Visitors Down By A Half

mommysboy

• Replies 141
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

http://www.nationmultimedia.com/worldhotne...ts-down-by-half

There's the story.

But there is some good news: the Thai bt's getting even stronger.

Hooray mak jing

Yep, it's somewhat akin to covering the roof with petrol when your house is on fire. Nice work rataban!

But I thought bringing this subject up again might give the naysayers who doubted the severity of the downturn to add further comment.

I thought down at heel (or perhaps not) guest house/hotel owners might want to update us too-must be tough.

Add to this, how much are exports down by?

Got to be around the same?

It would be nice to get some first-hand accounts from expats (and Thais) who own businesses in Thailand that are in some way related to tourism......are they being affected by the downturn? Are they closing shop? Expanding? Moving to the Philippines, Cambodia, Vietnam, Malaysia, etc., or staying? Laying off workers? Hiring workers?

They will return soon, however this strong baht might just low the process, powers that be are you listening?? :):D

Weak USD/GBP/Euro to weaken further. Nothing the Thai's can possibly do about it really.

They will return soon, however this strong baht might just low the process, powers that be are you listening?? :):D

Weak USD/GBP/Euro to weaken further. Nothing the Thai's can possibly do about it really.

Except weaken the Baht, in line with the other currencies, to maintain their competitive position.

But perhaps they prefer to do nothing, and accept the consequences, rather than make a positive decision for the good of the country, and risk losing face, in some unfathomable way ? :D

It would be nice to get some first-hand accounts from expats (and Thais) who own businesses in Thailand that are in some way related to tourism......are they being affected by the downturn? Are they closing shop? Expanding? Moving to the Philippines, Cambodia, Vietnam, Malaysia, etc., or staying? Laying off workers? Hiring workers?

Old mate has a restaurant on Koh Samet.

It was bad in Dec/Jan, had the best ever Feb/Mar, Apr not bad then into low season. He's been there 8 years. Same business.

I had the dubious and unfortunate pleasure to visit Sin City in March. Packed.

High seasons may remain. Low season will be dead. Which surprises me because I thought it might just flatten out.

Except weaken the Baht, in line with the other currencies, to maintain their competitive position.

But perhaps they prefer to do nothing, and accept the consequences, rather than make a positive decision for the good of the country, and risk losing face, in some unfathomable way ? :D

I think US/UK 'our printing press is bigger than yours race to the bottom'.

It's beyond normal currency fluctuations and control now.

Let's move to the drawing room (financial gloom sub-forum)

There is an article on the GM of Oriental Hotel in todays Bangkok Post saying that of the 45 suites available there is not one night reserved for the next 2 or 3 months.

I guess that means Elizabeth Taylor isn't coming to town.

This is fantastic news for those of us here in Thailand. The soaring tourists numbers for the last two decades have done nothing for us or the Thais. We can only hope the traffic and environmental and social degradation caused by rampant tourism will continue to ease.

This is fantastic news for those of us here in Thailand. The soaring tourists numbers for the last two decades have done nothing for us or the Thais. We can only hope the traffic and environmental and social degradation caused by rampant tourism will continue to ease.

Many people work in the industry. For thousands loosing their jobs is not fantastic. Also, if you think, that Bangkoks environment would be better without tourists you are wrong. It would be worse.

My airport hotel in Phuket was 100% full last night (OK, we only have 10 rooms...). We also had to take 3 further walk-in guests to other hotels (and collect the commission!).

This low season seems to be ok for us :)

Simon

The Thais have no idea about international currencies and the need to lower their prices or adjust their currency to compensate and stay competitive.

The classic example is the tax increase on Beer at a time when the hospitality industry is already on it's knees.

Tourism down 50% is no surprise to anyone who has a clear, unbiased view and who has been watching events unfold in the last 6 months. The Land of Smiles had already turned into the Land of Grimaces before this red shirt/yellow shirt childishness, and now it looks like a civil war if you watch CNN or BBC which most foreign tourists do. Talk about shooting yourself in the foot. It's all straight out of the "Watch me ruin an economy" handbook.

