Water Filtration System

Right now we are getting nice clean water from a spring in the mountains. However, with the prolonged drought we are experiencing I expect that to run dry soon. Our alternative source of water is from a well, brown slightly oily looking water. We have pumped the well dry, climbed down in it (deep water drilling is banned on the island) and scrubbed it and scooped out the mud on the bottom (ok, hubby did it :o ). The water came out a lighter shade of brown with less oily stuff but still not clean. I have bought pond cleaners from the US (bacterial agents that work to clean it out) which have helped somewhat but not much. What we are looking for is something that will filter the water as it comes out of the tank (we pump the water up to a tank). We don't expect drinking quality water (nor do we need it) but something that doesn't clog up our washing machine, hot water heater, and pipes would be nice.

Any suggestions?

Mazuma has excellent filters, can be bought in any "Home-Pro"

what you need is an S27-122-50LR : against dirt and smell fill it with activated carbon & manganese, against chalk use de-ioniziser, using both, de-ionisizer in first place.

price has gone up this month from 15k to 19k per piece, installation very simple - and believe me, they do the job!!

for drinking water : RO-EC-501A, combination of 5 filters (american flag on top one!) and 14-l tank, as 40% of filtered water are not drinkable and discarded - installation not to easy, but possible with detailed explanation -water quality excellent!

Don't expect you have any local Home Pro out on the island but probably the big island will have a filter store with stainless steel tanks outside and bags of chemicals to fill them with. They should also have local knowledge of what is required for your water. It is not the same everywhere but as said activated carbon will probably be required to clean it up. If you have an iron problem then green manganese will probably also be recommended although here in Bangkok they seem to advise using anthracite now. Perhaps just a sand filter would clean it up enough for general use. Do get a large enough unit so that you don't clog it up too fast and husband gets the job of cleaning it every couple of weeks.

Believe we paid about 12k for two non brand name stainless 50 liter filters with materials about 3 years ago - and they delivered upcountry free.

Think of getting one of these at http://hyflux.com/pdt_aquovate.html

I have a well and piped public water, but, drink only bottled water in the form of Ice tea (boiled) or coffee but this gadget will cut down on bacteria and eliminate any potential shortages cause it takes the water out of thin air rather than any plumbing.

I am trying to get one in the future and will keep you posted.

Edited by mouse

I have a well and piped public water, but, drink only bottled water in the form of Ice tea (boiled) or coffee but this gadget will cut down on bacteria and eliminate any potential shortages cause it takes the water out of thin air rather than any plumbing.

A dehumidifier with added filter/UV light? Better check the running cost before you buy. :o

A dehumidifier with added filter/UV light? Better check the running cost before you buy. :o

We have a well and the company that drilled it also fitted a large filter unit filled with sand and gravel which works very well in cleaning the water.It stands about 6ft high and has a diameter of around 60 centimeters.Cost around 6000B.

hubby will be happy as cleaning it involves reversing the flow and opening another valve which flushes the dirt out.....this can be done with coffee/beer in one hand :D

Right now we are getting nice clean water from a spring in the mountains. However, with the prolonged drought we are experiencing I expect that to run dry soon. Our alternative source of water is from a well, brown slightly oily looking water. We have pumped the well dry, climbed down in it (deep water drilling is banned on the island) and scrubbed it and scooped out the mud on the bottom (ok, hubby did it :D ). The water came out a lighter shade of brown with less oily stuff but still not clean. I have bought pond cleaners from the US (bacterial agents that work to clean it out) which have helped somewhat but not much. What we are looking for is something that will filter the water as it comes out of the tank (we pump the water up to a tank).  We don't expect drinking quality water (nor do we need it) but something that doesn't clog up our washing machine, hot water heater, and pipes would be nice.

Any suggestions?

Apart from the filters that have been suggested already, another thing that can help sanatise the water is Sansom.

This stuff really works.Here is a quote that I dug up from a web sight.

