No Amnesty For Thaksin, Says Abhisit

sriracha john

No amnesty for Thaksin, says Abhisit

HONG KONG : Prime Minister Abhisit Vejjajiva said his government would consider granting amnesty to banned politicians as part of the reconciliation process, but stressed that Thaksin Shinawatra would not be among them.

Mr Abhisit yesterday called on ousted premier Thaksin Shinawatra to return home to face corruption charges.

"He can expect justice from Thailand. He must accept the consequence of his actions," he said at the Foreign Correspondents' Club (FCC) in Hong Kong. "We are talking about amnesty for what would be political violations. We are not interested in granting amnesty for criminal offences," he said.

"[Thaksin's] been convicted. He must accept responsibilities."

Continued:

postlogo.jpg

-- Bangkok Post 2009-05-16

Edited by sriracha john

acc10.jpg

Abhisit pushes Tsang for Thaksin extradition deal

Thai Prime Minister Abhisit Vejjajiva has pushed Hong Kong Chief Executive Donald Tsang Yam-kuen to move quickly on an agreement to help extradite Thaksin Shinawatra should he set foot in Hong Kong again.

Following a meeting in Hong Kong between the two, Abhisit said Tsang is ''working on it and I hope to see a quick conclusion.''

The prime minister called on Thaksin, his predecessor, to return home to face corruption charges, but ruled out the possibility of granting him amnesty.

Abhisit, who visited Hong Kong after months of anti-government protests by Thaksin's supporters in Thailand, said his predecessor should face the consequences.

''He can expect justice from Thailand. He must accept the consequence of his actions,'' he said at the Foreign Correspondents' Club in Hong Kong, the same venue Thaksin was due to speak at in early March.

Abhisit said his government will consider granting amnesty to opposition party members as part of the reconciliation process, but stressed that Thaksin will not be among them.

''We are talking about amnesty for what would be political violations. We are not interested in granting amnesty for criminal offences,'' he said.

''[Thaksin]'s been convicted. He has violated the law. He must accept responsibilities.''

In March, Thaksin cancelled his trip to Hong Kong following pressure from the Thai government on Beijing. He eventually spoke at the FCC via videolink a few days later.

Agence France-Presse / 2009-05-16

Thai PM says country getting 'back to business'

HONG KONG: Thailand's prime minister said his country is getting "back to business" after months of political and economic turmoil that has felled Southeast Asia's second-biggest economy.

Prime Minister Abhisit Vejjajiva met with investors, business leaders and officials in Hong Kong on Friday to offer assurances about Thailand's stability after violent protests rattled the international community.

"Behind the pictures that you see on the news and on the television and beyond the headlines, Thailand continues to get back to business," Abhisit told reporters at Hong Kong's Foreign Correspondents' Club.

The government, he said, is carrying out measures to help the economy weather the global downturn, and resolving the nation's worst political crisis in years through a reconciliation process handled by Parliament.

Thailand has been riven by civil unrest since the ouster of Prime Minister Thaksin Shinawatra in a 2006 military coup for alleged corruption and abuse of power. Political demonstrators have shut down Bangkok's airports and clashed in the capital's streets in recent months, hurting tourism at a time when the country can least afford it.

The country's economy, hit by slumping overseas demand for its exports and other effects of the financial crisis, is widely seen as contracting in the first quarter of this year.

Last month, protesters seeking Abhisit's resignation forced the cancellation of an Asian leaders' summit after they stormed a hotel in the seaside resort of Pattaya where meetings were to be held. Some visiting leaders fled by helicopter.

Mr. Abhisit, trying to allay worries about upcoming summits, said an international meeting hosted in Thailand last week went smoothly. He said a new postponement this week of the Asian summit was due to scheduling conflicts.

"We are ready and can host a meeting of that kind," he said.

Mr. Abhisit also reiterated the government's stance that Thaksin, who went into exile to escape corruption cases facing him at home, should be held accountable.

"He can expect justice in Thailand, and he must accept the consequences of his actions," Abhisit said.

"We will not discriminate against him, but we cannot discriminate for him."

