Renewing 5 Year Driving Licence In Pattaya

Jan46

My 5 year Thai driver licence is up for renewal. Now I stay here on a tourist visa.

Some report that they get renewal on a TR, other say you need a NON Imm visa.

What is the latest renewal requirement from Pattaya Land Transportation office ?

TR visa ok, or must have NON Imm visa ?

Medical certificate?

Residence Permit from Immigration ?

Affidavit from your embassy ?

Other?

Mod's: please keep this post in Pattaya section

Edited by Jan46

If you look in the Motoring Forum there is a pinned topic which should answer your question.

All the best.

PS - Don't forget that you can't apply for your new licence until the old one has expired.

Thanks for your reply.

Did look there before I posted here, that pinned topic is 19 pages looong and goes back many years...

Because i didn't find any "fresh" info about Pattaya and their up to date requirement -- I still hope someone who resently been there / done that, can post their experience. After all, TIT and they change change change.

General requirements are non-immigration visa, med certificate, proof of address (embassy letter or immigration letter) etc as listed in the pinned thread.

Now some reports say that renewal with TR is accepted but i doubt there is any policy as such that some offices always accept TR. I would expect that some will report it's ok and some that they were denied. I guess you just have to go and try and take it from there. Not sure if immigration will issue you address letter with TR either. Again, only way to know for sure is to go and ask one.

Nowdays you can renew anywhere, so it does not need to be your home town DLT office. Also there has been reports in Bangkok that you need to watch some traffic rules education video and take the eye tests etc before they renew your licence.

There are also reports circulating the Pattaya boards that you do not have to let your previous licence expire now before renewing it. They do like to keep us guessing...

It says on the back of my one that you can renew up to 3 months before expiry date.

I have just completed my 5yr renewal, I had the usual 30 day tourist visa (what the give you at the airport).

1. Med Cert (in date)

2. Residence permit

3. Copy of passport and visa (you must sign on the copy)

Note that if you want a motorcycle licence - make a second copy of all the above, basically 1 per licence

- Arrive at the Office at 0745hrs, get in line and fill out the form the desk at the front of the office will check all yr documents and allocate you a number.

- Proceed upstairs and wait for yr number to come up, go to desk 1 and hand over the documents and 1650bht I think it was for 2 licences.

- Wait for the staff to call you fwd and have yr pic taken

- Collect yr new 5yr licence

It took me around 1hr 30mins to complete everything and I arrived at 0900hrs

It helps if you dress sober, no cut off shorts and or no money no honey T shirts and smile - even if the line is long

Hope this helps :)

My 5 year Thai driver licence is up for renewal. Now I stay here on a tourist visa.

Some report that they get renewal on a TR, other say you need a NON Imm visa.

What is the latest renewal requirement from Pattaya Land Transportation office ?

TR visa ok, or must have NON Imm visa ?

Medical certificate?

Residence Permit from Immigration ?

Affidavit from your embassy ?

Other?

Mod's: please keep this post in Pattaya section

I have just completed my 5yr renewal, I had the usual 30 day tourist visa (what the give you at the airport).

1. Med Cert (in date)

2. Residence permit

Note that if you want a motorcycle licence - make a second copy of all the above, basically 1 per licence

- Arrive at the Office at 0745hrs, get in line and fill out the form the desk at the front of the office will check all yr documents and allocate you a number.

- Proceed upstairs and wait for yr number to come up, go to desk 1 and hand over the documents and 1650bht I think it was for 2 licences.

It helps if you dress sober, no cut off shorts and or no money no honey T shirts and smile - even if the line is long

Thanks for that LenB. I have to renew mine in a month. Is the residence permit the certificate you get at Jomtien immigration? And if you want to renew both a car and motorbike license do you need to get 2 residence permits?

Not a residence permit but letter from immigration or from your embassy stating your address in Thailand. Original + one copy is enough for both licences. This applies to medical cert as well.

1. Med Cert (in date)

2. Residence permit

Thanks for that LenB. I have to renew mine in a month. Is the residence permit the certificate you get at Jomtien immigration? And if you want to renew both a car and motorbike license do you need to get 2 residence permits?

Yes it is, when you go to Section 9, ensure you tell the lady that you require both car & bike and she will produce 2 certificates, you need 2 x med certs also. In other area's it may differ but this is the surest way in Pattaya to get this task completed. :D

LenB is quite right in his advice, but I only paid 305 for bike and about 555 baht for the car licence both 5 years last month? These were the new style plastic style so maybe the prices have gone up but I think not? I applied about two months before renewal date and was issued with 5 years plus additional months up to DOB month.

They insisted on Med certificate and (residence certificates Jomtien immigration type) both x 2, which meant another day as I did not have them.

