Beware! Using The Escalator At Tops Supermarket

syd barrett

Visiting the second-hand bookstore on the 1st floor (British) 2nd Floor (American/Thai) using the escalator this morning I noticed that the black plastic handrail was out-of-order (stationary) during my ascent.

Out of habit, nearing the top I grabbed the handrail unsuspectingly and I was 'yanked backwards' by the speed difference, which could have resulted in serious injury.

I am sure that most of you are familiar with British Standard EN115: (1995) which states that handrail speed, should match step speed by 2.15% or else the whole system should be shut-down.

There was an English-written warning notice taped to the top of the handrail reading 'do not touch handrail'.

Please approach this elevator with caution.

There was an English-written warning notice taped to the top of the handrail reading 'do not touch handrail'.

Syd, was this before, or after, you had researched your latest breakfast ????

Syd, was this before, or after, you had researched your latest breakfast ????

Chaimai - Syd was going to the Book store, maybe looking for the latest Mr Bean book. :)

In Thailand, approach EVERYTHING with caution! Look both ways TWICE! Assume NOTHING! Count on the unusal happening and you'll normally be fine. I say "normal" with the understanding that normal in other parts of the world is not normal in Thailand. :):D:D

Glad there were no injuries and that you did find the book you wanted. :D

I am sure that most of you are familiar with British Standard EN115: (1995) which states that handrail speed, should match step speed by 2.15% or else the whole system should be shut-down.

"Irrelevant!"

"Sustained!"

Visiting the second-hand bookstore on the 1st floor (British) 2nd Floor (American/Thai) using the escalator this morning I noticed that the black plastic handrail was out-of-order (stationary) during my ascent.

Out of habit, nearing the top I grabbed the handrail unsuspectingly and I was 'yanked backwards' by the speed difference, which could have resulted in serious injury.

We are American Syd, so no we are not familiar with the British standard. Are you familiar with the American Thai standard?

Barry

Syd the British standard is not applicable here in Thailand. I think that the standard used here is the " Oh dear, What a pity, Never mind " ( In Thai of course ) Standard that applies to anything that is broken :)

We are American Syd, so no we are not familiar with the British standard. Are you familiar with the American Thai standard?

Barry

The American Standards (ANSI) is ANSI A17.1 which states that the handrail speed should not change when 444.8 newtons are applied against the direction of the handrail. There is more allowance in the ANSI code, it allows a 15% speed difference between rail speed and staircase speed until emergency STOP be activated automatically.

I hope this helps.

I grabbed the handrail unsuspectingly and I was 'yanked backwards' by the speed difference, which could have resulted in serious injury.

I think you just admitted nearly causing an accident - be carefull they might fine you for your involvement.

And why woudl any British or American standard be relevant when talking about Thailand?

Exactly. The escalators at Tops have been dodgy ever since I first came to Pattaya (as well as the ones in TukCom). You should know what you're getting yourself into. Watch your surroundings.

Even if there is a speed differential, in order for Tops or their escalator maintenance company to be liable for any damages, you would have to prove they had actual or constructive knowledge of the speed differential, based either on a customer complaint or prior accident. I should know, I am an attorney who has both represented escalator and elevator accident victims, and has also represented Otis Elevator Co.

Exactly. The escalators at Tops have been dodgy ever since I first came to Pattaya (as well as the ones in TukCom). You should know what you're getting yourself into. Watch your surroundings.

Even if there is a speed differential, in order for Tops or their escalator maintenance company to be liable for any damages, you would have to prove they had actual or constructive knowledge of the speed differential, based either on a customer complaint or prior accident. I should know, I am an attorney who has both represented escalator and elevator accident victims, and has also represented Otis Elevator Co.

Thanks for the legal feedback.

Surely the automatic 'STOP' function for the elevator which activates when handrail speed deviates from the acceptable parameters has been 'overriden' manually by escalator engineers, which could result in suing whoever these engineers are?

It is rather similar to 'over-riding' one of the many elevator malfunction indicators, just to keep an elavator in service, yet victims of an elevator plunge from several floors would be dead. (I don't use elevators in Thailand. Ever!)

Surely the automatic 'STOP' function for the elevator which activates when handrail speed deviates from the acceptable parameters has been 'overriden' manually by escalator engineers, which could result in suing whoever these engineers are?

It is rather similar to 'over-riding' one of the many elevator malfunction indicators, just to keep an elavator in service, yet victims of an elevator plunge from several floors would be dead. (I don't use elevators in Thailand. Ever!)

The automatic stop function for handrail maladjustment is a relatively new design according to Schindler (which now owns Otis). I doubt that the Tops escalator was designed with such a safety function, and even in the U.S. and U.K., there is no retrofitting requirement for this safety device.

Great story and replies guys haha! I read it because I expected you to have been robbed on there I was pleasantly suprised at the outcome. After reading all the robberies on baht bus stories it was all I had expected: watch out for the pickpocketing gangs on Tops escaltors!

Love the power cut joke! Keep it up dont let the b******* grind you down :)