Getting Your Own Internet/telephone Connection To A Condo

Can you get your own telephone line installed into your condo so as to get better internet or, do your have to suffer the condo managements slow connection.

You certainly can. In our previous building, they had a contract with True.

True brought it all in 1 - phone line (and number), ADSL connection and router.

The Internet connection was at chosen speed (then it was max - 2Mbps or even 4Mbps, can't remember).

New condo is with TOT, the phone line came from them but there was no time to organize ADSL. Next time.

In that building, True was not their chosen carrier, only wireless (True) was possible, some people did that.

Ok Thanks,as I was being fobbed off with I have to use the condos rubbish connection and they were trying to tell me I cannot have my own line to my condo,I thought this may be a scam....

Do you have your own phone number, no extensions, no dialing "0" to call from your condo?

Think_too_mut

At this current time the condo has no phone at all,I asked about putting in my own line to my condo and was told I cannot,I found this a little strange seeing as its my condo,but its a manager and Thai committee running the building.

Nick

Think_too_mut

At this current time the condo has no phone at all,I asked about putting in my own line to my condo and was told I cannot,I found this a little strange seeing as its my condo,but its a manager and Thai committee running the building.

Nick

It's getting more complicated now and possibly, the building might be right.

The building would have some phone line for itself. It is important to know if that link is hanging off a digital exchange - that would enable ADSL.

Providing the wires are already there (in the walls) to your condo, just have to be patched on the patch panel downstairs (telco people do that).

Whatever you try, the first thing any provider does (unless they are already in the building with their business and know) if your phone number (that you do not have now) is to check if your phone line is ADSL capable.

Our first place was like that. The building had 10 lines shared among 100 condos for phone calls. No direct numbers. Extensions, you type it at voice prompt.

Then, they got True to install the router (a big box, at the ground floor,in a cabinet) to allow all to have Internet access. They called it (and charged 600B per month) high-speed but it was not, just a tad better than 56Kbps modem.

For your own phone line, it is doable but may cost a few K baht, if the building agrees. You would need some reason - working from home over the net or something. Then you are free to go with any provider you want. .....if the line is ADSL capable, a provider has to confirm that.

I don't think it is an outright scam.

"just have to be patched on the patch panel downstairs (telco people do that)."

I had a different problem. When I bought my condo and had the phone number assigned, the telco provided the signal to the condo, but initially refused to connect the line (similar to the US, the owner was expected to connect the tip and ring). I complained, and the telco finally completed the connection. A real pain in the a$$.