Why Do Food Subjects Have To Be So Contentious?

Rasseru

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think I remember asking a question similar to this in another post, but I was serious.

A question similar to what? The exact question of this thread was recently asked by Tywais on another thread. That is what led me to start this thread. I am happy to hear everyone's thoughts about the question, very much including any serious ones.

I've come to the conclusion, myself, that competition in the restaurant business probably has something to do with it, at least some of the time. If a particular restaurant is receiving too much praise, competitors will not like it and will sometimes try to to kill the topic to stop that restaurant from receiving too much positive publicity. By being 'contentious' on a thread, they can sometimes achieve what they want. Similarly, a restaurant's owner and his or her friends may try to promote, truthfully or falsely, the quality of his or her restaurant by posting about it in a way that appears innocent but is not. Thinking that such a thing is going on may contribute to the preceding phenomenon.

It's sad, I think, because it can have the effect of interfering with and even stopping innocent discussions that others are trying to have.

I think I remember asking a question similar to this in another post, but I was serious.

A question similar to what? The exact question of this thread was recently asked by Tywais on another thread. That is what led me to start this thread. I am happy to hear everyone's thoughts about the question, very much including any serious ones.

I've come to the conclusion, myself, that competition in the restaurant business probably has something to do with it, at least some of the time. If a particular restaurant is receiving too much praise, competitors will not like it and will sometimes try to to kill the topic to stop that restaurant from receiving too much positive publicity. By being 'contentious' on a thread, they can sometimes achieve what they want. Similarly, a restaurant's owner and his or her friends may try to promote, truthfully or falsely, the quality of his or her restaurant by posting about it in a way that appears innocent but is not. Thinking that such a thing is going on may contribute to the preceding phenomenon.

It's sad, I think, because it can have the effect of interfering with and even stopping innocent discussions that others are trying to have.

I agree. I think that both of these reasons contribute to a lot of mud slinging but it is also the case that Chiang Mai has a lot of bitter, jealous and unhappy people that hide out in their miserable little lives taking aim and denigrating anyone who works hard and is being any kind of successful.

These people would be resigned to scribbling on public restroom bathroom walls were it not for the internet.

I suggest that they should either drink themselves to death or go back to their own countries where they can legally buy a gun and use it on themselves.

When someone starts a thread about why they think a restaurant is good they are not asking for every loser with a hidden axe to grind to regurgitate with negativity. I say shut the f..k up. And for those that keep the argument going swallow that sh.t and choke on it.

How's that for unloading the morning's frustrations?

well, yeh it seems if you look at the current hotest food thread on TV people with nothing to say at all go on blasting the people that are commenting positively about the place ... people going to the place checking it out and reporting back what they think....

Why someone goes on com-plaining about folks post when these people have absolutley nothing to say is goofy.maybe justs stupid....

PLUS read the last current few post on the hot restaurant food thread ,someone saying:

don't you people have anything else to do blah balh balh blah....

heck why are you even on thread saying nothing>???? what can you say but.... huh????

Well i musts say you posters saying nothing at all about food, really have zero to do and have posted more nothingness that everybody put together ..

either be part of the action ..ie

eat at the place comment back and actually part of a food thread and please stop being just plain jealous of restaurant success!

becuase you most likely have failing retaurant no doubt...boo hoo, boo hoo. instead of posting negative nothingness....

Pick Yourselves up be a man not cry babies , brush yourself off ,turn computer off ,get out of your rooms and find a hobbie maybe or take a walk or work on making money in a biz that works!!!! or call you mom and talk to her ..all time better spent that posting your DOES NOT APPLY posts in active food threads!!!!!

the same stuff happened with the dukes thread ... the dukes is one of the truely successful ,consistantly good places to eat but sevral cry babies went nuts and topedoed the htread maybe because no doubt they have substandard places and wish they could be 1/8 as good or as busy as the dukes!!!! why do i say the dukes is good??? maybe because when i go there for my once a month high calorie treat it is always packed..that place must serve 200-300 a day maybe more....but crybabies will no doubt cry about this too...boo hoo boo hoo.....