See : http://www.pattayaexpatsclub.info/thaidrivinglicense.php

Good luck...

No tests as such, but you must have a medical certificate and paperwork as per LenB

Regards

Paul

I also have to renew my car and bike licences next month. When I got them for the first time last year I had an International licence as well as a UK licence so i didn't need to take a driving test. Will I have to do ANY tests for renewal, driving or sight and response, or is it just a matter of having the correct paperwork?

I was there today, denied 5 year, could get 1 year IF I took the written test and driving test first. :)

I left with unfinished business. I am on tourist visa and had all the paperwork mentioned here.

Have made a new topic about this, so people know what might happend to some.

I think that was always like that, only one year on tourist visa. You need a Non-o or -b to get the longer extensions... and I think rightfully so. If you're on a tourist visa you're a tourist so why do you need a Thai drivers license - your normal license from your home country should work.... Sorry if I overlooked something... Maybe it's just part of the clampdown on those de-facto living here on tourist visas, wouldn't be the first time.

Edited by Phil Conners

Seems that you are right. Just so strange they gave me 5 year lisence 5 years ago, but today I only get 1 yr and most do the 2 tests again.

My "fault" is that I am not 50 yrs old, and not legally married here.

After 10 yrs expat here, I am still considered a tourist only.

Hope some people can stop write false rumors on this forum. We should be here to help and assist eachother - but "each to his own" seems to be the attitude most times.

We should be here to help and assist eachother - but "each to his own" seems to be the attitude most times.

Only 5 post and you already criticize everybody here ? :D

Hope some people can stop write false rumors on this forum.

Which false rumors please ?

You told us you are on a "tourist visa 2 entry from Laos"

Isn't it logic they consider you as a Tourist ? :)

Good luck

We should be here to help and assist eachother - but "each to his own" seems to be the attitude most times.

Only 5 post and you already criticize everybody here ? :D

Hope some people can stop write false rumors on this forum.

Which false rumors please ?

You told us you are on a "tourist visa 2 entry from Laos"

Isn't it logic they consider you as a Tourist ? :)

Good luck

Pattaya46 My God, you realy got things the wrong way, dont you. You seem clueless in many things.(now I use same language you used to him) And because he only has 5 post he's not allowed to say what most farang in Thailand say???

Seems that he been here much longer than you in Thailand. And I not see he criticize everybody as you wrote. He state the facts.

90% of my friends here, never post here - never. Some read but never post. Reason they give is too many people here only here for make other agitated, and too many untru stories. Other might post a time or two, but then they do as most people, only read. You computer warriors are the reason. I see the posts you have made and you seem to be quit aggressive. That just proof again that many farangs attack other farangs here. If we had any brain all of us, we would have do same the foreigners who live back home in our contry of original. They always stay together and help eachother. In Thailand the situation its not so.

Check down your screen when login, see number of members - see number of Guests - get it?????

letter from immigration or from your embassy stating your address in Thailand.

Copy of WP or yellow house book also works.

I was just about going to ask that. I do have my yellow tabien Baan, which I used for renewal last time, but then I also still had a Non-Immigrant visa in my passport. Now I'm back in Canada, but my five year Thai license is coming up for renewal next May. I'd hate to fly over on a tourist visa, only to be told, that I can't get another 5 year DL without a Non Immigrant visa.

The other question I have is, I know you can renew a little bit early, before the 5 years are up, but how long, will they let you renew, after the 5 years expire? Is there a deadline? I'd hate to fly over, just to renew my drivers license, but I also don't want to start again, with a one year license, if I miss the renewal deadline :)

Any thoughts on the matter?

I just renewed my 5 year lisc in Bangkok on 2 June and all that was required was:

1. Complete short form

2. Passport with 1 year visa and copy of visa and first page

3. Resident certificate that I got at Immigration. I dont think this document was actually required. I needed it because I was changing my old address to a new one.

4. B 655

Had to take a eye test (color) and watched a film on traffic safety.

• 3 weeks later...

You are forgetting hundreds of us oil workers on 28/28 rotations. Many of us have lived here for years on tourist visas because there is no point of getting anything else if you can come for your 28 days off-shift on a tourist visa. We all have Thai licenses and you can renew for 5 years after your first 1-year temporary one expires. No worries.

I just renewed my 5 year lisc in Bangkok on 2 June and all that was required was:

1. Complete short form

2. Passport with 1 year visa and copy of visa and first page

3. Resident certificate that I got at Immigration. I dont think this document was actually required. I needed it because I was changing my old address to a new one.

4. B 655

Had to take a eye test (color) and watched a film on traffic safety.

No medical certificate? Anybody here know if Pattaya's requirements are the same as quoted above for Bangkok?