Buying A Motorbike In Thailand

Hello,

I'm thinking of buying a motorcycle in Thailand. But still have the following questions:

- What fuel usage does an average 250 cc bike have?

- Where can i get one? :-) Does anyone know one for sale, preferably in the south/middle?

- Does it need insurance? What's the cost and how does it go?

- Does i have to pay some kind of road-tax?

Would really help me out, anyone more tips? thanks so much in advance, greetings!!

Manoah

You can find motorcycles for salw everywhere in Thailand. A 250 would likely get 25km@litre [20bht@litre] Cost of ins and road tax 800bht,yr. try www.mocyc.com lots of used bikes. Also try search for driv.lic. You also need non immigrant visa for reg. in your name.

All right, thanks a lot!!

Hello,

I'm thinking of buying a motorcycle in Thailand. But still have the following questions:

- Where can i get one? :-) Does anyone know one for sale, preferably in the south/middle?

Would really help me out, anyone more tips? thanks so much in advance, greetings!!

Manoah

You can find motorcycles for salw everywhere in Thailand. A 250 would likely get 25km@litre [20bht@litre] Cost of ins and road tax 800bht,yr. try www.mocyc.com lots of used bikes. Also try search for driv.lic. You also need non immigrant visa for reg. in your name.

You can register the bike with just a 30 day entry stamp now. The old rules of a Non-Immigrant visa have changed'

I registered my pick up in my name with a 30 day stamp.

where can i get a thai motorcycle licence ??? im in bangkok with a non o visa....and how much is the cost of the licence.....im a rider in my country but my current licence have expired and well i am just interested in getting a thai motorcycle Licence now...and how long is the process for the test and cost

To add a little to "Simbo's" post.

Yes from either your Embassy or Thai immigration if you have been here long enough to have to register with them - a statement confirming your (accomodation) address.(where you live).

Yes several current photosa (don't forget to check which size they require this month.

Yes copy passport details incl visa.

Bill of sale if transferring rego (plus sellers info all (each page) signed).

Transfer doc from rego dept to be signed by both buyer & seller

Dont forget to sign each page of your own details as well.

Aust embassy price varys for Stat Dec - Baht 600+>50.

This list is not exhaustive add everyones advice together and you may have enough depends on the day and where you are - do not take this as doom&gloom the Thai behind the desk just wants you to provide what they have been told to view - I have found them to be very helpful both here (Nonthaburi & Udon Thani) all the best.

Mijan24 :o

Hello,

Manoah

250 cc is the lower end of the 'big bike' category here. Thais think the 150 sportbikes and the 200cc Honda Phantom are big. Anything over 200 can be dodgy about its origin, registration, etc. If you'll be living where you make long road trips, get a 400 or bigger. Otherwise, 150 or 200 work well, are perfectly legal, parts and service easy to get, etc. I just got a new front tire for my CBR150: less than 500 baht, new, tubeless and top of the line.