Edited by gatorhead333

lot of truth in that i think.

snip ... have posted more nothingness than everybody put together ... snip ... posting negative nothingness

Khun GatorHead333, Sawasdee Khrup,

I think you have a brilliant idea there : let us have a "nothingness" sub-forum !

Of course : then the Buddhists will probably flame us, claiming we're poaching, and once they get into debates about "dependent origination," well it's ceaseless.

And how we will get the super- and regular- octane moderators empty enough to sweep into the nothingness sub-forum that which is ab origine empty enough to go there since they, like us, are often "full of themselves" ? Would it be a reflection of the universe to have a function that at random swept certain topics and posts into the nothingness sub-forum ? Or, conversely, at random, moved topics and posts from there back into other topics ? Well, forget that : on second thought, I think that is alreay happening regularly here.

Let's pursue this. And I am deeply impressed with your use of the words "negative nothingness" because I have heard only the echo of this idea before, an echo emanating from one of the meta-melon teachings of Ur-Orang of which I am not yet worthy to experience.

your brother in Simian Genes, ~o:37;

Edited by orang37

Also, gatorhead333, I would like to join your brother ~o:37; in offering my support, and present now to that end one of my patented and trademarked one-hand claps, to your brilliant idea of a nothingness sub-forum. Did it come to you just like that, as I would like to imagine (if only I could), or did you have to not think about it first?

Gatorhead333, might I trouble you, on this thread of mine, which is rather precious to me, not to talk about moderators and what you think about them and what they do? It creates some risk, I fear, of the thread getting its neck twisted or legs cut off, and that is something I would very much rather not see. If you cannot control your urges in that regard, may I politely encourage you to start your own thread? Thank you in advance for your consideration.

snip ... have posted more nothingness than everybody put together ... snip ... posting negative nothingness

Khun GatorHead333, Sawasdee Khrup,

I think you have a brilliant idea there : let us have a "nothingness" sub-forum !

Of course : then the Buddhists will probably flame us, claiming we're poaching, and once they get into debates about "dependent origination," well it's ceaseless.

And how we will get the super- and regular- octane moderators empty enough to sweep into the nothingness sub-forum that which is ab origine empty enough to go there since they, like us, are often "full of themselves" ? Would it be a reflection of the universe to have a function that at random swept certain topics and posts into the nothingness sub-forum ? Or, conversely, at random, moved topics and posts from there back into other topics ? Well, forget that : on second thought, I think that is alreay happening regularly here.

Let's pursue this. And I am deeply impressed with your use of the words "negative nothingness" because I have heard only the echo of this idea before, an echo emanating from one of the meta-melon teachings of Ur-Orang of which I am not yet worthy to experience.

your brother in Simian Genes, ~o:37;

Might we have some orang37 and is it legal?

Gatorhead333, might I trouble you, on this thread of mine, which is rather precious to me, not to talk about moderators and what you think about them and what they do? It creates some risk, I fear, of the thread getting its neck twisted or legs cut off, and that is something I would very much rather not see. If you cannot control your urges in that regard, may I politely encourage you to start your own thread? Thank you in advance for your consideration.

well this is right on your topic ! as per your topic.. it applies directly to your thread and should be addressed here it would seem...

so i laugh in the face of your fear...

this is so stupid to even have to consider..

what "mom" may think..

why is it off limits to ask why?

the real why?

this is how man kind has progressed,evolved ..

but as far as consideration to your request sure i am done falling into quagmire of the complete nonsense of others negative nothingness...there is no fun here.

Edited by gatorhead333

Does this really go on where one guy not doing so well in his restaurant try to close a thread of a competitor who is doing really well in the hope all that business will come his way i find that hard to take in.