In 1988, while living on the beautiful island of Phuket in south Thailand, locals introduced us to a crystal named "SanSom" (Thai for "sour stone"). They used the "SanSom" to clear well water, to stop itching of mosquito bites and as a body deodorant

Sansom is CHEAP..about 10baht/kg at a local market. :o

If you want to learn about sansom (alum) try this link

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alum

Most people seem to have stopped using it here in Thailand and switched to commercial deodorants.  As for cleaning water I can only guess what it might taste like after seeing what it does to blood when I use a styptic pencil. :D

I agree Lop, except I use it as a deoderant. You can buy it here now commercially packaged(Stick/Spray).The product is skin-friendly, hypoallergenic and contains no Aluminum Chlorohydrate or Methyl Parabens(that have been linked with cancer) that modern deoderants contain.It works on the principlal that it actually kills the bactaria that causes BO and does not interfere with the bodies normal process.

There is also a product containing Alum that is the most amazing fridge de0derant that I have ever seen...and we all know what a fridge with Thai leftovers can smell like :o

As for the taste...I thought the water was for showering and washing ..... :D

We use sansom already. I put a big chunk into a cut off panty hose, tie it with a string and hang it in the well.

The gravel/sand idea sounds great, is this coming from the pump into the tank or out of the tank into the pipes? We have two big tanks on top of the hill behind our place and hubby worries any filter from the tank to the pipe would seriously decrease water pressure.

Had a bit of a scare already as the water stopped running today but got the teenage nephew to climb up the mountain and he got the water running again. He says there is still water in the spring but it is getting low. Believe it's a matter of a week or two unless it RAINS!!! :o

We use sansom already. I put a big chunk into a cut off panty hose, tie it with a string and hang it in the well.

The gravel/sand idea sounds great, is this coming from the pump into the tank or out of the tank into the pipes? We have two big tanks on top of the hill behind our place and hubby worries any filter from the tank to the pipe would seriously decrease water pressure.

Had a bit of a scare already as the water stopped running today but got the teenage nephew to climb up the mountain and he got the water running again. He says there is still water in the spring but it is getting low. Believe it's a matter of a week or two unless it RAINS!!!  :o

With the sansom, I believe you need lots .have you tried smashing it first into little bitty pieces before you put it in panty hose? more surface area etc.

Best you remove the Panty Hose first though. :D:D

Best you remove the Panty Hose first though. :D  :D

Last time I wore pantyhose was in the US. These are more like nylon socks, which I don't wear here either. :o Hate pantyhose.

Anyway, sansom doesn't really need to be crushed to be effective as it does dissolve, which is why I have a big chunk, I want it to dissolve slowly, hopefully purifying more volume of water.

This sand/gravel filter sounds interesting, trawler, was it something they made themselves or was it some kind of factory built thing?

Best you remove the Panty Hose first though. :D  :D

Last time I wore pantyhose was in the US. These are more like nylon socks, which I don't wear here either. :o Hate pantyhose.

Anyway, sansom doesn't really need to be crushed to be effective as it does dissolve, which is why I have a big chunk, I want it to dissolve slowly, hopefully purifying more volume of water.

This sand/gravel filter sounds interesting, trawler, was it something they made themselves or was it some kind of factory built thing?

It's probably the same as the one we have at the house here and the ones around our moo ban. You could probably pick up a second hand one for next to nothing.They work on the same principal as a sand filter on a swimming pool.

I'm sure Lop will know where to purchase.

From Trawler post believe he has the same type of stainless steel unit I mentioned but a single unit with both gravel and sand in it for filter. Cost also is in line with what I spent 3 years ago (12,000 baht for two units). It kind of looks like a rocket about six feet high with pipe input/outputs and screw closed cover. Am sure that there will be some place on Sumui that sells and probably installs them.

You have probably seen the two and three unit types used in restaurants and homes to filter drinking water. These are much larger versions but the same thing. Water under pressure going through a filter material and controls to reverse flow to clean them.