I predicted this on a previous thread a few months ago only to be flamed and told I didn't know what I was talking about. I said last year that it was time to take your business abroad to neighboring countries. I'm glad I did.

The funniest thing is that the Thais and Farang biz owners all think things will recover soon. :)

Try a few years at the very earliest. If you're in biz in Thailand I hope you've got some fat on your bones to last the long dry season approaching.

Best of luck with that.

My airport hotel in Phuket was 100% full last night (OK, we only have 10 rooms...). We also had to take 3 further walk-in guests to other hotels (and collect the commission!).

This low season seems to be ok for us :)

Simon

Simon........you are no doubt rich.......and you no doubt talk with other hotel owners.

Phuket, in my view, is special. It is the last place in Thailand one would expect evidence of an economic downturn to surface.

So, what about the general view..........are many/most hotels hurting?

Is the area economically better or worse than one year ago.

So, what about the general view..........are many/most hotels hurting?

Is the area economically better or worse than one year ago.

It's fairly obvious if the tourism numbers are down 50%, that means the average occupancy rates are down 50%. Ya geddit?

If the hotels usually have a yearly average occupancy rate of about 70%, that means they're at about 30% now. Hardly enough to make a profit or stay afloat in most cases.

Might be some cheap hotels on the market in about a year or 2 in Thailand.

And Simon, I dont think having a pissant 10 rooms full for a night makes a good season. If anyone has a real hotel that's full now, please inform us.

Edited by duchovny

If you still have ample funds;

If you are a foreigner who isn't tied to a Thai;

If VietCamLaoMalay pushes all your buttons;

Get out of here with our blessings.

Almost all Thais don't move to other SEAsian countries. They can't or won't.

Obviously I'm not talking about Thais. This is an expat forum, is it not?

IMO the decline of tourism in LoS have more to do with the Global crunch.But it's true that Thailand is doing its part in scaring away tourists,long time residents and potential investors.Yesterday i went to 7/11 for a large Leo,it was 78 B. against 41 B. the day before.Of course, as you can see on another thread,the alternatives to Thailand are not so many,so probably people will keep on coming,but how long?If Thailand wants to keep its 10% of income which no doubt come from foreign visitors, should put a halt to the wild destruction of pristine areas,keep the prices low and ease the immigration policies.

Bit scary that post, Blondie.

Usually I read that sort of thing as "well if you don't like it . . . foff."

But having read many of your posts, you're not that sort. So I read that as "yes it's dire, best hitch a ride outta here."

Right, wrong? :)

But having read many of your posts, you're not that sort. So I read that as "yes it's dire, best hitch a ride outta here."

I was thinking the same thing. I also thought it was directed at ME? A fellow Texan?

I was thinking the same thing. I also thought it was directed at ME? A fellow Texan?

Never old chap. Turned out nice again! (Raises small cup of tea from saucer)

Ok Ive got 5 condos I rent all are full............................ hope that doesnt upset you all too much??

I noticed one local hotel to me charges Thais 1300 baht a night farangs 1700 baht a night (Bangkok) hmmm nice touch.

Edited by yabaaaa

Ok Ive got 5 condos I rent all are full............................ hope that doesnt upset you all too much??

I noticed one local hotel to me charges Thais 1300 baht a night farangs 1700 baht a night (Bangkok) hmmm nice touch.

I for one am happy you are earning money.Will be good for Thailand as you pay taxes.

Same round here (Fortune Town), they just don't get the message.

I wonder if Thailand's failure to do anything stems from the impression they have that all farangs have an inexhaustible supply of money. I don't think Thais quite understand the seriousness of their predicament- quite a few on this board too.

But it is amazing how life goes on. On the one hand, this IMHO is a very severe recession, on the other, there seems to be more hustle and bustle than ever.

I have noticed lots of shops closing down in the Pratunam area, particularly those off street.

Would be nice to hear from more hotel owners.