I love reading the food threads and have found them quite accurate in persuading me to venture out and try the food depending at the time what i was looking for and in the few cases i have done this i have found the posters positive comments to be very accurate.

But on the other hand i had a recent experience where i ate at a place no (names mentioned) that was highly rated by posters only to be lets say very disappointed very, but there was no way i was going to put this experience .on that particular food thread , some times i get the feeling that these food threads are a bit clicky and heaven help any one with a bad experience to add.

It is the same people mentioning the same places time in time out, sure it is great to let every body share in a great success, but come on one would think the places to enjoy great food is only limited to a very select few places in CM and i am sure that is not the case.

And yes i will be trying a few more places on the constant recommendations of places you guys rate so highly cos i like my food both Thai and Western but i also enjoy a more varied menu to choose from.

Edited by tigerbalm

I agree. I think that both of these reasons contribute to a lot of mud slinging but it is also the case that Chiang Mai has a lot of bitter, jealous and unhappy people that hide out in their miserable little lives taking aim and denigrating anyone who works hard and is being any kind of successful.

These people would be resigned to scribbling on public restroom bathroom walls were it not for the internet.

I suggest that they should either drink themselves to death or go back to their own countries where they can legally buy a gun and use it on themselves.

When someone starts a thread about why they think a restaurant is good they are not asking for every loser with a hidden axe to grind to regurgitate with negativity. I say shut the f..k up. And for those that keep the argument going swallow that sh.t and choke on it.

How's that for unloading the morning's frustrations?

I hate to say it, but this post is totally right on.

Chiang Mai has lots of wonderful, happy people who love living here and are a pleasure to know, but, unfortunately, there are also a number of seedy losers sprinkled throughout Thailand whose families must pay them to stay in the Far East and not embarrass them further. They certainly have never made any real money on their own.

They particularly loathe anyone who is successful, because they are certainly not, so they have a real thing about the Thai Visa forum because it is doing so well.

These creeps have nothing to do but drink Lao Kao and try to make other people as unhappy as they are, so they hide in their dirty little rooms and bother people 24 hours a day on the internet, but are too chickensh*t to ever confront their victims face to face - real Internet warriors.

They even have their very own Troll web site, but of course it is as boring and unsuccessful as they are, with no advertisers and whole bunch of nasty lowlifes that they do nothing but talk trash and troll Thai Visa because that is all they have to talk about that anyone is interested in.

Getgoin hit the nail perfectly!

Edited by Ulysses G.

Might we have some orang37 and is it legal?

I cannot speak to whether it is legal, but if it is and you are able to find some, please, please, please be very careful about the farang you choose to inhabit. I have heard some real horror stories about what can happen if you make a mistake.

Nobody has yet told me what restaurant to go to for the best peanut butter sandwich. :)

Ian, you know I think the world of you, but if you want to start a discussion about a particular restaurant, I would be grateful if you could do it on another thread. Word may not have reached you yet where you are, but discussing specific restaurants has proved recently to be an activity very dangerous to the health and life of a thread.

Nobody has yet told me what restaurant to go to for the best peanut butter sandwich. :D

but discussing specific restaurants has proved recently to be an activity very dangerous to the health and life of a thread.

I know, but you can't see my tongue sticking out the side of my cheek. :)

But on the other hand i had a recent experience where i ate at a place no (names mentioned) that was highly rated by posters only to be lets say very disappointed very, but there was no way i was going to put this experience .on that particular food thread , some times i get the feeling that these food threads are a bit clicky and heaven help any one with a bad experience to add.

I cannot think of any restaurant in Chiang Mai that I have not had at least one bad experience with. Even the normally fantastic ribs at Salsa Kitchen are not very good every so often - even the amazing baked beans at He11's Kitchen.

I think that is just something that comes with the territory - we are out in the middle of Thailand - but if you are generally disappointed with a place, it might be time to strike them off your list and be done with them.

Edited by Ulysses G.