- Associated Press / 2009-05-16

PM affirms no amnesty plans for Thaksin

BANGKOK, 16 May 2009 (NNT) – During his visit to Hong Kong, Prime Minister Abhisit Vejjajiva told reporters that former Prime Minister Thaksin Shinawatra can expect justice from the government if he returns to face charges in Thailand. Mr Abhisit said that Thaksin must be ready to accept responsibility for his past actions.

Mr. Abhisit revealed that the government considered granting amnesty to certain members of the opposition party for political misconduct, which was part of the national reconciliation process.

He affirmed, however, that no amnesty would be granted to Thaksin for his criminal charges, as these charges were serious.

AFP reporters revealed that former Prime Minister Thaksin was wanted by the Thai government for allegedly inciting a riot among red shirt protesters in April, resulting in 2 deaths.

During his visit to Hong Kong, Mr. Abhisit discussed the matter of apprehending Thaksin with Hong Kong Chief Executive, Sir Donald Tsang.

Mr. Abhisit requested that the Hong Kong administration detain Thaksin and extradite him to Thailand if he ever returned to Hong Kong.

nntlogo.jpg

-- NNT 2009-05-16

I'm not being funny. I don't agree with either side because neither could give two hoots about the good of the people. But when someone who hasn't been eleceted, is saying that they're going to give amnesty to former 'political criminals' it kind of makes you cringe.

Sorry, but all of this is so laughable. I just wish there was one good person amongst all of them.

Corruption is a way of life here, accept it. (If it wasn't, half of us 'farangs' wouldn't be here)

would consider granting amnesty to banned politicians

The right term to me should be "to give justice back to them". If I'm not wrong, no country has such a law that if my brother is guilty, he, my sisters and I will not be allowed to stay in our house for 5 years and the whole house is burnt down.

In a civilized country, if my brother is guilty, he is the only one going to jail.

I wish the law will say that if a party member does wrong or if the party has fault which can lead to party disolve, all party members are banned from politics forever.

Now it is time I don't want them to bring back 2540 Constitution Law.

acc10.jpg

Thai Prime Minister Abhisit Vejjajiva has pushed Hong Kong Chief Executive Donald Tsang Yam-kuen to move quickly on an agreement to help extradite Thaksin Shinawatra should he set foot in Hong Kong again.

Following a meeting in Hong Kong between the two, Abhisit said Tsang is ''working on it and I hope to see a quick conclusion.''

The prime minister called on Thaksin, his predecessor, to return home to face corruption charges, but ruled out the possibility of granting him amnesty.

Abhisit, who visited Hong Kong after months of anti-government protests by Thaksin's supporters in Thailand, said his predecessor should face the consequences.

FAKE!

falsification of documents/news

That article above isn't an AFP article, news quack Srj John must have edited his own version, maybe the original wasn't 'good enough' for his own version of the truth.

the AFP news article had the headline: Thai PM urges Thaksin to return home to face charges

you can read it here on yahoo news or as hosted by google

Bangkok Post published the AFP content as well, but they edited the last part out. maybe someone at the Post didn't liked the sentence : "Thaksin remains a deeply divisive figure in Thailand; he enjoys wide support from the country's largely rural poor but is a hate figure for powerful Bangkok-based cliques in the palace, military and bureaucracy."

anyway, what Sri John here pasted isn't the AFP news anymore. mutilated, cut out and cut up, altered, changed, rewritten. to pass that as genuine Agence France-Presse news is a lie, fake and fraud. much more phoney than the 'distorded information' the PM is talking about.

only a couple of days ago our news quack Sri John wrote: "The day that non-accountable bloggers, especially ones so loose with the truth as bangkok pundit often is, are considered a "recognized news source", as requested for by Admin, is the day they close down Reuters."

what he demand from others obviously does not apply to himself.

acc10.jpg

FAKE!

falsification of documents/news

That article above isn't an AFP article, news quack Srj John must have edited his own version, maybe the original wasn't 'good enough' for his own version of the truth.

the AFP news article had the headline: Thai PM urges Thaksin to return home to face charges

you can read it here on yahoo news or as hosted by google

Bangkok Post published the AFP content as well, but they edited the last part out. maybe someone at the Post didn't liked the sentence : "Thaksin remains a deeply divisive figure in Thailand; he enjoys wide support from the country's largely rural poor but is a hate figure for powerful Bangkok-based cliques in the palace, military and bureaucracy."

anyway, what Sri John here pasted isn't the AFP news anymore. mutilated, cut out and cut up, altered, changed, rewritten. to pass that as genuine Agence France-Presse news is a lie, fake and fraud. much more phoney than the 'distorded information' the PM is talking about.

only a couple of days ago our news quack Sri John wrote: "The day that non-accountable bloggers, especially ones so loose with the truth as bangkok pundit often is, are considered a "recognized news source", as requested for by Admin, is the day they close down Reuters."

what he demand from others obviously does not apply to himself.

