Gay Life As A Teenager In Thailand

remmy

Gay life as a teenager in thailand;

I am a student in a University in Thailand.

How where when.?

/edit title and question, on the border of being illegal and dangerous.

Darknight Mod

/Please refer to Remmy's later post for details.

ChrisP Mod

Edited by ChrisP

Interesting question. Before I go anywhere overseas, I try to do as much online research as possible. In the case of Thailand, I found ThaiVisa to be very helpful because of its many and varied forums.

I met a university graduate from Khon Kaen on ThaiVisa's Bangkok Chat. We kept in touch via email and phone calls. He was my guide when I came to Thailand. It was a non-sexual thing - he just wanted a falang friend to practice his English and I wanted a guide.

I asked him where are all the Thai gay teens and he told me two interesting stories.

1. Most are home studying after school finishes.

2. Although Thai people have a very relaxed attitude to sexuality and homophobia is not obvious most Thai parents expect their sons and daughters to grow up, get married and have children. Parents want their children to look after them in their old age and so on.

In Thai schools it is the opposite. I chatted with a couple of gay Thai teen guys that I met through Bangkok Chat when I was in Bangkok last year. Nothing more - just chatted. Both were 17 years of age and still at school. They told me that being gay was no more accepted in Thai schools than it was in most western schools. So they keep up a 'straight image' until they go to university. Then are able to 'be themselves'.

Hopefully this is not a thread for how to find UNDERAGE teens. Anyway, if it's so unacceptable to be gay in Thailand high schools - as much so as in most western schools - why do both the public high schools in our provincial capital have at least 20% outrageous flaming katoeys? And they're made fun of, but they're still popular. Some of the best students, as well. On the 15th of this month I'll mourn the anniversary of the death of our best student, who was very out of the closet, and everybody in the school and community took party in the lengthy death rituals, and there were no dry eyes at the cremation.

But I'll agree that some of those who eventually come out of the closet are in there during high school. Then again, my friend the 30-ish gay artist from Bangkok thought it was fashionable to be katoey in high school and then become bisexual or strraight later in life!

Downtown Bangkok is pretty strict, but you'll find that where there aren't many tourists, the bars kinda snigger at the idea of enforcing age limits (at least if we're talking 18yo+). Pick up some Thai words and get out of central Bangkok and go to the discos, especially in major industrial suburbs.

"Steven"

:o Hello

I wanted to answer you guys as a real Thai teenager but I could not do as I were just 20 and it's not a "teen" anymore

I remeber the first time I think about being with guys was when I was 18, so I used those kind of gaywebsite dragon..., gay.com... and I did meet a couple of guys.

It's not so easy for thai teenagers to meet each other in real life because we're really scened and classified.

There will be gay guys who are really effiminate and they stick together

there were gay guys who act straight and sometimes just pretend to be bisexual if anyfriends got some clues about his gayness. Also they were many gays who try to stick with their studies that they are tops of the class.

You see.. Thai people always like to stick with group and bond with each other very much that if you 're interested in one guy it's hard to reach and approach into him + thai culture is not supproting having BF GF much while studying so..if you feel horny just go masterbating.

But they were some people using ID card fake to ceceive the checker ,so they had chances to go to bar or ckubs earlier than others and they may get lots more experience

Anyway where are young gay farangs in thailand who 're looking for relationships?

• 4 weeks later...

My bf, - who isn't exactly "butch", and is certainly on the fem side of "pretty", (although not a LadyBoy) tells me that he was also the subject of ridicule when he was in High-School for being "obviously gay"... :D

Hmmm. I'm really surprised that for such a tolerant society towards gays generally, that the Thai High School environment is so intolerant (like the rest of the Western World).

ChrisP

PS you can always go see him perform at the Freeman Dance Arena midnight show..!

:o

hey sorry for my original post :o should have known the sensitivity of the issue but what Im trying to say is univ students who are under 20 I am under 20 myself ; here in my univ i saw lots of girly guys even some who dress as girls in boys residence hall which i am not really interested. Most thai students are in groups and very hard to be included in their peers. Anyway I just want to know how they spend their free time especially during weekends. if i am 20 or over I wont need to ask the question as I knew there are clubs etc where they can go and have fun etc. Thanks for the correction.

You're right that you'll need a group. A lot of the Thai gay scene is about small groups going out and drinking and dancing together- not sure exactly how they wind up dating or having boyfriends or anything. Find a real Thai gay bar and see if you get any interest from anyone that you like, and see if you fit into their group- accepting/offering drinks is a good sign. Then you'll probably wind up dating one of them, sooner or later. Lots of little gay pods wandering around Siam station and environs most nights... If you let us know where you're based we could maybe give you more specific advice. Good luck!

"Steven"

hey sorry for  my original post :o should have known the sensitivity of the issue but what Im trying to say is univ students who are under 20 I  am under 20 myself ; here in my univ i saw lots of girly guys even some who dress as girls in boys residence hall which i am not really interested. Most thai students are in groups and very hard to be included in their peers. Anyway I just want to know how they spend their free time especially during weekends. if i am 20 or over I wont need to ask the question as I knew there are clubs etc where they can go and have fun etc.  Thanks for the correction.

On the basis that you are under 20, and going back to my original suggestion, you might want to take a look at:

http://gamth.tripod.com/eindex.html