand. it just costs me 20 baht per transaction which I feel is fair. I never draw money out of my Thai account outside the country... even though I could. Would I be charged the 150 baht for using the ATM machine right at my own bank? It would be easier and cheaper just to walk into the bank and get money from a teller.

Use the wrong ATM and you'll get hit with 150b fee on the Thai side + whatever fees your bank in Canada charges. Have you shopped around for a different bank in Canada? Many banks will not charge an international ATM fee.

The 150b fee is only when you're withdrawing money using your Canadian card. I take out large sums once or twice a month and stick it in a Thai bank account so that I'm not carrying around 40,000b.

Thanks for that Eek. So Bank of Ayuthaya no charge but poor rate. Govt savings bank and Kasikorn (Farmers bank) good rates and no fee.

does that seem about the current state of things?

The exchange rate difference between Ayutthaya and Kasikorn was very significant on Sunday night. I wonder if it could have been because it was a Sunday and Kasikorn hadn't updated the new (lower) exchange rate yet? Not sure how that would work, but their exchange rate didn't seem to reflect the changes of the last 2 days of drops.

• 4 months later...

Forgive me if I've not searched thoroughly enough. I still appear to be avoiding the 150baht charges at Ayutthaya Bank ATMs at Tesco Kamtieng and Carrefour on the East side of superhighway with a UK Nationwide Flex card. However most of the time I only seem to be able to withdraw 10,000 yet at other ATMs I can withdraw 15 or 16 depending on the current exchange rate. Does anyone know of any trick to get the full amount at either of these machines? I also just read a thread that says Aeon does not charge the 150B and apparently they have a Carrefour machine according to

Aeon ATM locations

Ive found at an ATM it is dependant on your cards daily limit AND how many notes the Thai ATM will give you at one time.

If you go inside and get a cash advance there is no fee and you can get up to 300k baht . Thats at BBL< SCB< UOB

NOT K Bank - their max is 20,000- baht per day either ATM or over the counter. ( why i dont know!)

use your cedit card , debit cards, inside the bank as if you were cashing a cheque, fill the small amount of paperwork, take your passport, and you won't get charged the 150b.

I just tried this today at Siam Commercail Bank (SCB), Carrefour Chiang Mai. They said no charge but that they would use their own rate 51.9 Baht/£ whereas the current visa rate is 53 on their website (which I will assume has been rounded up from 52.5 for the sake of the example below).

On a £15000 withdrawal I would get the following

SCB in-branch rate: 51.9 = 15000/51.9 = 289.02

Visa ATM Rate: 52.5 (but probably higher) (need to add the 150 baht for this one) = 15150/52.5 = 288.57

So using the ATM still costs me less £ to get 15000 baht

Or should I be getting the visa rate in-branch?

use your cedit card , debit cards, inside the bank as if you were cashing a cheque, fill the small amount of paperwork, take your passport, and you won't get charged the 150b.

I just tried this today at Siam Commercail Bank (SCB), Carrefour Chiang Mai. They said no charge but that they would use their own rate 51.9 Baht/£ whereas the current visa rate is 53 on their website (which I will assume has been rounded up from 52.5 for the sake of the example below).

Visa ATM Rate: 52.5 (but probably higher) (need to add the 150 baht for this one) = 15150/52.5 = 288.57

hi JD, that has never happened to me at either BBL, SCB or UOB,,

I always get the posted rate of exchange.

SCB Airport Plaza, UOB airport plaza, BBL Chang Phuak.

They post a rate for the day - that is their rate. How do thye justify the difference - me thinks they canot - they are having a lend of you my friend ! :)

Well yes a common game to add hidden fees in the exchange rate. If you do have a Thai bank account and you are a European and stay a while here you can reduce the fees just by using this service: www.moneybookers.com It will took some days until you setup an account for the verifying process, but once you are throughyou can transfer money fast and easy. The fees are really low compared to the others here and there exchange rate is the real interbank exchange rate with a very low commission. Try for yourself I do use this service in a couple of countries in the past and always was fast and reliable tough if I've been in Eastern Europe - it was working fine in every country.