Well I'd like to be the first to congratulate SJ on his new position in The Standard. Or are they copy'n'pasting from ThaiVisa now?

The right term to me should be "to give justice back to them". If I'm not wrong, no country has such a law that if my brother is guilty, he, my sisters and I will not be allowed to stay in our house for 5 years and the whole house is burnt down.

In a civilized country, if my brother is guilty, he is the only one going to jail.

I wish the law will say that if a party member does wrong or if the party has fault which can lead to party disolve, all party members are banned from politics forever.

Now it is time I don't want them to bring back 2540 Constitution Law.

Knowingly letting a wanted criminal stay in your home is called Aiding and Abetting and is a crime.

So is giving them money to escape or lending them your car etc.

Helping a wanted criminal on the run to foment insurrection for his own profit,

is Aiding a Abetting a Criminal Enterprise.

Your son deals large amounts of cocaine or crack from your home,

and when he gets caught, they can and will take the house,

since it was used in commission of a crime.

And the family should have observed aberrant behavior

and put a stop to it.

Then there are Good Samaritan Laws, preventing INACTION,

requiring that we try to save a life, or stop a crime if safe to do so.

Like running off some kids mugging an 80 year old grandmother

Plenty of laws punishing those NOT acting to STOP A CRIME.

The MP's not in the executive are not punished,

other than they must start again to create a party or join another party.

They don't lose anything but their 'guilty of corruption' leadership.

Edited by animatic

acc10.jpg

< Tripe Snipped >

Well I'd like to be the first to congratulate SJ on his new position in The Standard. Or are they copy'n'pasting from ThaiVisa now?

Thanks for your post, Insight.

I hadn't seen it because I had put this guy on ignore as his irrational/illogical/erroneous tirades became impossible to bear.

It seems his ludicrous and false accusations are even more ludicrous and false than before.

Indeed, it was an AFP article posted on one of Hong Kong's largest publications with a half-million readers.

Edited by sriracha john

acc10.jpg

< Tripe Snipped >

I hadn't seen it because I had put this guy on ignore as his irrational/illogical/erroneous tirades became impossible to bear.

It seems his ludicrous and false accusations are even more ludicrous and false than before.

Indeed, it was an AFP article posted on one of Hong Kong's largest publications with a half-million readers.

Can you post a link to clear your name? If it is a printed version, could you please post a scan copy?

Censorship in action.

< Tripe Snipped >

Can you post a link to clear your name? If it is a printed version, could you please post a scan copy?

Not that there's any need to clear my name, but I am curious.

Do you even read what you quote? :)

The link is right there in your own quote...

Edited by sriracha john

Censorship in action.

There is a reference to it that makes it counter to LM laws,

and also totally redundant for most all living in Thailand anyway.

Is this actually 'NEWS' to anyone in Thailand... I think not.

It's not like they are hiding/censoring something everyone DOESN'T know...

Edited by animatic

News agencies do frequently change their headlines after a few hours, and tweak content without creating a new story.

Bangkok Post pays for the content and can delete parts if they see fit

John is not a cheat therefore or a media pollutant, though given the thousands upon thousands of articles he has aggregated and pasted without paying for copyright reproduction (where such is required), he, and many others are, witting or unwitting internet pirates.

Don't expect to see Bangkok Post and Nation as free sites for much longer. The media can't afford to give it away for free anymore.

Censorship in action.

Let me get this right.You are saying that censorship is not censorship if everyone knows anyway that it is the truth that is being censored.

What a tangled knot we weave when first we practice to deceive.I think most people recognise intellectual dishonesty when they see it.

Still for all the self regarding prattle of expatriates with too much time on their hands on this forum, there is an unstoppable debate -albeit muted - going on in the country at large.And that can't be censored.

