Jomtien: The Miami Of Southeast Asia

Jingthing

Over the years we have seen silly slogans for Pattaya, but none that I remember for Jomtien, until now.

The Pattaya/Jomtien Traveller tourist mini-magazine dubs Jomtien the Miami Beach of Southeast Asia. Well if anything it sounds more impressive and respectable than saying Suburb of Pattaya.

The way they actually put it:

Jomtien, located just 2 km away from Pattaya is noted in some circles as being the up and coming "Miami of Southeast Asia".

OK, some things demand to be asked.

Who are these some circles? Are they drunks? If Jomtien is Miami, what is Pattaya? If Jomtien is up and coming to Miami, what is it NOW?

Over the years we have seen silly slogans for Pattaya, but none that I remember for Jomtien, until now.

The Pattaya/Jomtien Traveller tourist mini-magazine dubs Jomtien the Miami Beach of Southeast Asia. Well if anything it sounds more impressive and respectable than saying Suburb of Pattaya.

Jomtien, located just 2 km away from Pattaya is noted in some circles as being the up and coming "Miami of Southeast Asia".

Who are these some circles? Are they drunks? If Jomtien is Miami, what is Pattaya? If Jomtien is up and coming to Miami, what is it NOW?

What a joke, its a sh1thole, have you driven to jomtien lately, . :)

I remember Jomtien when there was almost nothing there........long strolls down the isolated beach (back in 1986). Great old growth trees back then (all cut down around 2003-2004 to make room for palm trees......now beach erosion because of it and much less shade).

It was great back then. Anyway, back on topic........it is not Miami Beach.

If Miami is Bangkok, Jomtien would be more like Ft. Lauderdale. But it is not Ft. Lauderdale.

It is, however, becoming a geriatric ward....in that regard it is similar to Ft. Lauderdale/Miami Beach.

I really hate the development that has taken place there over the past 9 years. The dreary concrete coffins......one after another. Prices going through the roof.

The infrastructure remains poor at best (often smells like crap and urine when you walk around the area). The bay is still polluted.

The only thing it has going for it is the wind......for some reason the wind always seems stronger in Jomtien than in Pattaya.

But global warming will likely change that (could result in more wind/could result in less wind). And eventually there will be no beach......it will be underwater.

Maybe in 20 years there will be a new slogan: "Jomtien, the Miami Beach of Thailand, underwater."

Is it full of hacked-off Cubans, Columbian drug runners, ginger cops and mulleted blokes with badly tailored jackets..?

Whats a .... mulleted bloke :D

A bloke with a 'Mullet' hairstyle..

post-39406-1242185678_thumb.jpg

Actually these days guys in Pattaya seem to be sporting 'skullets' .. same as a mullet but bald on top :)

>>Jomtien has gone down hill fast and too many gays covorting openly with young thai boys,urgggggghhhhhh horrible. <<

The most that i have seen is hand holding .It does not bother me and is only in one small area ( Dontang beach and Jomtien Complex ) .People who live in Jomtien are tollerant as a whole .Far worse things to be seen around Pattaya .Also the young Thai boys you mention all look to be 20 year old and above .

First things, we do need a Cuban restaurant! And a good deli!

BTW, cut the homophobic crapola, OK, or did you think Thailand or Miami was supposed to be like a Mormon picnic?

Edited by Jingthing

Common Jingthing

My group went there during our uni years…many moons agooooo

Miami beach, is also well known for the-SPRING-BREAK party…that's when thousands of hot girls will surround South Beach!!!

Can you see THAT in Jomtien for those thai uni girls?…hehe :)

South Beach is only a small portion of Miami. Miami is a very large city.

Yes indeed very large city, and when you do happen to drive around...

Here are a few basic rules you will also need to learn how to get around the city.

1.Dont stop on Yellow

2.Dont stop on Red

3.Signaling is a sign of weakness

Sound similar to your area huh, jingting :)

And....Oh not to mention the famous phrase there....."Donde esta el Rep Tancredo?'' (``Where is the toilet?'') :D

Edited by teacup

I remember Jomtien when there was almost nothing there........long strolls down the isolated beach (back in 1986). Great old growth trees back then (all cut down around 2003-2004 to make room for palm trees......now beach erosion because of it and much less shade).

It was great back then. Anyway, back on topic........it is not Miami Beach.

If Miami is Bangkok, Jomtien would be more like Ft. Lauderdale. But it is not Ft. Lauderdale.

It is, however, becoming a geriatric ward....in that regard it is similar to Ft. Lauderdale/Miami Beach.

I really hate the development that has taken place there over the past 9 years. The dreary concrete coffins......one after another. Prices going through the roof.

The infrastructure remains poor at best (often smells like crap and urine when you walk around the area). The bay is still polluted.

The only thing it has going for it is the wind......for some reason the wind always seems stronger in Jomtien than in Pattaya.

But global warming will likely change that (could result in more wind/could result in less wind). And eventually there will be no beach......it will be underwater.

Maybe in 20 years there will be a new slogan: "Jomtien, the Miami Beach of Thailand, underwater."

Bit behind the times aren't we

Have you not seen the data?

There has been NO warming so far this century

Sad that there are still people believing in Al Gore's scam

Please take your anti-Al Gore bile over here, OK?

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/Al-Gore-Temp...re-t261811.html

Everyone is entitled to their opinion - even you Jinthing

I am just trying to correct a factual statement by the previous poster

The facts as they appear this century would support the idea that the previous poster was wrong and that visitors even investors in Pattaya and Jomtien should not be worried about getting their feet wet in the near, mid or far future

The referance to Al Gore - well he is the one person on this "doomed" planet who seems set to benefit the most from his own scaremongering tactics

As a Yorkshireman would say - "There's nowt as daft as folk" especially tree hugging folk and ex wanna be presidents:D

Edited by IamAgel

Everyone is entitled to their opinion

I agree but there is a running topic on Gore warming, and this is NOT it. Cheers.

Of course

This topic is about Jomtien compared to Miami

So what on Earth has Global Warming got to do with Jomtien or Miami?

I notice that you did not pick up on this with the poster but picked on my comment because it goes against your misguided and naive views - grow up and learn the facts of nature

Maybe concentrate on more important things to the world's population like the price of a ride on a Baht bus or whether taxis use meters

Have a good life, keep smiling - and invest in a pair of woolly drawers - you may need them

Please take your anti-Al Gore bile over here, OK?

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/Al-Gore-Temp...re-t261811.html

Everyone is entitled to their opinion - even you Jinthing

I am just trying to correct a factual statement by the previous poster

The facts as they appear this century would support the idea that the previous poster was wrong and that visitors even investors in Pattaya and Jomtien should not be worried about getting their feet wet in the near, mid or far future

The referance to Al Gore - well he is the one person on this "doomed" planet who seems set to benefit the most from his own scaremongering tactics

As a Yorkshireman would say - "There's nowt as daft as folk" especially tree hugging folk and ex wanna be presidents:D

Global warming aside, I am curious about whether or not IamAgel thinks Jomtien Beach will eventually be similar to Miami Beach.