Well yes a common game to add hidden fees in the exchange rate. If you do have a Thai bank account and you are a European and stay a while here you can reduce the fees just by using this service: www.moneybookers.com It will took some days until you setup an account for the verifying process, but once you are throughyou can transfer money fast and easy. The fees are really low compared to the others here and there exchange rate is the real interbank exchange rate with a very low commission. Try for yourself I do use this service in a couple of countries in the past and always was fast and reliable tough if I've been in Eastern Europe - it was working fine in every country.

I have researched moneybookers before. If, like me, you want to change £ to baht, moneybookers method is first to change to Euro, then to Baht. So you lose money twice. Its worse than the ATM with 150 baht fee for my 15000 baht.

They post a rate for the day - that is their rate. How do thye justify the difference - me thinks they canot - they are having a lend of you my friend ! :)

As far as I understood, 51.9 was the 'posted rate'. However, I wanted to get the the visa wholesale rate which is what I get if I use the ATM. Does anyone else get this visa-rate in-branch?

Thanks

JD

As far as I understood, 51.9 was the 'posted rate'. However, I wanted to get the the visa wholesale rate which is what I get if I use the ATM. Does anyone else get this visa-rate in-branch?

Thanks

JD

No, becasue as far an I am aware, this is part of the banks spread on doing exchange transactions. We are not wholesale customers so they are not obliged (or interesed) in giving us that rate.

cheers :D

I have researched moneybookers before. If, like me, you want to change £ to baht, moneybookers method is first to change to Euro, then to Baht. So you lose money twice. Its worse than the ATM with 150 baht fee for my 15000 baht.

I agree I makes no sense to change the currency twice - so I suggest you setup your account according to the currency you have :

Which currencies do you accept?

A full list of possible account currencies is shown on the 'registration' page. Currently, these are: Euro, British Pound, Bulgarian Lev, U.S. Dollar, Australian Dollar, Canadian Dollar, Czech Koruna, Danish Krone, Estonian Koruna, Hong Kong Dollar, Hungarian Forint, Israeli Shekel, Japanese Yen, Lithuanian Litas, Latvia Lat, Malaysian Ringgit, New Taiwan Dollar, New Turkish Lira, New Zealand Dollar, Norwegian Krone, Polish Zloty, Singapore Dollar, Slovakian Koruna, South-African rand, South-Korean won, Swedish Krona, Swiss Franc and Thailand Baht.

Since ALL banks in Chiang Mai are charging a flat fee now for taking money from an ATM machine, What Bank in Chiang Mai lets you withdraw the most amount of money at one time. My daily allowance is US $1,000 on my ATM card.

Bangkok Bank is not charging me for using my ATM card to withdraw money (unless I use another bank's ATM in which case they impose a 20Bht charge). Also the upper limit on withdrawal is 25,000 Bht TWICE in any one day.

• 2 weeks later...
does this mean that Bank of Ayuthaya and government Savings Bank are now charging? I've been telling my customers that those 3 are still free. has this changed?

soz off topic, tried to send private mess but disabled...

hey guy just noticed ya id tag great i am Millwall 2...

ave been livin in Thailand fa 12yrs now and know a few lions, do u ever come to bkk? let me know i prob know ya anyway

great win against the Leeds the other day

Edited by beekaykay

My 2p

Did you ask for GBP15,000 or for Baht 780,000?

If you ask for the pound they will do the exchange at their rate and put that number of Baht into their machine.

If you ask for Baht they put that figure into their machine and you get the VISA rate.

They can not put GBP15,000 into their machine - only Baht.

PS Bank of Ayuthaya in airport plaza gave me VISA rate with NO 150B charge on my Nationwide card on Friday 23rd October. 16,000Baht for GBP294.78p

So I'm happy for a couple of weeks. :)