Censorship in action.

Let me get this right.You are saying that censorship is not censorship if everyone knows anyway that it is the truth that is being censored.

What a tangled knot we weave when first we practice to deceive.I think most people recognise intellectual dishonesty when they see it.

Still for all the self regarding prattle of expatriates with too much time on their hands on this forum, there is an unstoppable debate -albeit muted - going on in the country at large.And that can't be censored.

No I didn't say that.

Nor did I say the debate should or could be stiffled.

But endlessly repeating the same lines in the news papers doesn't better inform people

if it has been printed 10-20 times already. News print has a cost per letter,

and as Journalist rightly notes the editors can decide what is NEWS vs OLD NEWS in their opinions.

It is not dishonest to not repeat the obvious to those who have already heard it dozens of times.

Censorship is hiding the unknown to prevent the public from knowing it,

not endlessly reiterating what is common knowledge to all.

I note SJ scrupulously keeps attributions and amounts of quotable text per the request of the sources.

He typically gives enough to let you know the subject and then where to go for more of it at the source.

One version of 'Intellectual Dishonesty' is trying to twist the words of others to inverse meanings for your own gain.

Edited by animatic

As I said most people can recognise intellectual dishonesty when they see it.The comment above is a good example.

As I said most people can recognise intellectual dishonesty when they see it.The comment above is a good example.

OR taking something out of context to prove and inverse point.

As in THIS example.

OR taking something out of context to prove and inverse point.

As in THIS example.

But the example I gave had a very clear context.Anyone can see what it was.

Why would Abhisit pursue amnesty for Thaksin when he was installed by a junta who granted themselves amnesty after ousting Thaksin. At least Abhisit is consistent and doesn't get swayed by morals or silly ideas like democracy!

No that is not what censorship means...

Look it up sometime... Censoring information has nothing to do with something is "Unknown" or "Known"... They censor curse words on the radio in the west, people KNOW curse words, but removing that content is still censoring.... Same with nudity on TV or the NET in Thailand, and so on, censorship as NOTHING at all to do with KNOWN / UNKNOWN.

Why would Abhisit pursue amnesty for Thaksin when he was installed by a junta who granted themselves amnesty after ousting Thaksin. At least Abhisit is consistent and doesn't get swayed by morals or silly ideas like democracy!

that word and thailand don't mix and probably won't for another 50 years. Thaksin and his cronies are not democratic either.... all sides in thailand are un-democratic

Edited by MyphuketLife

if the proceeds of criminal activity are used in the purchase and maintenance of your analogous house and relatives , why shouldn't they also face the consequences?

I am still undecided as to if you are a construct - your photobucket album only containing shill material makes me wonder.

Don't expect to see Bangkok Post and Nation as free sites for much longer. The media can't afford to give it away for free anymore.

they could always design a better "buggy whip" :) - some interesting reading on the matter is in links below

http://www.guardian.co.uk/media/2009/may/1...siness-internet

http://news.slashdot.org/article.pl?sid=09/05/17/143206

ask yourself why the news quack Sri John didn't do that at the frist time? because he is a cheat and excuse lies with another lie.

first he claims it is from AFP, now he changed it to be from TheStandard.hk and false informations come only from others.

and now suddenly the www.thestandard.com.hk becomes the publishing organ of AFP. HK largest publication with a half-million readers, so news quack Sri John says (without any back up or evidence for such claim) that is irrational/illogical/erroneous BS, as we can read it so often from Sri John.

that is a free 'newspaper', contains mainly advertising. distributed at MTR stations nd hotels.

look at the alexa page rank for their online version.

that is such obviously BS what SJ want to tell, and it's amusing how his fan boys come for support.

^ I think you should lie down on a couch and talk to somebody.

You do understand that AFP stories are sold to various media outlets? In this case, TheStandard decided to publish the AFP article?

&lt;deleted&gt; does the page rank of the site have to do with the article in question!?!

Your post has seriously placed you in outright-moron territory.

that is such obviously BS what SJ want to tell, and it's amusing how his fan boys come for support.

your argument makes no logical sense - are you saying that the article is incorrect ?

what is your reason for posting links to alexa - the scourge they are ?