British Driving Licence

ianf

I have just moved to CM and wondered what happens with driving licences. My licence has my old english address on (house now sadly sold) and I'll need to hire a car in the UK in July. Fot Thailand,do I need to change this licence?

Thanks

I'm not sure about the address, but if it matches your credit card address its probably ok.

If you've got the new credit card size licence, make sure you take the counterpart with you, the rental company will not accept the small one.

If the license is valid then you'll be fine.

You could in theory also get an international license to go with your valid UK license, but especially for English language licenses I don't think this is even necessary.

With your valid UK license you can also apply for a Thai driver's license if you're on a Non Immigrant visa. In that case no need to take an exam, just a basic test to check that you're not blind or deaf. For that you go to the Transport department which is on the Hang Dong road on the left side after Tesco but before you get to Big C.

I am not sure if it is legal to have a UK licence with an incorrect address, ie your old address, for that reason i changed mine to my sisters house. thats the theory but i think it will only matter when you dont respond to a speeding ticket etc. perhaps get a thai one as well then see if they will take that (not sure they will as it will be a 1 year temporaty licence first time)

cheers

al

you need to inform at swansea dvlc

that there is a change of address

other wise you can be landed with a 1000 pound fine

you are useing a d/l not registered to that address and you don't live there

When i moved to thailand i informed dvlc that i was moving to thailand and did not have a home in the uk.They returned the driving licence with my last uk address on .they could not change as i do not have a current uk address and left the previous address on the licence.If i move back to the uk and get a uk address at which i am living they informed me to send the driving licence in again for it to be updated.